The VG Resource

Full Version: Guess what? Mr. Instable is back for another second. x.x
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yes. I want real bad to stay here, as I want to grow as an artist in general, but life sucks and I'm really passing a bad time. Anyways, now I must think of a way of making (little) money. So, I planned spamming ALL ART MEDIUMS with my art. Wich means music, animation and all. Well, I can do it, I just need to train like crazy, I'm almost being expelled from home. I want to train and make an RPG Maker game (wich can't be sold, but what ever, I don't want to directly make money out of it, I just will have it as a way of getting better at art AND spreading my name) Very Sad

I want to fill the game with art and things of the like... I find myself very skilled to do many things, including animating... With one sole exception, wich is the most ridiculous of all, for someone wich can make other, more complex things :

I can't make the goddamn 3 frame walking animation. I just can't. So, I want C+C, and I seriously need help, C+C, tips, I need to grow at monster rate. x.x

[Image: m7evit.png]

This is the charset. I will make the backgrounds handdrawn, probably, I'll make mugshots for virtually every character and NPC, Battle backgrounds will certainly be handdrawn. I didn't yet choose if I'm going to use double scaled sprites on RMVX or if I am going to just go with RM2k3, wich I think has an horrible battle system. Well, tips? Thank you, really, for your time reading this crap. Don't kill me for wanting to make money - Me and my family seriously needs money, and normal jobs won't really let me work AND take care of the home at the same time. x.x-

THANKS ~ Heart *covers for barrage of flame arrows*
The sprite is waaaay too small. You should really make it larger and more readable.
I need it to be small because it must fit Rm2k3's restrictions, wich are 24x32 for charsets. >:
The resolution is 320x240, however, if I go to RmVX, It'll be (544x416) / 2 = 272x207... (I'll have clashing reaolutions tough, as the battle backgrounds would be High-Def, but the characters would be 2x) (It doesn't look always ulgy.)

Hm, I can make it a [/i]little[/i] bigger, tough. I'm afraid I'll have problems with the tiles if I do so. >:

Nnnhm, I dunno what should I do. >.<
Seriously.

I mean, I made them so they are like your average snes/gba sprite. >:

Is it still too small, even for such resolutions? As you can see, I'm completely lost. Ouch!
ok stop right there.

gambling your luck on sprites wont save your life. i feel like warning you right before you think it would be a matter of spriting things and making a life out of it. and isnt the most profitable either unless you got a solid acreer going on wich you obiusly arent going to achieve in the short term. its not like mining shit out of earth and sell it at the town's market. it doesnt work like that and anyone around who had quite an experience in the field will probably advice you the same thing.

if you're short on resources and you actually need money to support yourself go and get a proper job and focus on it instead of having the faith that improving your rpgmaker skills will save your economical situation, because they WONT.
Unless you think you can save your economical situation with some bucks, I don't think you can manage it (as Metaru said). You can still make them just to improve your sprite skills, though.

That being said, the sprite seems small because of the readability. You may want to play with the character's proportion so people could distinguish them without problems. Make bigger heads and wide bodies; this will give you more breathing space.
I do not plan on gain money through it, not at all. I plan on earning (a little) money out of what is doable where I am - I am actually planning to earn money by creating animations for marriage, since these are so (relatively) easy to make, wich means I can go and make it, too, and those sorts of animations are actually in a frenzy in Brazil. I'm not in the legal age to work yet, even tough, I've already tattooed some people, even, yup, I'm a tattooist (forced by my mom, but I am. She is, too.)

My plan on RPG Maker is to help just divulging my art, you know? Just to help for me to be seen. I know, It is kind of selfish, but thas the best I can do, especially because It's a great medium for training all sorts of art. I do not, by any means, want to sell an RPG maker game. I think would be a shameful, almost cheap, and certainly unprofitable thing. I plan on selling my doushinji, tough. They might be cheap, but that is more than enough for helping at home and to keep me able to keep studying art. I need it, I feel kind of evil, however, If I don't show my family what I am doing is actually profitable (after achieving recognizement), I will be forced to become a tattooist. I'll be forced to live this life I really, really don't want to, and I'll be forced to act being who am I not. I know, I'm being cheap, however, pixel art is a hobby to me. As I stated, my real goal as an artist is to become an animator, wich is something I'm pretty good with. Also, RPGMaker games offer room for animated cutscenes, wich is great for me! I just need to be known a little, so I can have customers. Well, I'm not really sure if what I'm doing is right, but I mush try, for everything is better than becoming an underaged tattooist especially considering my... Tastes, towards people. (or lack of tastes, don't really can tell.)

Oh, I'm randomly blabbering, again. Omg, why does this has to happen? x.x

Edit: Read gorsal's post. I'll do so, soon I'll post the results.
oh

well, then go ahead. Showing your work off can make you to stand out, soooo

but as for now, just make a wider sprite so you can work on them fairly easy.
Um... I made it a little larger. I think the faces lost the FFiness in them, wich is a charm I absorbed and I tend to use in my sprites... Mut in trade of that they may be now better, eh?

[Image: 2ij1d04.png]

I liked it, however. Oh, there's also an example of my main char in his sleeping outfit. To see how a finished sprite'd look like.
So you're Brazilian, eh? Two of my friends are on missions in Brazil. I'll see what I can do to help you out.

Anyways, what do you mean by "lost that ffiness" (I'm assuming you mean final fantasy).
For now I'll study your posted art and some rpg sprites to see what changes could be made.

[Edit] August 19, 2010::
Here is my first study sample of your art and that of FF6 for SNES.
[Image: Submission1.png]

So far I I've noticed that the widths and heights are of different degrees. Today I will focus on how the height and shoulders vary.
(I am assuming that these differences in proportions are the cause of your sprite losing its final fantasy feel.)

Your character's shoulders are positioned directly below the edge of his head. The two FF6 characters (cyan and gau) have theirshoulders stick out for several pixels. (Left) Cyan's shoulder armor sticks out directly from the base of his head for 5 or 4 pixels. (Right) Gau's shoulders only stick out 2 pixels, but his arms slope out till they stick out as far as Cyan's shoulders.

A new detail I noticed is that your character's arm don't go beyond his head. Both of this FF6 sprites do, even though Gau's shoulders don't stick out much (but they do stick out more than your character).

:Unsureummery::
--Loss of FF feel could be because your sprite's arms & shoulders do not stick out beyond the width of his head.

(PS)
I decided that I will not cover vertical as there are some details I just realized that I did not cover.

For some reason your current sprite style reminds me of "The World Ends With You", even though the styles are quite varied.