The VG Resource

Full Version: A request for some help with a DOS game.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello fine fellows. I've recently taken up some new classes, and have had little time to work on spriting. However, a certain DOS game has eluded my grasp for a while now but I just recently got my hands on it again. Ironically named 'Fury of the Furries', this game has little to do with conventional furries of this day and instead stars disputably cute little Kirby-Like fuzzballs that journey through their world which has been overtaken by 'The Wicked One', a dark version of the furballs. This game is actually a very entertaining platform game and features many amusing references to popular culture, such as one level is a village and has a balloon-like monster that looks suspiciously like 'Rover' from 'The Prisoner'. Other notable references include a pac-man style maze, a rolling ball trap as seen in Raiders of the Lost Ark, and even an appearance by Dracula in one of the Castle stages.

The game is simple enough a concept, progress through the stages in linear order, finding the occasional bonus room, and defeating enemies by throwing fireballs or some other kind of attack. The twist comes from the ability to change your "Furry" (Referred to in-game as "Tinies") into various other elemental colors. Yellow is fire, Red is Earth, Green is Air, and Blue is Water. With each transformation comes different abilities for your furry little protagonist, and each has a use at some point in the game.

The game can be particularly long, and slightly difficult in later levels, and the controls and physics take some getting used to, but overall it's a very enjoyable game in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm intending to rip from this game, but I need a little help. I'd prefer to do it via extraction if possible, but I have found no tools fitting it's file system. Thus, I have no other means of ripping it other than the old way of Animget and Image Editing. I was hoping someone would like to venture into this with me, as it's a very expansive game and will require a lot of work to fully rip. I'm sure the game is available on various abandonware sites if one wishes to acquire it that way. I have tested it in dosbox and verified it as working perfectly. It has, however, been a while since I've been able to play it, so I have forgotten the controls to it (namely the control which allows one to element-change).

So, if you're interested in assisting me and making a contribution to the spriting community, please post here or PM me with any information you may find on either a proper extractor, or if you wish to help me rip via Animget and Image Editing.

Cheats are available through hex-editing, though it is still possible to die in-game by getting crushed, falling in a pit, or pressing the escape key (this causes your Tiny to self-destruct and restart the level). This doesn't matter though since one of the cheats allows for unlimited lives.

Backup the file FURY.EXE as whatever you wish, then with the one in the game file, use a hex editor (I use Notepad++ with hex editor plug-in) do the following:

For Infinite Lives...
Find: FF OE F7 1E
Change to: 90 90 90 90

For Invincibility...
Find: 83 3C FF 74 40 A1
Change to: 83 3C FF EB 40 A1
Find: E9 11 FF C7 06 BF
Change to: E9 11 FF E9 0E FF

Well, if you wish to help, please let me know, and we can get something going.