The VG Resource

Full Version: Research for Another Article
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Care to help me out again guys?

The article I'm prepping for this time is a comedy article about the different types of Gamer. Since it's going to be for a university paper, it'll have short 'where to find them' and 'do say/don't say' entries for each. There'll be about 6 or 7 Gamers listed in a Pokédex/Nature Watching Guide style.

Anyone can help me out with this, but if you're around University age, your help would be even more appreciated. I can work with both serious and non-serious answers, both helpful for different reasons. Answer it twice if you wanna!

1) If you had to give your 'Gamer Species' a name, what would it be?
2) Give me a brief rundown of your taste in Fashion.
3) If you had to pick 3 Gaming genres, what would they be?
4) If you had to pick 3 games period, what would they be (this doesn't necessarily have to agree with question 3!)
5) What's your favourite school subject/what course are you doing?
6) In your free time, where do you hang out? With whom?
7) What would someone say (gaming or nerd culture-related) that would have you like them?
8) What would someone say (gaming or nerd culture-related) that would piss you off?
9) Any other thoughts?

I'll be working on this over the remaining month and a half of my holiday, so you have time to think of your answers and discuss, I guess. If all goes well, Morgan will help me out illustrating the article too. ;3
Quote:1) If you had to give your 'Gamer Species' a name, what would it be?
HOMO sapiens (heh) I am not a REAL gamer per se, I just play them when I feel like playing. I can be very nitpicky sometimes and try to beat some challenge for hours or get addicted to a game and playing it all day but that doesn't happen a lot. I'm just a normal person that plays games usually.
I use jeans and t-shirt all the day. That is all
I don't have a very definite gaming genre that I like, but I guess 2d platformers, shmups and anything that supports simultaneous 4P
4) If you had to pick 3 games period, what would they be (this doesn't necessarily have to agree with question 3!)
Mischief Makers, Super Smash Bros, Rakugaki Showtime
I like all the subjects a little; I'm an all-around type of guy. I think I like math the most though
what free time--jokes aside, I like to hang out with my family and friends. We go to the restaurant sometimes to eat and talk shit
7) What would someone say (gaming or nerd culture-related) that would have you like them?
"I like Treasure and Konami."
8) What would someone say (gaming or nerd culture-related) that would piss you off?
"Video game music sucks"
9) Any other thoughts?
That's all, folks!
Frosty Chillunz ,because I like everything nice and cool when I'm gaming. Room temperature, the game, people I'm playing with, it's all gotta be cool.
Moderately fitting to baggy pants or shorts with a collared shirt. NEVER tight pants or non-collared shirt by itself. Need to stay classy to an extent!
Easily RPG, Run 'n' Gun and 2D Platformers.
Inazuma Eleven, Gunstar Heroes and Final Fantasy 9. Tough choice but they're always going to be in my top few.
Math, because I always got 80's or 90's in it, which is good for me.
I'll mostly hang out at the park and play soccer on the field either by myself, with my friends or even with strangers.
"I have played an Inazuma Eleven game and greatly enjoyed it."
"PS3 has no games." It's a 4 year old joke, it's not even applicable at this point!
9) Any other thoughts?
Mega Man 3 is better than the second game. Peace!
(08-13-2010, 09:13 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]1) If you had to give your 'Gamer Species' a name, what would it be?
obscūrus independens, I play a lot of more obscure games like Ogre Battle 64 and Sin & Punishment and Mischief Makers and God Hand and also some indie games like Cave Story and some things by Cactus
I don't really have much of a fashion sense except I think that peacoats are cool
2D fighters, beat-'em-ups, and shmups
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, Snatcher, and God Hand
philosophy
at each others' houses with my nerd friends
liking one of my favorite games or saying something about a game that shows some kind of actual understanding about game design [most people don't understand why good games are good hth]
http://www.examiner.com/xbox-360-in-nati...mes-suck-2
9) Any other thoughts?
if you're one of those idiots who thinks the words 'good graphics' are necessarily synonymous with 'newest graphics' you literally know nothing graphics, peace
Bossus Rushicus. I love boss battles so much that if a game doesn't have any enjoyable boss fights, it's almost grounds for me to completely ignore it, even if it's good. Games like Alien Soldier and No More Heroes where the emphasis is on the boss fights is where I thrive.

Jeans and a T-shirt, almost exclusively very simple t-shirts with little or no designs on them, aka BLAND.

Action Platformers, Action RPGs, Fighting

Kirby Superstar, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Alien Soldier

I've graduated with a bachelors in Illustration and Animation

Mostly at friends' houses, sometimes at bars

"They need to make an HD, downloadable, online coop and VS version of Guardian Heroes on the 360 and PS3"

"You should get [insert generic shooter with nothing new to bring to the table] when it comes out. Seriously, drop another 60 bucks on a game you bought 30 times before!"

9) Any other thoughts?

MAKE MORE GAMES WITH BOSS RUSH MODES!
(08-13-2010, 09:13 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]1) If you had to give your 'Gamer Species' a name, what would it be?
Chillcore. Don't know what else to name it; I'm a generally hardxXxXxcore gamer and I like to get into the big leagues with more competitive people (although now I'm a bit intimidated by it Sick), but it's just a thing out of fun. I could care less if I lose, and I generally don't get worked up by others, hence the chill bit.

Casual, comfortable clothing. My wardrobe isn't very exciting; I have some Aeropostale shirts, and I like loose jeans, but that's essentially it.

Shooter, Platformer, and Puzzle.

Halo Reach, Team Fortress 2, and No More Heroes 2.

That actually came a little too easy for me :.

Mathematics in general has always been a favorite of mine. Mostly because I pick up on it quickly and can apply it instantly.

Also physics. :B

And foreign languages are fun too.

I have a lot of plans in a month, but most of the time I try to hang out with friends by going to see a movie every once in a while or hanging out at someone's house. Simple, but it works~

If I ran into people who like the same games as me, then I would like them instantly. Instant connection, since they probably would also instantly like me back.

Honestly? It would be pretty easy to piss me off if someone was spouting quotes from video games or movies that they haven't even played nor seen before. For example, we all know TF2 quotes are witty. But I've run into *several* people who just spout it and spout it and spout it and they have no idea where the quotes even came from.

Seriously. It's annoying.

9) Any other thoughts?
There's really no such thing as a "bad game". Gonna throw that out there; some people get up-in-arms about how <<insert popular game here>> sucks, and if a bad game were to exist, it would literally have to be broken enough to not be enjoyable. It's just all about pubescent fanboys raging over how one console or one game or one section of a game trumps its so-called "counterpart".
Turdus Openworldus. Open world games, and really anything with a storyline/campaign longer than 8 hours(what's with all the short games coming out lately) are fun. The ability to do anything at any point or to customize your character are other nice bonuses

sorry what i'm kinda busy picking out clothes from hollister and american eagle what was the question

rpg, 3rd person shooter, platformer

ModNation Racers, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 2

uhhhhhhhhh math probably. Art classes are generally pretty fun/easy too.

with friends, either at their house or just /out/ somewhere (but what about the sun, guy!!!? Very Sad)

"Call of Duty is literally the Three Days Grace of video games."

any 4chan meme ever.
ever.
keep that shit online, you sound like a fucking idiot when you yell "FAIL" every time something stupid happens.

9) Any other thoughts?
military shooters and games where the general theme is CRAM AS MUCH BROWN INTO THE ENVIRONMENT AS POSSIBLE can fuck off and die
el fantastico de sapiens

I tend to like darker or slightly duller colors. although brighter colors can work well too when used properly. on one hand, i like clothes that tend to be looser or lighter or thinner (not oversized). like black 'silky' button-up shirts or something, or just a black shirt that kind of neatly sits on you but has a sort of subtle flow of its own, i dont know. on the other hand, relatively thick and defined things look pretty rad too. i also like coats. long coats. anything like that, doesn't matter what it is. unless its a dumb mallgoth trench-coat with chains. scarves are pretty cool. jeans are basically pants. when it comes to girls, lacy shit gives me an instant boner. i like dresses, too. and thigh-highs.

there are a lot of things i kind of like and its hard to describe all of them in one post! and i personally have shit for clothes so i usually dress really plainly.

action adventure, RPG, platformer (and any mix of these three)

Shadow of the Colossus. Super Metroid. Snatcher.

(alternate choices: Ico, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Panzer Dragoon Zwei)

I don't have one favorite. I really like philosophy, and art. english, history and science are also fantastic.

I seem to hang out downtown or at the mall a decent amount; when that isn't happening though I usually hang out at my friends houses, or we drive around to an arcade or used video game store. pretty nerdy stuff, for the most part.

anything that shows a genuine understanding of game design or the gaming medium as a whole. i'd say "liking my favorite game" too, but i would probably get mad if they praised my favorite game for dumb or bad reasons, like liking shadow of the colossus because "man, those colossi are EPIC".

man, those colossi are EPIC.

9) Any other thoughts?
a video game doesn't just have to be a menial source of enjoyment, a game; it has so much more potential, and it is incredibly bothering that people rarely bother to attempt to bring this potential to fruition.
heres one for my brother where i literally answer everything for him because he's too busy playing the new madden game right now

Sportsgamesimus Maximus
WHAT ARE GAMES OTHER THAN SPORTS GAMES AND CALL OF DUTY

I wear lots of sports jerseys and stuff from hollister and really anything at all. I don't match colors when wearing clothes and I'll look like a fucking idiot because of this but IDGAF WHAT U THINK

sports sim, sports sim, fps

Madden '09, Madden, '10, Madden '11

"I hate school and every part of it that isn't hanging out with friends"

At friends' houses, sometimes at my house

"Madden is as deep as any RPG"

"Sports games are stupid"

9) Any other thoughts?
Sports.swf
Josiah Wrote:1) If you had to give your 'Gamer Species' a name, what would it be?
Casual gamer, I suppose.
I am always wearing jeans. I find them very comfortable, and simply fashionable. I'll usually wear a t-shirt and some sort of long-sleeved button-up shirt over that, almost always with the sleeves rolled up. Oh, and I like wearing socks. My favorite colors include black, white, and grey. I'll pretty much combine any of these with my blue jeans and I'm good to go.
Puzzle, First Person Shooter, and... RPG?
Um... Tetris, Borderlands, and... Diablo 2? Shining Force.
I'm interested in Theoretical Physics and Philosophy. At the moment, I'm taking Physics and Marine Biology.
I like taking long walks around the city by myself, but I'll occasionally hang out with some of my close friends or my sisters.
I really don't know, haha. Make some obscure reference to a game I haven't played in years.
"The graphics for that game suck."
9) Any other thoughts?
It's been a really long time since I've been addicted to a game, and I can't find myself getting hooked on anything. I really miss the feeling. Games just don't appeal to me as much as they used to.
[/boring]
Calling yourself a gamer is utterly retarded.
Jeans, Converse all stars, and a clean shirt/tshirt(with a jacket if its way too cool), or anything comfortable that any other normal person would wear.
Action, Action, Action.
Ikaruga, Grandia 2, Alien vs Predator(arcade)
school is for sires, real men fight their way thru life building muscles out of carrying heavy metal bars on their bare shoulders. if anything, i hate math and anything related to it with passion.
clubs, bars, someone's house, anything goes. usually with friends if not alone. used to go with friends to arcades but thats pretty much a defunct tradition nowdays.
i dont know if saying something specifically related to games would make me like someone. a good gaming joke though its always welcome.
u fucking noob dont kill me(in a killing people based game)
9) Any other thoughts?
why does people feels such an urge to make playing video games be recognized as a sub-culture of some sort anyway?, thats its something that goes beyond me, specially when people fails to realise identity comes from who you are, not from what you do.
(08-14-2010, 01:11 AM)Francisco Cifuentes Wrote: [ -> ]1) If you had to give your 'Gamer Species' a name, what would it be?
Calling yourself a gamer is utterly retarded.

You try writing any amount on people who play games as a main point without using the term 'gamer'. It's considerably more to the point than 'person who playes games' or 'games hobbyist/enthusiast', and more widely understood.

What's more the article's almost entirely about stereotyping this kinda thing so :V
(08-14-2010, 01:16 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]about stereotyping

exactly my point.
Oh. In which case IDGI but ok!
I don't consider anyone a gamer, anyone can play a game.
Cargo shorts, carpenter shorts, Jeans, Cargo pants. T-shirts, hoodie or sweatshirt to school when the snow comes. Sneakers. Oh and a uniform for school(only worn to school, this isn't a thing worn outside of it, but I do like it.)
Fighting, Rpg, platformer/adventure
Super Street Fighter 4, Yoshi's Cookies, Final Fantasy VI
English and History.
Free time I hang out with my usual group of friends, at one of ours houses, the movies, and just walking around town laughing and talking.
Games aren't about graphics their about gameplay.
"GRAPHICS ARE THE ONLY THING THAT MAKE A GAME GOOD! 2-D GAMES? ARE YOU NUTS ITS GOTTA HAVE C.O.D.6 GRAPHICS TO BE GOOD!!!!!!!!!"
9) Any other thoughts?
I have to agree with Meta, I see no reason why gaming should be a sub-culture, it's for anyone really and what you do does not make you who you are. It is who you are and your ideals and and mindsets that form you into who you are.

Also it's cool that morgan is illustrating Cute.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5