The VG Resource

Full Version: Inception Videogame (Concept)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
would u play it
(I would(
Keep dreaming, it's not gonna happen.
it isnt enough

we need to go deeper
I would picture it as a 3rd Person Shooter with Dungeon Crawler and Visual Novel elements.
You don't play as the team that actually star in Inception but as a custom team of Dream Manipluators hired for gigs by various companies.

In addition to your own stats and ammo you have a readout of the mental condition of the person who's dreaming. The mental state (panicked, stressed, depressed, lucid) would have an effect on the scenery and on the types of Population they spawn; along with a readout on how aware they are of the Architect.

The person playing the Architect can literally break the game by manipulating the scenery in real time, but the more he/she does it the more aggressive the Population get. In some scenarios you can't get information from certian NPCs if they're too agitated, so you have to be careful as to what you're doing.

Yes, I've thought about this too much.
Actually Groove that's not half bad. I'd play it.
i picture a JRPG with dating sim elements,
kojjiro you wish every game was a JRPG with dating sim elements
(08-07-2010, 03:27 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: [ -> ]kojjiro you wish every game was a JRPG with dating sim elements

not true, i wish bayonetta was a wrpg with dating sim elements

also fuck you, it's not like i have an idea for what i think is the greatest game ever, that happens to be an action game with dating sim elements!
An action game with dating sim elements is essentialy just a modern Bioware game. Surely that can keep you occupied.

And if that fails there's always Persona 3/4 if you can put up with turn-based battle systems.
(08-07-2010, 03:00 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]I would picture it as a 3rd Person Shooter with Dungeon Crawler and Visual Novel elements.
You don't play as the team that actually star in Inception but as a custom team of Dream Manipluators hired for gigs by various companies.

In addition to your own stats and ammo you have a readout of the mental condition of the person who's dreaming. The mental state (panicked, stressed, depressed, lucid) would have an effect on the scenery and on the types of Population they spawn; along with a readout on how aware they are of the Architect.

The person playing the Architect can literally break the game by manipulating the scenery in real time, but the more he/she does it the more aggressive the Population get. In some scenarios you can't get information from certian NPCs if they're too agitated, so you have to be careful as to what you're doing.

Yes, I've thought about this too much.

I came up with a similar idea.

It'd be a class-based 3PS that works similarly to Team Fortress.

There would be two teams: The Extractors, and The Target.
The extractors classes would be obvious, while the target team would be made up of projections (a bunch of generic mw2-esque soldiers), but one would be chosen at random to be the target every round. Only the target team knows who the target actually is.

Like your idea, there would be a readout of the target's mental condition, called the Awareness Gauge. Using your class' abilities raises awareness.
The higher the awareness, the closer the target is to waking up. The closer they are to waking up, the more unstable the level gets; rooves would sart caving in, earthquakes spring up, etc. In other words, the extractors have to work as fast as they can to lower the awareness gauge, while simultaneously trying to stay alive in the literally crumbling world.

There are several stats that make each class different:
Weapon Proficiency- Determines accuracy and damage level. The higher the proficiency, the more accurate your shots are and the more damage you'll do.
Charisma- Determines how much your character's actions affect the awareness gauge. A higher charisma level means less awareness being used.

The Classes

The Leader (alt. title: The Extractor???)
Movie character: Cobb
Slightly above average weapon proficiency.
High charisma level.
I honestly don't know what ability the Extractor could have outside of the Extraction gametype.
Can open safes.

The Point Man
Movie character: JGL
A weapons master. Maximum proficiency with all types of weapons.
Slightly below average charisma.

The Forger
Movie character: Eames
Average weapon proficiency.
The forger is basically an architect with powers that only apply to himself.
Can spawn weapons at will (that only the forger who created the gun can use. If you drop the gun or get killed, it's gone forever.), create infinite amounts of ammo, and even shapeshift to look just like an enemy team member. However, you can only use one power at once.
If you spawn a weapon, it can't have infinite ammo, and if you shapeshift, you'll lose that weapon. If you have infinite ammo on, you can't spawn guns and your infinite ammo ability will turn off if you shapeshift. If you shapeshift, you can't spawn guns or use infinite ammo, obviously so you don't blow your cover.
Spawning weapons uses a tiny amount of awareness, while forging infinite ammo and firing beyond the weapon's normal ammo capacity uses sort of a lot of awareness.
Shapeshifting only uses up awareness if a projection sees you. Otherwise, it doesn't affect the awareness meter.
Shapeshifting works just like the Spy class in TF2: Your teammates can see you, but the opponent can't. This allows you to hide in plain sight. If a forger is killed by a projection, their body will revert back to normal and the awareness meter takes a huge hit.
Low charisma if not shapeshifted.
Maximum charisma when shapeshifted. In fact, since the forger is appearing as a member of the opposite team, your actions won't affect the awareness meter at all unless you're killed.

The Architect
Movie Character: Juno
Very low weapons proficiency.
Playing the Architect class is basicaly like playing GMod in the middle of an FPS match. You can spawn objects and weapons out of thin air, and even do things like reverse the entire playing field's gravity.
Average charisma when not using architect powers.
When using powers, the amount of awareness consumed is based on what power you're using. Spawning guns and objects uses a relatively miniscule amount of awareness as long as you aren't seen by a projection (in which case it would use a lot), while doing major things that affect the entire battlefield like reversing gravity basically guzzle awareness.

The Chemist
Movie Character: Indian dude
Low weapon proficiency.
(This one was sort of tough, since in the movie, the chemist was basically useless in the dream since his job was pretty much done by making the sedative before the team ever entered the dream.)
Ability: Sedative
Using Sedative obviously injects a sedative into the target. Using it drastically reduces the awareness meter. Takes time to recharge after being used so it can't be spammed. You pretty much only want to use it if the awareness meter is at dangerous levels or the architect has just done something huge.
Average charisma.

The Projection
Can only be used on the Target team.
High weapons proficiency.
No abilities.
No charisma. Since you're on the same team as the target, your actions don't affect the awareness meter.
Your objective is to either kill the other team, or make them fill up the awareness meter.

Game types

Deathmatch: Exactly what it sounds like. Choose from any of the extractor classes or a projection, then go kill everyone. I'm not sure what purpose the awareness meter would serve here, other than to make the level crumble.

Extraction: Basically CTF. The extractor team has to find the safe, get the leader to open the safe, then get the idea back to your base. Opening the safe forces the awareness meter into the danger zone, which causes the level to start falling apart. It's good to have an architect and a couple of chemists on hand for damage control. The target team obviously has to prevent the extractors from getting the idea. Teams switch every round.

Rival Extraction Duel (for lack of a better title): One safe. Two teams of extractors. Both teams go for the idea. Only one can get the idea back to their base. No awareness meter. No projections. Which is the better team of extractors?

Hardcore Rival Extraction Duel (for lack of a better title): One safe. Two teams of extractors. Both teams go for the idea. Only one can get the idea back to their base. Awareness meter. One team of projections. A three way fight to the finish. Both teams of extractors need to be verrrrrrrrry careful not to fill the awarenss meter (that they both share), because filling it still counts as a win for the target. It's a good idea to have a lot of chemists on hand, because opening the safe still forces awareness into the danger zone.

AND SEVERAL OTHERS WHICH I HAVENT THOUGHT OF YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit, oh, and I forgot: If the awareness gauge hits max, it's basically the same thing as a tactical nuke for the target's team. The target wakes up, and the dream implodes. Everyone dies, but the extractors fail their objective and lose the round.
Ugh, I wouldn't want it to be a straight-up shooter, that would entirely ruin the point.

Mostly because not everyone would be trained to combat mental intruders, and not everyone who would be would spawn SWAT by default. A lot of people would bury vital information deeper if threatened directly (which kind of came up in the movie's opening, and didn't apply to the main heist since Extraction wasn't a factor).

I would picture the 3rd Person shooter elements being the *engine* for the game, and the types of dream manipulation and/or the psyches you're messing around in decide on gameplay elements. There'll be some heists that can only be completed without firing a single weapon.

Example: The Target in question is an extreme pacifist, but is often tortured with nightmares about war. Therapy and legit dream manipulators have taught him to cope with it - anyone who pulls a weapon in his dream will alert him to the fact that he's having a nightmare and the offender is automatically vaporised by his dream security (Awareness Gauge fills all the way, or very near to Max.). Multiple setpieces will try to entice you to pulling a weapon to solve an obstacle, but you have to find a way through by other means.
(08-07-2010, 06:33 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Ugh, I wouldn't want it to be a straight-up shooter, that would entirely ruin the point.

Mostly because not everyone would be trained to combat mental intruders, and not everyone who would be would spawn SWAT by default. A lot of people would bury vital information deeper if threatened directly (which kind of came up in the movie's opening, and didn't apply to the main heist since Extraction wasn't a factor).

I would picture the 3rd Person shooter elements being the *engine* for the game, and the types of dream manipulation and/or the psyches you're messing around in decide on gameplay elements. There'll be some heists that can only be completed without firing a single weapon.

Example: The Target in question is an extreme pacifist, but is often tortured with nightmares about war. Therapy and legit dream manipulators have taught him to cope with it - anyone who pulls a weapon in his dream will alert him to the fact that he's having a nightmare and the offender is automatically vaporised by his dream security (Awareness Gauge fills all the way, or very near to Max.). Multiple setpieces will try to entice you to pulling a weapon to solve an obstacle, but you have to find a way through by other means.

mine would be more an example of a multiplayer application. Put your single player in with my multiplayer and good game Smile
I guess the online multiplayer would be like the initial use for the Dream Machines. Where it was used for military training. But you can bring a friend to play Co-Op for some of the Offline missions.

There'd also be a whole bunch of MGS2-style VR Missions where you play as either the Forger or the Architect to solve puzzles under tight conditions.
we should like
make some sort of official gamedoc or something that covers all of these ideas
As much as I'd love to

Videogame adaptations of movies...
Even the Matrix games sucked; and they had beautiful source material.
Pages: 1 2