The VG Resource

Full Version: Never played Metal Gear NES
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ok, so the deal is, I started to use tile molestor. And you'd hope I'd start with a game I've played before, on maybe a system I owned with maybe a character I know.

Nope, not me, I start with Metal Gear for the NES, which actually has fairly "easy" tiles to rip (for some reason my tiles never look as "pretty" as Racoon Sam's tutorial makes them look, even on the same game he used in the tutorial...)

anyway. My NES emulator is strange, it doesn't save states, it saves games as .sav, which TM doesn't count as a save state, which means no pallette for me! So I took the pallette from the demo that plays in the beggining since my emulator doesn't even work hahah. So I need help figuring out the pallette for this rip... since I'm pretty sure this is all the characters in the game.... I'd hope since everything else in the file is background tiles and garbled nonesense.

But I don't see Snake, so I'm not sure if that one dude with tons of poses is Snake, or if I missed him (not really sure how though, everything else is just junk) So I was also wondering if someone could point me to a different tutorial, because Racoon Sam might have had different settings on or something, because I'm seeing sprites just fine, just not in the neat way he has it... when I do what the tutorial says the sprites line up alright, but some sprites just never line up...
Sometimes I rip games where I haven't played or very good at them so I sort of know what you mean...

Anyways the guy near the box with the most poses on your sheet is Snake but then again I use YY-CHR for NES/Game Boy Games (only use Tile Molester Raccoon Sam edition for Mega Drive games as of recently and even then I arrange the sprites myself) and if you can tell me which emulator that you use (because there are a metric ton for the NES) it might be more helpful since many have different palletes. Never the less you are doing a great job on Metal Gear.
yeah. The rip is good but I really doubt the items uses the same palette as the character does
those arn't the right item sprites anyway, I found the real ones. I actually finished ripping every character and all of Snake's sprites, I'm sure of it. (the sheet up there isn't updated) But the pallette still isn't right, but I'm not sure how important the pallette is, since Snake has a proper pallette, but everyone else I have no idea so I'm just either giving them Snake's pallette or the "gray" pallette a few of the soldiers in the demo movie use.

Since he has a lot of poses, can someone give me the general idea of what color Grey Fox is?

JNES, it came with a pack of some 150 NES games I got maybe 6 years ago. The emulator never worked properly, but the games themselves seem to be fine. There's also a bunch of pirated games in the mix including "Afro Mario Bros" and "Super Link Bros"
Well I haven't done the NES ones but I have the MSX ones. The pallette is kinda different though so I doubt they will give you much help but they may give you a general clue if a pallette on the NES one is close.
the MSX has snake as blue I believe. Snake is green in this game, and the pallette used on Snake is as close to Snake as I can get because every reference I have is blurry, including the emulator...

I basically just took the NES Pallette and matched the colors to what the screenshots looked like and did it from there.
With the NPCs however, I have no way to play the game to know what pallette they would use, other then the couple of them that are in the intro movie, so they get Snake's pallette which suffices for them. Plus I've seen rips with crazier pallettes then what I used.
No Snake is green...
Why not use a better emulator? FCEU along with other ones (I think there's a topic about this already) are very good.