The VG Resource

Full Version: Displaying sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm thinking about fully ripping Metal Slug 3. Now this game has like 240 sprites for an enemy you see in a single level (damn you crab!) but I thought I had time to kill so I set off on my insane quest.

There for I of course can't just slap all the sprites on one page - it would be huge.
Therefore I was thinking of creating a scene, a single sprite from each sheet (or sheets if one particular character has multiple sheets) against a background from the game.

The scene would have hot spots on it so clicking each singular sprite takes you to that character's (or object's etc.) sprite sheet.
Ones which are not yet ready could be gray-scaled on the scene.
A traditional list of sprites would be underneath in the event that the user doesn't like the scene idea.

Do you think this would work, look good and be functional? Or a bit too much?
Just put it one one sheet.
The whole of Metal Slug 3... on one sheet?
That sheet would be bigger than the universe!
if you dont post it soon, one of the mods will probably lock this... just a warning...
Well here is the first sheet...

[Image: metalslug3sheet1pb8.png]

And that's just a single enemy, so you can see why I don't want to put them all on one page, and I want to do something more creative than a simple list.

So imagine a single one of these sprites on a background from the game, upon clicking it, it takes you to a page with it's sprites on.

(Note: These sprites are sadly not for TSR).
very nice! i see, what you mean, tho.
I'll create an example scene soon enough as an example.
Well I can't add hot-spots on here but still...

[Image: scenexs2.png]

And thus clicking the crab - takes you to the crab's sheet.
Maybe a scene for each level if it gets crowded. And not sure how big each one will be yet.
You could cut half the sheet's length since they are mirrored. But even doing this, it's a huge spritesheet...
I like mirroring, when I submit stuff to TSR I un-mirror them but otherwise unless it's really unrealistic to do so all my sheets are mirrored.
The fact is that it's useless, since anyone has MS Paint or any program that allows mirroring. Well, I guess it's your choice mirroring or not mirroring them.

About the sprite display, I really like the idea of clicking a sprite to take it to the complete sheet (It's not boring as putting them in small icons Tongue)... But your idea may be painful if the sprites get disorganized and all; also, as you said before, it's dangerous to make it crowded. It'll be a pain on the ass to click the right sprite sheet...
So is that 240 including mirrored sprites?
141 non-mirrored, so 282 mirrored.

240 was just a rough estimate.
So would you access the tiles by clicking on the background?
Nah, the background is just there to make it pretty.
Nice job ripping all those sprites, looks hard.
Pages: 1 2