The VG Resource

Full Version: Monster Hunter Tri: worth the money?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, Im thinking of buying Monster Hunter Tri, and I have heard a lot about this game, and I would like to know more about the game itself, because I just found out that you can capture monsters, and that made me think that ther e must be more and new things about the game itself, and if you, the people that own the game, could tell me if the game is worth the money or not, because I just want to make sure Im making the right decision.
yes

i really can't say anything else

'yes' buy it, it's amazing
Wow, man. Full stops are your friend.
2 things you'll want to bear in mind:
1) The game is both slow and lengthy. The tutorial will take you quite a while and you won't see your first Boss Monster until a few hours in - there are a lot of gameplay mechanics to take on board.
2) The game is incredibly hard. You are but a single man with weak armour and a shitty weapon. They are a rampaging dinosaur that can easily kill you in 2 or 3 hits if you aren't vigilant. Battles both take a long time and involve a lot of dodging and tactics. You can go online for 3 allies, but most of the dudes still playing are regulars; and will expect a minimum level of competence from you.
(08-02-2010, 06:37 PM)Sheriff Deadpool Wrote: [ -> ]yes

That really does nothing to point out its flaws; of which there are many.

It's a good game. But it's in no way designed for everyone. Considering it's about £50 to buy the game with a Classic Controller (you'll need one - the game's unplayable with the Wiimote), that's a rather... irresponsible endorsement. Not that you'd actually care about that or anything.
there are no flaws with monster hunter, there are only flaws if you aren't patient enough to get good at it
also bullshit, the game's not unplayable with a wiimote. i play it just fine.
Saying there's no flaw in any game is both untrue, and smells faintly of blind bias, but whatever. Playing this via Wiimote... works; but it's obviously designed for a traditional-style joypad, and works much much smoother that way. The game was marketed/released at the same time as the Classic Controller redesign for a reason.

I really can't shake the idea that you're just trying to be the Devil's Advocate.
no it's not, the game was actually developed with the wiimote in mind.

i'm not being the devils advocate here, i fucking love monster hunter.
I'd say get it, the game looks really good by he videos. I still have a chance too get it but I'm not sure b/c I sucked at the psp version.
Famitsu gave it 40/40 so yea it's that good.
(08-02-2010, 10:05 PM)AgumonKid Wrote: [ -> ]Famitsu gave it 40/40 so yea it's that good.

that does not mean a whole lot
I have it, it's a pretty good game, looks great, but I agree that it's more of a game that you should play with the Classic Controller (Or Classic Controller Pro, if you get that bundle)...This might sound a little biased, but this is my experience with the game

This was my first installment in the Monster Hunter Franchise, and I knew nothing going into it...I remember being angry that there's no Lock-on feature, and there's no Level-Up System, but I got used to it, and now I don't really see a need for a Lock-on System (Although I still completely miss the target once & a while), and it totally works without a Level-up system. Mainly because YOU get better at it...YOU learn how the monsters move, and what's the best way to avoid attacks, while still dealing Damage

By all means, The game's no cake-walk; I remember not being able to take down the Royal Ludroth for the longest time when I got to it back in April, and now it's literally one of the easiest monster in the game to me (Barring the Great Jaggi). I still have trouble with the Barroth (One of the early monsters) but I was able to cut my time from 48 Minutes down to 30-39 Minutes (In Single Player, at least). You can Capture Monsters, to me, it's one of the hardest aspects of the game (Because I'm awful at it), but you basically have to set a Trap when it's weak enough (Most Monster Limp To another Area, and/or Start Drooling) and throw Tranq Bombs at it while it's trapped

And to get better Equipment, you need to kill & Collect more Resources from the Monsters, which ultimately means you're going to end up farming Monsters for those items to forge that Particular piece of Armor or Weapon, and this ends up being very time consuming...As is the online, which for most people is probably the big selling point. Most of the time, it works flawlessly, but you still get kicked off of the servers fairly often (Even I do, and I have a LAN Adapter)...If this is your first Monster Hunter game, I'd suggest doing the Single Player Mode first (Mostly to get the hang of it, since the monsters are easier, and so you can at least get some decent Armor and Weapons by the time you go online)

I personally recommend it, it's a fine Single-Player game (Not too much story, and not as many monsters as the online), and an excellent online game, although, if you want to say much online, I would suggest getting a USB Keyboard...I still pick it up & Play it every so often
(08-02-2010, 10:06 PM)Phantom K Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2010, 10:05 PM)AgumonKid Wrote: [ -> ]Famitsu gave it 40/40 so yea it's that good.

famitsu is one of the more legit magazines

also im gonna steal your topic and say;

muramasa or little king's story? ive been meaning to get both but i only have the money for one of em. which is more worth it??
(08-02-2010, 06:40 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, man. Full stops are your friend.
2 things you'll want to bear in mind:
1) The game is both slow and lengthy. The tutorial will take you quite a while and you won't see your first Boss Monster until a few hours in - there are a lot of gameplay mechanics to take on board.
2) The game is incredibly hard. You are but a single man with weak armour and a shitty weapon. They are a rampaging dinosaur that can easily kill you in 2 or 3 hits if you aren't vigilant. Battles both take a long time and involve a lot of dodging and tactics. You can go online for 3 allies, but most of the dudes still playing are regulars; and will expect a minimum level of competence from you.
(08-02-2010, 06:37 PM)Sheriff Deadpool Wrote: [ -> ]yes

That really does nothing to point out its flaws; of which there are many.

It's a good game. But it's in no way designed for everyone. Considering it's about £50 to buy the game with a Classic Controller (you'll need one - the game's unplayable with the Wiimote), that's a rather... irresponsible endorsement. Not that you'd actually care about that or anything.

I got it for 50$ with the pro controller and a 500 point card.
(08-03-2010, 10:22 AM)Burn Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2010, 10:06 PM)Phantom K Wrote: [ -> ]

famitsu is one of the more legit magazines

yeah, but they've been giving a lot more 40/40s in recent times than they did in the past
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
2. Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)
3. Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., for PlayStation)
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo, for Nintendo GameCube)
5. Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
6. Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)
8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3)
9. 428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de (2008, Sega, for Wii)
10. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (2009, Square Enix, for Nintendo DS)
11. Monster Hunter Tri (2009, Capcom, for Wii)
12. Bayonetta (2009, Sega, for Xbox 360)
13. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009, Nintendo, for Wii)
14. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010, Konami, for PlayStation Portable)
(08-03-2010, 01:43 PM)Sheriff Deadpool Wrote: [ -> ]1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
2. Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)
3. Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., for PlayStation)
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo, for Nintendo GameCube)
5. Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
6. Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)
8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3)
9. 428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de (2008, Sega, for Wii)
10. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (2009, Square Enix, for Nintendo DS)
11. Monster Hunter Tri (2009, Capcom, for Wii)
12. Bayonetta (2009, Sega, for Xbox 360)
13. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009, Nintendo, for Wii)
14. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010, Konami, for PlayStation Portable)
Thank you Wikipedia.
that's not really a lot of games
Pages: 1 2