The VG Resource

Full Version: [FANGAME][PLAYABLE] - Sonic: The Mission
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: sonicmissionminioficial.png]

Genre: Adventure
Version: Beta
Tool: MMF2
Progress: 10%
Download: Coming Soon

The level goes into Tropical Forest
[Image: sonicinsonicthemission.png]
[Image: bluetornado.png]

"Sonic - The Mission" is a fan-game I'm creating since 2007. With many ups and downs, I restarted the project several times because of him not being out as I wanted, but this time I am with great expectations about the future of the game and I'm posting to share with you.

In the game, Sonic will have some skills, by the way most already know, like:

- Homming Attack
- Light Speed Dash
- Spin Dash
- Bounce
- Blue Tornado

For you have a better idea of the project just check the video below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GIKg1tTa6k

PS: Sorry for my horrible English
Your levels are too linear! A reoccuring problem with Sonic fangames (and with even current-gen Sonic games, except maybe 4) is that the levels are too straightforward, allowing the player to basically cruise through the game as it plays itself. You need to make your levels more varied, so they'll be more fun.

Aside from that, your programming looks fairly solid.
Yeah, the levels look very empty; even compared to the modern sidescrollers (Some of Rush's levels were packed both vertically and horizontally). Good platforming isn't just about jumping long distances (although in Sonic getting Airtime is a fun part of the game's feel); but also about navigating jumping tasks in a close area without springs to help you.

What's more I noticed you were able to change your direction in midair when you were already at high speed. That's... not so great. High speed doesn't so much feel like it if you can stop or turn with no effort. On the other hand, the Sonic Tornado that you've implimented as a jump attack stops Sonic dead - after doing it he falls straight back down. That's not so hot either - consider having this move as a method of getting extra airtime from a jump, in addition to it being a method of attack.

Edit: Oh I see the Homing Attack lets you change direction like that. Hm. I wonder if it works that way in Sonic 4.
Thank you for your suggestions. They will all be examined very carefully and soon I'll bring more updates.
Sorry for Double Post.
Added new screens with the game's development:

[Image: corkscrew.png] [Image: freezingalps.png] [Image: ancientruins.png]

Image 1: Development of the new gimmick, the Corkscrew
Image 2: New level, Freezing Alps
Image 3: New level, Ancient Ruins

Even more o/
Nice, but what about the gameplay and level tweaks?

Sometimes it's a good idea to work on refining what you already have before doing new stuff.
(08-09-2010, 06:47 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Nice, but what about the gameplay and level tweaks?

Sometimes it's a good idea to work on refining what you already have before doing new stuff.
About the gameplay, I will not change it much, since most of the Sonic games are like that. I'm sure when you play, you'll like Tongue
Longer fits, I'm struggling to let more organized, and fuller, because the way it is he appears to be very empty.
Speaking of which, why is it titled "Sonic: The Mission"? It sounds.. bland. Almost sounds like a stradegy-based game too.
your game is just what people hates about sonic, rather than a platforming game, yours is a "hold right till you find a wall"
(08-13-2010, 03:25 PM)Gaia Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking of which, why is it titled "Sonic: The Mission"? It sounds.. bland. Almost sounds like a stradegy-based game too.

The name has basis in history, which I will reveal soon.

New images:

[Image: 94060104.png] [Image: 92908488.png]

[Image: 59550569.png] [Image: 39495760.png]

Img1: Sonic through the Corkscrew (almost 100% ready).
Img2: Sonic running on water.
Img3: Trees added in the background.
Img4: Breakable walls.

PS: I am with 50% of the level set. When done, make available to download.

That's it o/
(08-13-2010, 12:47 PM)Candango Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-09-2010, 06:47 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Nice, but what about the gameplay and level tweaks?

About the gameplay, I will not change it much, since most of the Sonic games are like that. I'm sure when you play, you'll like Tongue

Listen to your critiques.
They are very important in making a game fun for everyone.
(08-23-2010, 08:10 AM)Woppet Wrote: [ -> ]Listen to your critiques.
They are very important in making a game fun for everyone.

I'm saving all the criticism, because that is exactly what I want, that all find the game fun. Once I release the beta version, you may know better what I'm talking about, and there you really can say what you can keep and what can improve.
Sorry for Double Post:

Act 2 ready and added video:

Sound: Klaxons - Gravity's Rainbow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LW0eCcavXQ

As I said earlier, it was only a matter of act 2 is ready for me to provide the download link, but we still have little details to be finalized as Menu, Title Card, Credit, etc ... Maybe by the 15th of this month I release a playable version for you to test.

Hope you like it ^^
Your levels are still too linear. They look nice, no doubt about it-- but they look like they play themselves. Which is fun to watch, but not play.
your levels should look more like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnT3Gos-bG4
Pages: 1 2