The VG Resource

Full Version: Why do you want a new Kid Icarus?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
A lot of people want a new Kid Icarus game. A lot of people say a new Kid Icarus game is in the works. People saw him Brawl and got excited. But I ask a simple question, why? His last game sucked. Yeah you heard me sucked.

Now I didn't play this game when it came out, I played it rather recently and I was shocked. It's often described as a blend of Nintendo's "Big 3" (Mario, Zelda, and Metroid). Because you "jump like Mario, collect items like Zelda and shoot like Metroid." That's what Nintendo Power said. Me, I say that's crap. Mario jumps like a platform game character should jump, Pit jumps like an ass often sliding off platforms that you were sure you had landed on, this is mostly because Pit thinks it's a good idea to take a step in what ever direction you jumped after he lands - how very dumb. And how many other games do you jump, collect things and shoot? What a crappy comparison.

So the controls aren't great but hey it's no big deal right? Well as you die as soon as you hit the bottom of the screen, yeah it is. And you don't get check points, oh no - it's back to the start of the level. Yeah you start in the underworld (I really have no idea why) so you have to keep jumping up these long boring levels. These levels aren't short so the game plays more like a test of patience than anything fun. You also loose all your hearts when you die (which are currency here, like Castlvania) so don't expect to be able to buy anything from the shop for a while, as the game seems to think you should never die.

One of the main problems with this game though is what the first Metroid suffers from, it all looks the same and there's little to keep you excited as you play through stages your sure you've just played through.

Like Metroid, this game was on the Famicom disk system in Japan, and thus the cartridge version suffers slightly from inferior sound and music. And that title music is ear piercing. Also like Metroid the disk version had a save feature. And for some reason whenever these are changed into passwords there always damn long. 24 character long passwords are stupid. The passwords can contain numbers, letters both lowercase and uppercase along with "?" and "!". Atleast they were kind enough to make the lowercase a different colour than the uppercase but when writing these things down, it doesn't matter your going to get confused. I ended up having to start again after not being able to get a password to work.

With a lot of games when walk off one side of the screen, you'll walk into the other side. This is essential in Kid Icarus to get up to the top of the stage and find various secrets. But why can't my arrows do that? Is there some guy off the screen who blocks your arrows or something? Either make it so everything can wrap around the screen or nothing can, obey your own laws of physics! After you've passed these vertical levels you go to a dungeon. Yeah a dungeon you heard me. I bet most of you didn't know this game had dungeons. Why? Because most people don't play it for long. Yeah a dungeon. So this is going to be awesome like Zelda, right? Right? No. There's no keys or even puzzles. You just walk around hoping not to get lost until you find the boss. How ass. And if you get turned into an eggplant by the Eggplant Wizard, you can't just wait for it to wear off, oh no you've got to find a stupid healing room. And then if you get hit again, you have to go back again. Who ever thought this was fun probably had sexual relations with a cactus. This is like a bad Zelda II dungeon, and Zelda II was pretty bad. Kid Icarus tried a lot of stuff, vertical levels, traditional side scrolling levels, levels where you could fly and dungeons. With games like Metroid coming out around the same time it should have been gold. But it was also just poorly executed. The game just looked dull. Even the bosses didn't bring much excitement to it.

I couldn't even find a picture of anything from this game except the first 3 levels. And I'm not adding them. See Kid Icarus is so bad no one has played it past level 3 and took a screenshot. Like Ice Climbers this was a fun game at the time. But it is what it is and nothing more. It never became a franchise (though it did get a sequel on the GameBoy) because there was nothing there to make a franchise of. So go back and play this and Ice Climbers and Clu Clu Land if you want, but don't don't make it into a legendary game. It has not passed the test of time like games such as Super Mario Bros. If Pit does come back, and I'm guessing he just might lets all hope they don't just re-do his first game and make something entirely different.

So I ask all you people who want a new Kid Icarus game, did you play the original, or do you just think he looks cool in Brawl?
Both Kid Icarus games sucked; hence why the series died. People are excited because it's rumored to be developed by Factor 5, who make great games.
Lair was good? And I didn't even enjoy Rouge Squadron too much. I doubt Kid Icarus would work well as a on rails or free roaming 3D shooter. And if that is what it is why not use Factor 5 to make a decent Star Fox game?

Ok if they go for something more like Turrican it could be interesting but how likely is that?
Lair was shit because six-axis is shit.
Even when they added the other controls the game was bad.
Six-axis worked in games such as Heavenly Sword but it simply wasn't designed for what Lair wanted it to do. Lair was bad for so many more reasons that Six-axis.
Fair enough. I do agree with you about them making a Starfox game though. Especially since they'd be able to push graphics quite a bit.
Because, and this may just be my reason, we want something different. Something new. A revival of ANY older Nintendo property is awesome in my eyes. And they could do great things with Kid Icarus. They managed to chagce the way Metroid was played and it did great things for the franchise. The same can be done with Kid Icarus. Or any other classic Nintendo series for that matter. I would love to see a new Punch-Out!! or Ice Climbers or even Balloon Fight.

I always want new entries into any Nintendo franchise, but it would be even greater to see what they could do with a franchise as old and with as many possibilities as Kid Icarus.
Teeks has a point there, any older game that gets revived later on is apealing to our eyes now, and by our I mean us people in general.

the older games might've blew, but I wouldn't know. Anyways, comparing towhat Kid Icarus could be to what Lair and Rouge Squadron was just isn't fair, you haven't even HEARD if they're making a new one, let alone played the damn thing.
To be quite honest, I hated the first Zelda. It's really no fun playing this game, it just feels the same in every screen I get. Yet I still enjoyed Ocarina of Time.

Because an older game is no fun doesn't mean the remake isn't fun.

I probably can't really say this because of my history on the Bitch Board, but stop kicking against ideas. A new Kid Icarus might or might not blow, we just won't know if it isn't tried yet.

If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again.
the first Ice Climber wasn't that great, but if they made a real big epic mount climbing game (which hasn't really been tried too much) it would be pretty fresh. Plus with all the blizzard and fog effects that real mountains have, fooling the Wii into having real epic graphical effects could easily be done. I wouldn't want it as a sidescroller though, and I'd want it to have some sort of story, but I know those two are unlikely for Nintendo, and especially Ice Climber.
If Sonic stopped dusting himself off and just died I would be happier.
Zelda 1 was awesome if you had an over world map and I don't like any of the 3D ones. While were on the subject I don't like any of the 3D Metroid games except 3 (which is "ok") and there decision on not making another 2D one saddens me.

The rumor is Factor 5 is making the game. And if this is so, it's a bad decision when Star Fox could be revived. I'd rather see a company like this go to better use with Nintendo. In my own opinion the new Kid Icarus game would work better as a 2D vertical shmup made by Cave (or Treasure).

Look at Nights for example. That was one revival no one needed.

balladofwindfishes Wrote:the first Ice Climber wasn't that great, but if they made a real big epic mount climbing game (which hasn't really been tried too much) it would be pretty fresh. Plus with all the blizzard and fog effects that real mountains have, fooling the Wii into having real epic graphical effects could easily be done. I wouldn't want it as a sidescroller though, and I'd want it to have some sort of story, but I know those two are unlikely for Nintendo, and especially Ice Climber.

Nah a 2D sidescroller on the DS where you can use the stylus to manipulate the climbing rope would work better.
A lot of people were expecting a seqeul to Nights, the only thing was that Sega screwed up with some part of the game.

I have played the original Kid Icarus, the only reason why I enjoyed it because it was in fact actually challenging, Not through wits but rather more using the character's physics at full force. sure it might not have been all that great, but it was good enough. Brawl made pit look a litte decent but he looked a hell lot like Sora. Plus I would like to mention that just because Factor 5 is developing it doesn't mean it will be THAT bad, we just have to wait and see like Ballad said.
this is going to be a message for everybody who is stuck in the past with gaming (Goemar)

WAKE THE FUCK UP!! geez, gaming has come a long way, and if you're too shallow and ignorant to see that, then continue playing your NES or SNES or what ever you're deciding to play, just don't bitch about how much gaming has changed
i won't have any problem with a new kid icarus as long as it doesn't blow ass like the past two
Pages: 1 2 3