The VG Resource

Full Version: Queen Gohma Sprite
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got bored. So I decided to make a Queen Gohma sprite from TLOZ: OOT. I'm still working on it, but I thought I'd throw it onto here and see if anyone liked it so far. Here it is.

[Image: Gohmabyjaked77-3.png]
Ahahaha wow. Why is the credit tag bigger than the actual sheet?
p.s. these are awful

read this, you clearly forgot to do so
It certainly needs a lot of work.
-its pillowshaded almost everywhere. search it on wikipedia if you don't know what I'm talking about.
-The claws and feet are 2D while the rest is 3D or somewhere in between.
-The feet are hardly on the ground. Since the sprite is in a 2D perspective the feet should be entirely flat on the ground

fix this stuff and it'll look much better, but even then there are a bunch of things that need improving. start with what I mentioned first.
and no, nobody likes it :I
i would heavily suggest playing the game to make this, or at least get a better quality reference.
your shading poorly convey volume ( compare the right claw of your sprite then that of the reference, see how you shade it almost centrally, and in bands?), and i don't think you wholly understand the detail of the reference (inconsistencies on the supporting claws, the top claws, on the blue crystal formations emitting light...)
this has potential, but you'll have to improve a lot on shading and getting some good animations in (and actually looking at the reference more closely)!
Lots of pieces looks recycled and mirrored, which causes problems with the perspective used.
sorry but if thats meant to work as a modular sprite, i've got bad news for you.

it wont work.
i'm going to give this a few mour hours and if i dont see anything useful, shit will get real.
He already came back and viewed the thread a couple times without posting anything so I think it's safe to say he's not coming back
maybe hes working hard to improve it while looking back to the topic to see what he needs to improve on

i know i shouldn't be getting my hopes up but
What part of 'Not Finished' didn't you guys get? And besides, I asked if anyone liked it so far, not if anyone thought that it was horrible. I'm new to spriting, so sorry if I'm not all that good at it yet.

And yes, I am looking back to see what mistakes I may have made. I am still working on it. And I apologize if I am not a very good spriter compared to you guys, but there is no need to rub it in my face. =[
(07-25-2010, 02:28 PM)jaked77 Wrote: [ -> ]What part of 'Not Finished' didn't you guys get? And besides, I asked if anyone liked it so far, not if anyone thought that it was horrible. I'm new to spriting, so sorry if I'm not all that good at it yet.

And yes, I am looking back to see what mistakes I may have made. I am still working on it. And I apologize if I am not a very good spriter compared to you guys, but there is no need to rub it in my face. =[
HI

READ THE RULES
You're making it painfully obvious that you haven't
one more comment like this where you get all sad and pissy that we're being "mean" when every comment in here has been extremely valid and I'm locking your thread and warning you again
(07-25-2010, 02:32 PM)Track Eleven Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-25-2010, 02:28 PM)jaked77 Wrote: [ -> ]What part of 'Not Finished' didn't you guys get? And besides, I asked if anyone liked it so far, not if anyone thought that it was horrible. I'm new to spriting, so sorry if I'm not all that good at it yet.

HI

READ THE RULES
You're making it painfully obvious that you haven't
one more comment like this where you get all sad and pissy that we're being "mean" when every comment in here has been extremely valid and I'm locking your thread and warning you again

I understand. Sorry, its my first sprite and I'm new to the site. I read the rules, but I am having difficulty understanding them. Every point made is indeed valid, and that's why I keep rereading them. I am trying to learn how to get better. Thanks for all your helpful points, guys.
If you want an example of a Queen Gohma sprite, check out my thread. My tip for you is when you are spriting something and having a image as a reference don't sprite the actually image, it will end just like that. It needs a perspective and don't shade the parts on all sides, that will give you a pillowshade. Use help from a highlight. Cute
WIP or not, everybody's criticism is still totally valid.
we're mentioning everything that needs to be fixed before you "finish" your work so that the final product will at least headed in a better direction.
i like the part when there's a microscopically lifesaver at the very bottom of the image that says "not finished".

right next to the huge, unnecesary credit tag.

as a reference for the future, we'll asume it is finished when you put your tag on it. if its not finished, then say it is not finished and well. just dont put the stupid huge tag.

thread closed. if you have anything else to add to this, send me a pm and i'll reopen it.