The VG Resource

Full Version: Hoeloe's Gurren Lagann Sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For the sake of it, I decided to make some Gurren Lagann Sprites.

Criticisms are, of course, welcome, as long as they are constructive.

[Image: lagann.png]
First up is Lagann. Reasonably small sprite, 15 colours on the right-most sprite, 12 on the other 2.
[Image: lagann2.png]
Another Lagann, attempted to synchronise the styles.

[Image: simono.png]
Next is Pre-timeskip Simon. There are two variations of this sprite. Trying to find a style with which to sprite the rest of them.

[Image: simonposttimeskip.png]
Following on: Post-timeskip Simon.
don't know about this show, but 15 colors for a 16x16 sprite seems way too much
(07-21-2010, 01:55 PM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]don't know about this show, but 15 colors for a 16x16 sprite seems way too much

Yeah. I'm not really focussing on cutting down colours. For smaller sprites, I tend to just use "2 shades for each colour", with the occasional third colour pushed in for readability.
Woah why are the colors so dull? And Simon's face looks like its deflating or melting, it's like you tried to squeeze in a lot of detail only ending up to be lacking a lot. Simon needs a redo. Lagann is decent but lose the dithering and try to lighten the load on the colors.
(07-21-2010, 02:04 PM)JarJar Wrote: [ -> ]Woah why are the colors so dull? And Simon's face looks like its deflating or melting, it's like you tried to squeeze in a lot of detail only ending up to be lacking a lot. Simon needs a redo. Lagann is decent but lose the dithering and try to lighten the load on the colors.

I'm making Simon's face taller, and I'm gonna look into redoing the colours. I'll see how it comes out.

As for Lagann, the dithering is there to try and get across the "brain" texture it has there. I'm see what I can do anyways though.

EDIT: Boosted Simon's colours and did some jiggery-pokery to his lineart around the face.

Faceless version and.... facefull version are far right.

[Image: simongv.png]

Also, I mis-counted Lagann's colours. It's actually 12 on all save the Drill one.
i'm asuiming you took the colors from this http://spriters-resource.com/community/s...?tid=14094

another example why colors that work in a given context wont necesary work on another.

the reason? you dont understand how colors complement each other. in the original they wren't just there sitting in their butt filling black spaces. they also added dinamism by the use of propre shading that made them look extremely soft and warm.

not to mention the lineart is quite wonky and bad
Colours are custom, not taken from anywhere.

I do see your point, though. I have a liking for dull colours, though I'm also careful to avoid over-saturation.

Failing to see what you mean by "wonky" lineart though, mind pointing out some of the most offending areas?
sure, let me make an edit,
[Image: 30mo5s0.jpg]
your sprite, my edit, a small, quick wireframe to base on, and the palette you were using.

the shading overall didn't help on how the lineart looked, making it feel really jagged and unstable. i used the same colors, removed most of the useless ones, and tried to give it more definition over the original, without altering it toomuch, its an idea, since id idnt spend much time on it.
Thanks a lot for that. That's a huge help. I'll get on it tomorrow.

EDIT: Okay, I had a look at your edit, and tried to emulate aspects of it. 14 colours, as opposed to the originals 23.

[Image: simono.png]
Thought I'd give this a jolly, double-posted bump with a new sprite. I re-jigged Lagann to fit with the scale and style Simon is currently in. Still only uses 12 colours, aside from the sprite with Simon riding it.

[Image: lagann2.png]
Triple post. New sprite: Post-timeskip Simon.

[Image: simonposttimeskip.png]