The VG Resource

Full Version: Character Concept
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 91fiv6.png]
I made this because 1) I felt I was spriting too much Mario and Metroid, and 2) I needed to at least try something original. Anyway, I chose this pallete because, well, it just fit! I can't really decide between the two sprites though. I prefer the one with no extra color other than the outline, but the one with a lighter color looks good too (not very well placed though).
As for his name, I have no idea what to call him.
(07-10-2010, 06:38 PM)ProtoTroid X Wrote: [ -> ]2) I needed to at least try something original
spoilers: you still do

an orange blob is not original
at least its not mario bro.

but yeah, it might be just too simple to actually say its something new at all. problem is that while it looks like a orange blob, you cant hardly tell what the hell is that suposed to be. is that a nose?
Maybe this helps (which I know it doesn't)?
[Image: 8vq449.png]

And, continuing right along with the old style:
[Image: 16116j5.png]
And of course, once again, all you're gonna see is orange blobs and nothing else.
(07-10-2010, 07:39 PM)ProtoTroid X Wrote: [ -> ]And of course, once again, all you're gonna see is orange blobs and nothing else.

If your going to make it just some orange blob, the least you could do is make it somewhat readable. The sprites them selves are pretty small to even tell what they are aside from the drill.

Or I guess it's wrong to give you advice on what you should do? I don't know.
Theyr are way too small, try a little bigger for better improvement.
How big am I supposed to make them? They're not much bigger than Mario sprites. Perhaps the color in the outline is too dark? I can see the sprites just fine.
Well, the problem is that when you make a sprite, it should show some deatail, and the msaller it is, the harder it is to see the detail.
I'm, not saying to redo the entire sprite, just take the sprite you did, and resize it twice as big, that way it will be easier to see.
i think at this size, the lack of readability could be counteracted by good, fluid animations. it could work, depends on how you animate them.
(07-10-2010, 11:39 PM)Murderbeard Wrote: [ -> ]i think at this size, the lack of readability could be counteracted by good, fluid animations. it could work, depends on how you animate them.

I'll agree with you on this one. Actually, if you zoom in you can see some serial and makes thing more readable, I think that the lack of readability is caused by the close contrast bewteen the orange and the outline color, maybe you could try making the outline a little darker. Also, I like the fireball on top and the drill guy looks really cool too, keep up the great work an the nice style.
sprites of that size always work in a tadem with more detailed artwork.

that, or actually shade them so we can see what is each part of it suposed to be. readbility will always be king and shall rule over thi land of shading no matter how many details you want to put on such a small scale.
Errrr, shading is a possibility. But the real problem is that you can't see what I put in each sprite, isn't it?
Sorry if I'm wrong. Anyway, to try and make things on each sprite readable I made these:
[Image: 153ves4.png]
1: Original Colors. 2: Yellow with original outline. 3: Yellow with brighter outline. 4: Orange with darker outline.
I'm not sure any of these help, but I tried.
2 I can see a little more clearly, although, it still lacks the readability it needs

You still could shade it, though maybe a mishmash of each palate wouldn't hurt if you use them wisely, far as the shading goes.