The VG Resource

Full Version: 2D VS 3D, which will come out on top?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After reading this I'm kind of at thought to my self whether or not 2D gaming was going to end up taking back it's throne in the game market compared to 3D. So I think this could be worthy of debate

After seeing games like Little Big Planet and New Super Mario Brothers it's not a complete surprise that they became an important role in reviving the 2D market. But what's more surprising is that they are doing better then most 3D games. There are many factors in this such as veteran gamers, who grew up with these kind of games and the fact that, it was pretty much reborn to those who grew up with a N64. And it's not surprising at all that most developers are taking a step back in dimensions, but with the new technology and power they have to make it impressive.

However on the other hand, 3D games are still holding up. there's some creativity in a select few games, but most of them have become pretty worn out ideas over the years. Lets be honest, the first time the N64 came out, we were all hyped up that graphical achievements have come this far, and we have enjoyed it over the years up until now. 3D just seems to be loosing it's touch. What happened? was it that most developers were milking out the same idea's over and over again? Or was it that everyone felt that there wasn't enough creativity from what they could have expected? Back then 3D was the proposed future of games and now it just seems like some people want to take a step back. And there are some people enjoying shit like Call of Duty or Red Dead Redemption. It could very well go both ways for this.

My argument is, that 3D won't die out anytime soon, but 2D will make a huge comeback. and there will probably be much more creativity in the 2D games compared to the majority of 3D games.

Think about it, with all these going back to the roots games coming out I wouldn't be too surprised if games new 2D games come out. there has already been Shadow Complex and Lost winds, I just want to see how far new 2D games will go in the mainstream market. And whether or not 3D will be able to keep it's appeal.
i wonder what 2d on the 3dds is gonna look like
like 3D on the GBA.
(07-04-2010, 10:48 PM)Ash Crimson Prettiest Princess Wrote: [ -> ]i wonder what 2d on the 3dds is gonna look like

it's going to look like 2d. You can turn the 3d effect off.
I don't understand what 2D or 3D has to do with the creativity of games.
nothing at all. its like going koopaul on new games just cause they're 3D.
(07-04-2010, 09:52 PM)Diogalesu Wrote: [ -> ]After seeing games like Little Big Planet and New Super Mario Brothers it's not a complete surprise that they became an important role in reviving the 2D market. But what's more surprising is that they are doing better then most 3D games. There are many factors in this such as veteran gamers, who grew up with these kind of games and the fact that, it was pretty much reborn to those who grew up with a N64. And it's not surprising at all that most developers are taking a step back in dimensions, but with the new technology and power they have to make it impressive.

how do two popular 3D games revive the 2D market?
2D isn't going to die since (for all intents and purposes) it's just a gameplay format.

2D has been rendered in 3D since consoles could even manage 3D. It's nothing new or strange. What may be more at risk is spriting in mainstream console releases; but then we've known about this for quite some time.
(07-04-2010, 11:37 PM)Arkinea Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand what 2D or 3D has to do with the creativity of games.

They only way I can see this is that, 3D games have become so common it's nearly impossible to find something different other then shooters. 2D games on the other hand there is at least some extra variety in how creative they are.

I don't see games on how fun they are just by looking at the game play, I want something different and that's where creativity comes in. I don't see this as often in most 3D games these days. Call me Koopaul for this but really there hasn't exactly been anything fresh other then newer 2D games.

what I'm saying is that most games in a 3D perspective have become so worn and dry out because of how common they are now, theres nothing new or different in your silly call of duties or battlefields that makes a massive improvement in the game, it's just the same thing over again.

(edit: I'm not necessarily speaking in graphical terms here, I'm pretty much stating that gameplay and the general concept counts towards a creative game, and it comes out much better in a 2D format. That is within my own opinion)
(07-05-2010, 08:48 AM)Diogalesu Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-04-2010, 11:37 PM)Arkinea Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand what 2D or 3D has to do with the creativity of games.
They only way I can see this is that, 3D games have become so common it's nearly impossible to find something different other then shooters. 2D games on the other hand there is at least some extra variety in how creative they are.
that has nothing to do at all with the amount of dimensions a gameplay has.

2D can and has been overpopulated with platformers of all sizes and dimensions for the last 20 years and it doesnt mean they have any kind of originality or uniqueness, most of them are either lame attemps or clones of already sucessful franchises.

trends have existed in the market since day one, so its not like is something new that one genre dominates the spectrum of games relased in a certain time period. we had one thousand clones of space invaders in the past, thenit was platformers, then it was all about rts, then it was all about 3D adventure, then, now its one thousand clones of counterstrike/halo/whatever.

2D or 3D are just a dev's choice on how they feel their concept would work the best. we had both 2D sidescrolling and 3D adventure goemon games on the n64 and they were both great and creative because they were developed with a good team of people who know what they did, not because they picked a particulary amount of directions your character could take.
To be honest, I think that this depends on how you 'present' a game to the audience. Both the story of the game and how you present it is important factor when deciding on a good game. At least that is how I see it.
Adding an extra axis in will not make your game better. So, there is no way to choose the 'best dimension'. I do admit that I always liked 2D games, though.
(07-05-2010, 08:48 AM)Diogalesu Wrote: [ -> ]They only way I can see this is that, 3D games have become so common it's nearly impossible to find something different other then shooters.
laughing hard itt

the top genre changes with every generation of video games, there's no reason to make an entire thread about "not being able to find something different other than shooters" when every generation of systems has had this happen with various genres
(07-05-2010, 12:14 AM)Arkinea Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-04-2010, 09:52 PM)Diogalesu Wrote: [ -> ]After seeing games like Little Big Planet and New Super Mario Brothers it's not a complete surprise that they became an important role in reviving the 2D market. But what's more surprising is that they are doing better then most 3D games. There are many factors in this such as veteran gamers, who grew up with these kind of games and the fact that, it was pretty much reborn to those who grew up with a N64. And it's not surprising at all that most developers are taking a step back in dimensions, but with the new technology and power they have to make it impressive.

how do two popular 3D games revive the 2D market?

Uh.
Sure, they're 3D rendered, but the actual pane you're playing in is 2D. Making them... 2D games.
yes. Kinda like Kirby 64 or even SSB. That's usually called 2.5D.
Pages: 1 2