The VG Resource

Full Version: [ART] The wine cooler
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm just gonna post some of my best/favorite stuff, cause otherwise this'd take long/take up too much space
Click links under images for higher quality.

For a character contest, basically ended up remaking a shyguy fused with the merchant from resident evil.
[Image: A_shy_one_by_Veromorte.png]
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/0...omorte.png

A character design for a practice group thing.
[Image: Eddie_Morrows_by_Veromorte.png]
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/1...omorte.png

A tribute to McBess, had a lot of fun with this one, biggest I've ever worked.
[Image: McBess_Tribute_by_Veromorte.png]
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/0...omorte.png

Are you tonka tough? I am Cool
This is probably one of the only images I remember to draw glasses on myself, and even then they are sunglasses.
[Image: TONKA_TOUGH_by_Veromorte.png]
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/0...omorte.png

Done for a Character of the week contest, the theme was one of the users, the mask and headband is part of the character so they were a staple in everyones entries.
[Image: Cap__n_Jonny_by_Veromorte.png]
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/1...omorte.png
Parody of Captain Morgan because Captain Morgan is awesome and so is this guy.

Pokemon, team awesome
[Image: m-vero_team-awesome.png]
http://art.ngfiles.com/images/84/m-vero_...wesome.png

Other places I post with more of my work
Deviantart
newgrounds Even though it's more of the same.
site
"Eddie Morrows" is probably my favourite out of those; although despite the intentionally goofy anatomy, his right arm (the one we can't see) looks far too low, judging by the other one.
Nope that's just me being bad at anatomy.
Really nice stuff, man. Very stylistic. You have a knack for exaggeration.

Glad to have you at tSR!
Diggin' the warm welcome here. Though I've noticed this isn't the most active of the forums here Sad

Anywho, I have a few pixel animations lying around.

Some quick clocks I made as some practice.
[Image: clock2h.jpg]

I am a huge gurren nerd so, core drill.
[Image: coredrill.gif][Image: coredrill2.gif]

Little robot animation, robot based off of Marvin.
[Image: robot2.gif][Image: robot22.gif]

And a little black boo I'm working on, gonna give it a bit of animation tomorrow.
[Image: boos.png]
I love your art.

The Robot seems quite pillowshaded however!
Those sprites use way way too many colours. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that part of the challenge of pixelart is representing your idea, but doing so with a minimal and optimum number of shades.
(06-30-2010, 11:38 PM)Kat Wrote: [ -> ]I love your art.

The Robot seems quite pillowshaded however!
I'm not sure what that means. Nevermind, looked it up, yes I totally agree.
(07-01-2010, 07:26 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Those sprites use way way too many colours. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that part of the challenge of pixelart is representing your idea, but doing so with a minimal and optimum number of shades.

Yeah, I've been told this, pixel art really isn't my forte, I mostly just dabble in it now and again. I may look at some older sprites or some other spriters works to see how they do what they do.
Okay
LET'S ROCK.
(I really know next to nothing about pixel art, so I'll focus on your illustrationy work instead, k? )

I'm noticing some problems with depth here. This has pretty good depth (apart from the near arm):
[Image: Eddie_Morrows_by_Veromorte.png]
but the rest are looking pretty flat. You need to really make your figures seem 3d.
The only advice I can give you is to study from life (I know, I know) and try and use more foreshortening. As it is, a lot of your drawings have a bit of a hieroglyph look; like they're on a flat plane, rather than part of a three-dimensional scene. I am very guilty of this, and really it comes down to just drawing lots, and lots, and lots of figure drawings in poses where you have to foreshorten parts of the body. If you don't have access to life drawing classes, you can always try www.posemaniacs.com , and try drawing from some of the more extreme angles.

Some of your shading suffers the same problem; it looks flat rather than part of a solid form.
This right here is maybe the worst offender:
[Image: Cap__n_Jonny_by_Veromorte.png]
Trying to show form with cel-shading can be a bit of a pain, since you're not mark-making as you would with a pencil, for example; you can't suggest the form by curving the marks. As such you have to be really, really careful with how you position your shadows.
It's difficult to explain exactly how to fix this; basically it's about how you think about your drawing, more than anything else. Don't think "the chest is quite circular, I will shade it that way" and wing it, try and picture the underlying three dimensional shapes and how the light will interact with them.
Again, this'll come with life drawing. This here is a pretty good way to approach figure drawing with regards to form:
http://www.imaginefx.com/022877543320273...art-2.html
Essentially you're breaking down the whole body into simpler 3D shapes in your head, and trying to make sense of how these shapes interact to make the entire body. While you *are* trying to think of the body in terms of 3D shapes, try not to separate them in your head. If you think "The chest is an egg shape and the pelvis is a cuboid", you might shade them as though they're not connected. For me, it helps to think of parts of the body as simple 3d shapes, but with some fabric stretched over them that softens the transitions between shapes.
I might be talking utter bollocks and confusing you, if I'm rambling, just ignore me and follow the tutorial, yeah?

Even if you're going for a simpler, cartoonier style, understanding depth and form will improve your work like, millionfold.
(07-03-2010, 01:16 PM)Profanisaurus Wrote: [ -> ]I might be talking utter bollocks and confusing you

No not at all, I understand what you're saying to the letter.
On Eddie, I had help with that one, the original was this[Image: Eddie_Morrows_by_Veromorte.png]
People gave me a similar critique that the shape could be better defined and the lighting could be fixed to give it the more ominous feel I was going for, and gave me a bit of guidance on how to fix it.

My major problem is that I have a habit of going in blind as a bat, for some reason I never think to use a reference or something before I dive into unknown territory. And towards the end I kick myself for not using a reference.

I've gone through my art relatively haphazardly, I have very little anatomy knowledge other than the general area of where stuff goes. I've been told a lot, and I know this is a bad way of going about this, it's not that I ignore people, I'm just incredibly lazy. I'm gonna sit down tonight, for an hour or so tonight and do some of the poses on posemaniacs.

Now I'm rambling...
Hey, hey, hey.
I got sketches, bad anatomy practice, and little animations!

The sketches are all requests I took out of wanting to draw, but not know what to, as well as the animations.

Leopard shark and octopus
[Image: 1scan030.jpg][Image: 1scan031.jpg]

Double request.
[Image: 1scan032.jpg][Image: 1scan034.jpg]

Wasn't actually a request, but this was a while I took them, so I drew it, and badly drawn showdown.
[Image: 1scan035.jpg][Image: 1scan036.jpg]

Felix and Suicune
[Image: 1scan037.jpg][Image: 1scan038.jpg]

Scott pilgrim getting punched by someone he's punching, and butts
[Image: 1scan039.jpg][Image: 1scan040.jpg]

On to posemaniacs sketches, I do not like posemaiacs, the angles are awkward and all the muscles instead of skin makes it difficult to see whats going where
[Image: 1scan041.jpg][Image: 1scan042.jpg]

Animations.

Octopus on a pogostick, I am aware the way it's bouncing doesnt make too much sense, but it was quick and I don't really know how to draw an octopus on a pogostick very accurately.
[Image: octobounce.gif]

Do the wave, also technically a little anatomy practice.
[Image: wavex.gif]

linked for big
[Image: loink.jpg]
They're all pretty good sketches

BUT

the scott pilgrim fight pic stood out as borderline-offensive, construction wise. It's not bad, but it can be even more dramatic with a few pose changes

[Image: scottyfix.png]
Their lines of actions do not fit. As a result, their clash doesn't look as tense as you probably intended it to be. An interesting man-vs-man fight picture has one character's line of action heading towards the other character's line of action. If you make their lines of actions fit, then their fist fight will look more intense than how it looks now.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__SvNIKK8Zpk/Sx...07-big.jpg

You should take a look at this. I'm sure that it'll help accentuate the poses of your heavily stylized cartoons.

Quote:I do not like posemaiacs

lol get used to it, it's a very useful tool
See these are all things I know nothing about, that link really helps. Did some sketches sorta using the line thing, I'll post those up in a bit.
More anatomy practice, a lot more stylized, but practice nonetheless.
[Image: m-vero_rgb.png]
linked for big
That's really good - I love your character design.
Pages: 1 2