The VG Resource

Full Version: Isometric RPG Soldier [WIP]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been working on this sprite for a couple days now, and I'm having trouble with it.

[Image: soldierg.png]

It is an isometric RPG soldier (modern/futuristic) achieving for a dark theme.

A) I can't decide whether or not to just outright rip out the outline or leave it
B) I feel there is shading issues, and various others I am not touching base with
C) There may be some angle issues.
D) Possible pallette issues? If there would be a more interesting pallette, that would be awesome to use. Smile

C&C is welcome, if not desired. I would really love some edits to demonstrate what I can do with this, correctly.
The dithering is entirely pointless on a sprite that small; and even if you want your setting to be all GrimDark; that palette could do with a lot more contrast.
(06-26-2010, 07:04 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]The dithering is entirely pointless on a sprite that small; and even if you want your setting to be all GrimDark; that palette could do with a lot more contrast.

Thanks!

Self edit: [Image: soldiernw.png]
Edit 2: [Image: soldier2.png]
I decided to perform a massive edit to one specific sprite. I honestly like it. However, I am in awe of trying to make it darker themed. It is suppose to be a dark modern day RPG, not happy RPG. Sad

- Outright stripped dither
- Modified colors/ Adding new ones
- Redesigned feet completely
- More contrast

I Wonder how the blood stains and decapitations will go with it though... Tongue
the feet on those two(and the restof the sprites facing diagonally) aren't iso at all.
and the soldiers have a completely weird stance due their lack of knees and huge ass(?)
Trying to adjust the color and stance...

[Image: isosoldier1.png]

Stupid angles. Sad
do you even know how does isometric works?
[Image: isofg5.png]
(06-27-2010, 05:54 PM)Francisco Cifuentes Wrote: [ -> ]do you even know how does isometric works?
[Image: isofg5.png]

In general, yes. However, I haven't grasped anything character specific. It's easier to draw a basic defined shape than something much more complex. While I see you are trying to be helpful, I also see you as being rude here. Yes I know how lines are suppose to be angled up normally, however, how does this apply to something much different than a cube or a cone? Is there any Iso character anatomy tutorials out there? I found one before, but unfortunately cannot find it again. Sad
He's not being rude at all, he's giving you advice and showing you something helpful in order to improve your work.
(06-27-2010, 06:25 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: [ -> ]He's not being rude at all, he's giving you advice and showing you something helpful in order to improve your work.
Perhaps I'm reading his tone wrong then. My bad. Smile

I just want to ask:

"How does this apply to something much different than a cube or a cone? Is there any Iso character anatomy tutorials out there? I found one before, but unfortunately cannot find it again."
Pushing to do a new sprite, the side sprite:

[Image: test1ea.png]

Edit 2 (front sprite, feet needs work):

[Image: test2do.png]

This is where I always get tripped up in iso sprites. I have to say it looks at LEAST better than the first one.
(06-27-2010, 06:31 PM)Azragon Wrote: [ -> ]"How does this apply to something much different than a cube or a cone?
[Image: 157bwyf.jpg]
you visualize it as a cone or a cube, then work over it.