The VG Resource

Full Version: Creating a unique style?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been playing around with some styles lately and I just want to have my own style.
[Image: styleattempt.png]
So, tell me, tSR, is this the right sort of thing to aim for?
well, no.

a style is something that differentiates itself from all other works. this, however, is very generic and lacking in everything

i think a major part of styles in spriting is your own unique palette. look at advance wars. it uses tiny, simple sprites but the colours are highly saturated and it's got a nice palette that no other game uses. there's also stuff like ML, where it relies on a thicker or AA'd outline.

point is, you need a key feature to show that it's its own style.
to be honest, having "a own style" does nothing but extremely limit what you can do or how you will do it.
well, I added an outline at the back and a shadow
[Image: styleattempt2.png]
I'm still lost for ideas for what I should do to make it more interesting though
Just sprite whatever you want, and as you sprite more and more, you eventually will use the techniques you learned to make your own "style" of sprite. You can't just go about one day and decide to create a style. You can have vision of how the sprite should be, but to implement it, you just need to apply your knowledge and skills to get your own personal touch.
(06-23-2010, 09:21 AM)Alex Wrote: [ -> ]Just sprite whatever you want, and as you sprite more and more, you eventually will use the techniques you learned to make your own "style" of sprite. You can't just go about one day and decide to create a style. You can have vision of how the sprite should be, but to implement it, you just need to apply your knowledge and skills to get your own personal touch.
p.much this

although the "you can't just go about one day and decide to create a style" is kind of untrue

because you /can/ do that, but it won't be like
you'd still be limiting yourself because you're forcing yourself to work with just that style

also, i never understand why so many spriters want to develop a "unique style" before they develop actual talent

or competence(not op, just pixel artists in general)
my style includes lots of broken black outlines, a dominating light color with simple shading relying mostly on AA, "blocky" shading, and vibrant hue shifted colors out the butt

thats a style, not what you have sorry V_V
also developing a styel is REALLY fcking hard by normal spriting. if you want to develop s style, draw with pencil and paper and do pixel art instead of sprites. sprites are generally worthless unless you plan on using them for a game or submitting them somewhere, otherwise you might as well just do PA (which again is where style developes, not when making small sprites)
there was a topic about this before, i remember.
It's hard to have 'your own style', I would hoonestly sprite in different styles, and if theres something about certain styles you like, you can infuse them into 'your own style'
It also has a lot to do with the pre-planning stages. It looks like you're spriting a tonberry. Tonberrys have changed in various ways through final fantasy because of the style of concept art. Once you've figured out how it'll look on paper, your goal is to figure out the size of your sprites, and do your best to make the sprite look the most like the art.

So essentially your unique style would be in the art it's based off of, which if sprited correctly will show in your sprites.

This isn't exactly the same as creating a unique spriting style, but it will give you a lot more direction, instead of just trying random things.
(06-23-2010, 11:55 AM)Somfunambulist Wrote: [ -> ]It also has a lot to do with the pre-planning stages. It looks like you're spriting a tonberry. Tonberrys have changed in various ways through final fantasy because of the style of concept art. Once you've figured out how it'll look on paper, your goal is to figure out the size of your sprites, and do your best to make the sprite look the most like the art.

Yeah, uh, I have to say, this isn't a tonberry. This is just some guy's ref.

(06-23-2010, 11:12 AM)Aurapigonstilts Wrote: [ -> ]It's hard to have 'your own style', I would hoonestly sprite in different styles, and if theres something about certain styles you like, you can infuse them into 'your own style'

I am constantly experimenting with styles and just want to find a style which I can try to stick to.
You're own style is just something that develops after you've been spriting for a while. Its not something you can set out to create.
My bad
Well a style is not usually your own. Many people here started out a bit different. They used bases from other sprites and recolored, then they edited, then they used their own bases, then their own colors, then their own sprites, and finally, they made their own styles. You must start by looking at a style you like, try to copy it, without making it obvious that you used that style. And then you will find your own ways to remake that style in your own knowledge.
(06-23-2010, 02:26 PM)2-D Wrote: [ -> ]Well a style is not usually your own. Many people here started out a bit different. They used bases from other sprites and recolored, then they edited, then they used their own bases, then their own colors, then their own sprites, and finally, they made their own styles. You must start by looking at a style you like, try to copy it, without making it obvious that you used that style. And then you will find your own ways to remake that style in your own knowledge.

I started out that way. I've been spriting for nearly a year now and I like to think I've progressed a great deal.
That's good, now to start your style you need to see that style you want to be like.
Pages: 1 2