The VG Resource

Full Version: Arrghus WIP (Link's Awakening/Oracles)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you're unfamiliar with the name, it's this boss: http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/ze...sheet/7638

[Image: gbc__wart00.png]

The shading and what not is inconsistent mostly because I'm still figuring out how I want this to look. Well, that and also because it's frankensteined from two bosses. I'm also taking some cues from the version seen in Four Swords Adventure (particularly it's eye opening/closing and looking around).

[Image: gbc__wart01.png]

Here it is with a new bottom piece which I like better.

Another update:
[Image: gbc__wart02.png]

This is the intended final update unless someone can see something that needs to be fixed:
[Image: gbc__wart03.png]
It looks just amazing, great colors, great re-make, great animation sprites. just great.
I love the style of sprites from this game, and this would fit in seamlessly.
reminds me of the boss from oos. digdogger??

good spriting anyway!
That's because Digdogger is a part of it, along with Plasmarine.

And it sort of looks like Ovnunu from Demon's Crest.
Here is the finished version, which includes the monochrome palette:
[Image: lozgb__arrghus__icon.png]

If this is acceptable for submission to Custom/Edited, could someone move this to that section? And also remove the WIP part in the title.

Minor update: Fixed the hit flash for the cloud.
Iwart/Stone Arrghus WIP
[Image: iw81YIC7yESvr.png]

---

[Image: ib1stQDjexiTfr.png]
First one saved! I'm not as familiar with Stone Arrghus, so I can't really comment. Tongue
Love the original though!
Do you have a reference for the Stone Arrghus?

It doesn't look much like, well, stone.
I think the lines look way too thick, especially with the anti-aliasing. Also, your shading consists mostly of banding along the bottom part instead of adding depth to the object.

[Image: aQpWs.png]
I don't know either but that's what I did. I made the colours more dull and added more shading - I also used black to make the lines at the bottom thicker to add even more depth there. You can use your line colour for shading, too.
(12-11-2012, 03:53 AM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have a reference for the Stone Arrghus?

It doesn't look much like, well, stone.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/other_s...sheet/1015

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlwqNsn7gK0

(12-11-2012, 06:06 AM)Previous Wrote: [ -> ]I think the lines look way too thick, especially with the anti-aliasing. Also, your shading consists mostly of banding along the bottom part instead of adding depth to the object.

I don't know either but that's what I did. I made the colours more dull and added more shading - I also used black to make the lines at the bottom thicker to add even more depth there. You can use your line colour for shading, too.

I'll try your suggestion later but a word of warning, the way I was designing the sprites was that the top half was the same while the bottom half changes so I'll have to compensate a little for the body's shading so that the two halves blend into each other without much trouble.

Basically like this:
[Image: ibh2mKh0LNLPFY.png]
---
Update:
[Image: ibaoNKp7H4U91b.png]
---
Another Update:
[Image: ibfhBxpxvqwZYX.png]

I definitely need to shade the top half more.
The contrast is too high, it makes the sprite look really dark. Maybe try adding a third tone in between in order to help with contrast. Add some sharpening lights to help give it the edginess of stone. Also, the colors don't seem right, try to have a desaturated brown to gray, that seems to be what the original colors were.
It's supposed to be a Gameboy sprite so adding another shade is not really a part of the plan. Also I can't put any color down willy-nilly, I'm trying to have the values being compatible with the structure of GBC palette (the values are multiples of 8). Also I only get so much leeway with how it can be applied:
[Image: i5aSaPEgsGMnX.png]
So I would only have two sets of palettes to use (1 for the shell, 1 for the eye, anything else can use the other 6).

The palette aside, how would I do the "adding sharpening lights" you suggested. I'm not quite sure if I understand what you mean.
[Image: ibirxOdeazbdYd.png]

I'm also toying with the colors for the shell but none really work well.
[Image: i5xWAs90t0a1K.png]
I actually think the top-middle and top-right colors look the most like rocks, because of that sharp contrast between the peachy and darker brown shades.
Although this also seems to cause slight readability issues with the black lines so maybe the bottom-right might work also? I think it's that darker brown that makes it look like rock so hopefully that helps somewhat.
[Image: iblW7EdlhdPbxo.png]
Pages: 1 2