The VG Resource

Full Version: Touhou Project 8-bit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For a bit of fun, I decided to sprite some characters from Touhou Project in 8-bit, with back poses (playing as character) and front poses (fighting against character). So far I have Reimu Hakurei and Marisa Kirisame, but I may sprite some more in the future. Size limits are 16x32 for back sprites and 48x48 for front sprites.

Well, that's about it. Here they are. I'm not 100% happy with Reimu's front sprite, but I can't quite pinpoint what's wrong.

EDIT: Added Reisen. Something's a little off with her face though.

[Image: touhouproject8bit.png]
I'll comment on them properly when I arrive at home (this computer's monitor widens the pixels :/) but go for more readability. I can't figure out what the hell the purple girl is doing
(06-10-2010, 02:50 PM)*Gorsal* Wrote: [ -> ]I'll comment on them properly when I arrive at home (this computer's monitor widens the pixels :/) but go for more readability. I can't figure out what the hell the purple girl is doing

I'm on it. She's got quite a difficult palette to work with.
Another thing; keep them in a similar style, you overshaded the red girl's face but not the others.
(06-10-2010, 02:58 PM)*Gorsal* Wrote: [ -> ]Another thing; keep them in a similar style, you overshaded the red girl's face but not the others.

Slight repose to Reisen, along with some fixing of the readability (hopefully).
Toned down the shading on Reimu's face.

I'm at home now Wink

the red girl looks smaller than the other girls and the purple girl has weird legs and face.
(06-10-2010, 04:11 PM)*Gorsal* Wrote: [ -> ]I'm at home now Wink

the red girl looks smaller than the other girls and the purple girl has weird legs and face.

Made Reimu's face and body a little bigger, messed about with Reisen's legs and face.

The flying sprites look good.
Reimu's and Marisa's other sprites are pretty good, though I think the faces look mostly like random blobs. As for Reisen, what is she doing, exactly?

But it's nice to see some Touhou every now and then.
It's awesome! It looks like pirate games (that ones was not licensed by nintendo)...
Well, did you tried to make an border? or shading?
i'd rather keep those sprites as simple as posible. readbility is king when working under these conditions.
(06-10-2010, 06:17 PM)Francisco Cifuentes Wrote: [ -> ]i'd rather keep those sprites as simple as posible. readbility is king when working under these conditions.

I'm trying to place readability above shading, and then shading later on places that I can, such as skin and hair. It seemed to work pretty well for Reimu and Marisa, but Reisen still needs some work methinks.

EDIT: Some general fiddling with faces etc. Also added some non-8-bit recolours of the flying sprites for the lols, and a new character: Cirno!

Reimu looks like a skeleton xD

Marisa's robe is very rigid and Reisen looks simple weird (storm?). But like Francisco said:
Quote:readbility is king when working under these conditions.
(06-11-2010, 02:54 PM)Davias Wrote: [ -> ]Reimu looks like a skeleton xD

Marisa's robe is very rigid and Reisen looks simple weird (storm?). But like Francisco said:
Quote:readbility is king when working under these conditions.

I see what you mean. I might redo Reimu and Reisen entirely.

As for Marisa, I tried to make it look like her dress was billowing out, as though flying, but perhaps that didn't come across all too well.

EDIT: Okay, I took another shot at Reimu, modified Cirno a tiny bit, tried Reisen again and added some bullets and HUD stuff

And, a mockup, to show how this all goes together:

[Image: 8bittouhoumockup.png]

And, out of boredom, I shopped it onto a photograph Cute

[Image: imperishablenightongame.png]
Keeping at nice...
You show it more characters..
Hope you make more, you make Cirno Big Grin
way to bump an old thread dumpkoff