The VG Resource

Full Version: Warriors Quest (An origonal game finally)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am going for a Programing Degree and would really like something to put in a portfolio. This will not be a game with ripped graphics, stolen game play, or a story similar to any other. This game is to be all original.

The reason for posting on this forum is that we are looking for sprite designers. I myself am working on the programming, and someone else is working on the story and game-play (If you would like to help with these your welcome to). This is not a paid position but rather a project that can increase your reputation.

What we believe will make this game stand out and succeed is that it will be the only online game in the Classic RPG style. We will not have any auto-battle or auto decision making in the game. This will require full user interaction. Also unlike other, this game will not be able to have a strategy guide, because the story-line and missions of the game will have random locations and random orders.

Type : RPG / Adventure / Online
View-type: Over the top; Classic RPG Style
System : PC

Title Screen:
[Image: title10.png]
(This is a title made in 3D (Blender) using some text and a 3D model of a sword that was drawn on paper and remade in 3d. This title is just a try at the Title screen and is subject to change)

This project will be managed using an online service that allows multiple people to work on a document at once, and share picture and files easily. I believe that this will be a lot better than just emails and will help speed the production of this game.

If you are interested in this please shoot me an email at:
[email protected]

I am the same person that programmed, designed and hosted this game:
Zelda Online
However, I decided to stop because of legal issues, after completing the Engine, Loaded Sprites, Item programming, and Online programming. What a let down on my part Sad

More details will be provided upon request.
I'm sorry, but the title "Warrior's Quest" is all BUT original.
(06-08-2010, 04:47 PM)codercobywalker Wrote: [ -> ]This will not be a game with ripped graphics, stolen game play, or a story similar to any other. This game is to be all original.
Good luck with that. There are millions of ideas that have been executed in the world of games, it's pretty much impossible to create an idea that's "100% original." Chances are, someone has already come up with the idea that you've come up with, or something similar.

All games are inspired and based off the ideas of another.

If this is purely for portfolio purposes, you should not be focusing so much on "originality" and rather, should be thinking about "functionality." It's a "programming" degree, not a "pro game designer" degree.
(06-08-2010, 06:04 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: [ -> ]If this is purely for portfolio purposes, you should not be focusing so much on "originality" and rather, should be thinking about "functionality." It's a "programming" degree, not a "pro game designer" degree.

this is very true. employers do not look at a programmer's game design skills, because that's not what they're hiring for.
Thanks for the responses. I guess your right.

Still I really would like something great or at-least good to show.

If someone does the sprites and someone else does the story and I do the programming, then that's pretty much the same right?

And even if my programming skills are awesome and my graphic skills suck, I think that will make a horrible game.
Mario's Time Machine (SNES) was a pitiful game, right?
Well, read the first name on this list and tell me how employable you think that guy is.

That guy is actually very employable, not because MTM was a great game (which it isn't) but because of the programming skill that went into that game. He was later hired for Driver 2 Advance because of his ability to do Mode7 well, which he learned from MTM, proving that crappy games can land you a cooler job down the line.
(06-08-2010, 10:07 PM)СэнжирДэв Wrote: [ -> ]Mario's Time Machine (SNES) was a pitiful game, right?
Well, read the first name on this list and tell me how employable you think that guy is.

That guy is actually very employable, not because MTM was a great game (which it isn't) but because of the programming skill that went into that game. He was later hired for Driver 2 Advance because of his ability to do Mode7 well, which he learned from MTM, proving that crappy games can land you a cooler job down the line.

Joe Sengir

SengirDev

There's no sort of correlation between the two, is there?

EDIT: Yeah, there's no way some who's just 17 now could have worked on Mario's Time Machine.
It's his dad.

His dad was the lead programmer of MTM.

The Sengir we know is in the credits for Driver 2 advance, however. He worked on the code.
Hero quest?
don't take what cyrillic-letters-name man says to the extreme though; what he means is that you don't have to stress out TOO much about how actually good the game is
obviously though, if you can make a good game, do it
the title is really ugly though you might want to find someone who is willing to work with you and help you make some good graphics (or at least acceptable (maybe another young artist with a glimmer in his eyes of adventure and youth!!! who knows))