The VG Resource

Full Version: The Freeware Games Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I figured that I'd just make this thread instead of make a new one every time I found a new freeware game.

Here, I'll post freeware game recommendations, and anyone who wants to is free to contribute. Be sure to give the name of the game, a picture of it, and why you should download it.

Title: Synaesthete

Genre: Rhythm

Description: The story is a bit abstract for this one, but here's the main point: You play as Zaikman, guardian of the collective unconsious. In order to defeat each level, you need defeat all of the enemies in each of the areas of the level. You cannot move past one area until you defeat all the enemies in it.

Gameplay revolves around an object in the middle of your screen: The tracker. Throughout the level, that level's song will play. Notes will fall to the rhythm of that song. In order to defeat the enemies, you need to hit at least one of the color notes to the beat, which will cause Zaikman to shoot a lazer at them. To avoid being hit by the enemies, you can move around with the WASD keys.

It's a blast to play, and easily one of the best rhythm games currently available.

Why you should download it: Synaesthete has an excellent techno soundtrack, and the blend of movement, rhythm, and enemies makes for a challenging yet refreshing take on the genre.

Download link

[Image: synaesthete.jpg]
Title: Tower of Heaven
Genre: Platformer
Description: In this game, you play as a lone traveller trying to claim a treasure at the top of an enormous tower of such proportions as to be called "Tower of Heaven". It is rumored that this is the only connection between the human world and the afterlife. The game is a sadist platformer, so be warned, the difficulty is not forgiving.

Throughout the game, an omniscient guiding figure hands you new "laws", or restrictions that prevent you from doing certain things without being smitten. For instance, at one point, you receive a law preventing you from walking left, and need to think around it.

It has pixely Gameboy greenscale graphics, which seem to fit perfectly with the game's excellent music.
Why you should download: Tower of Heaven makes fresh use of its greenscale graphics, and has oodles of fun platforming. Despite its difficulty, each of the levels is highly rewarding to complete, and the soundtrack is excellent to boot. Even though the game is a little short, it is most certainly worth a download, and is not a game to be missed.
Download link: http://askiisoft.com/ (Click on "Games" section for download link)

[Image: 3_tower2.jpg]
G Type
Genre: Shoot 'em up.
Description: Gradius + R-Type delta = G - Type
Why you should download: Because its a fucking mix between Gradius and R - Type
[Image: 3_31941.jpg]
download link: http://www.acid-play.com/download/g-type/
cavestory pc version is an epic freeware remake of the wiiware game.. u should all d/l that. its a gr8 game.
hey there's already one of these threads
(06-05-2010, 10:14 PM)Francisco Cifuentes Wrote: [ -> ]G Type
Genre: Shoot 'em up.
Description: Gradius + R-Type delta = G - Type
Why you should download: Because its a fucking mix between Gradius and R - Type
[Image: 3_31941.jpg]
download link: http://www.acid-play.com/download/g-type/

Shit, this game is fucking fantastic.
Eh, I didn't like Synasthete. Mainly because I think they sacrificed too many of the shooter elements for the rhythm stuff.