The VG Resource

Full Version: Virtual Mitosis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm creating a Virtual Life and pseudo-evolution simulator. It's going pretty well, here's a screenshot:
[Image: untitled-7.png]
And the download of the latest version:
Made with GM6
the screen resolution doesn't change
Window size is 512X512
Size is 3.4Mb.
http://www.mediafire.com/?wzzndemmnyj

I’m running out of ideas. Suggestions, critique and Cell Submissions would be a great help! Really! Want to make it as diverse as possible.

Here’s the basic animal cell:
[Image: CellSubmissionExample.png]
Plant cell is exactly the same but always square and without the centrosomes (the two things next to the nucleus). Add a description of your cell and I'll see if I can add it in. :lol: No recolours though please... Sad

There are four kinds of cells, their palletes are included in the sprite sheet.
Green Life: The most basic form, green animal and bacterial life feeds off nutrients or waste while green plant life creates nutrients from pollution.
Blue Life: Carnivorous life. Blue Life eats Green Life.
Red Life: Herbivorous life. Red life eats Plant Life.
Purple Life: Any form of life which can excrete a jet of poison to fend off would be attackers.

Other forms will be accepted with a good description and if they stick to a minimum of 8 colours.

Plus there are also Nano-bots, these can be used in the latest version but they are not yet fully functional.

I'll add the sprite sheets of the other cells once I make them.

Cell Contributors:
Lexou - 3 Cells
Slow down there, big boy. I can't tell what in hell is going on in that screenshot. I think you should work at making your game not as cluttered to look at before you ask for more cell suggestions.
(06-01-2010, 11:03 AM)TheProtalGruru Wrote: [ -> ]Slow down there, big boy. I can't tell what in hell is going on in that screenshot. I think you should work at making your game not as cluttered to look at before you ask for more cell suggestions.

Its a Cell Division sim, not really a game as such. That's a later stage in the sim after there have been a lot of cell divisions and evolutions. The animal cells (Green Balls) eat the nutrients (Yellow Pellets) which are made by the Plant Cells(Green Squares). I can see what you mean by cluttered but thats the aim of it, to become cluttered.Cool
(06-01-2010, 11:10 AM)Kurai Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2010, 11:03 AM)TheProtalGruru Wrote: [ -> ]Slow down there, big boy. I can't tell what in hell is going on in that screenshot. I think you should work at making your game not as cluttered to look at before you ask for more cell suggestions.

Its a Cell Division sim, not really a game as such. That's a later stage in the sim after there have been a lot of cell divisions and evolutions. The animal cells (Green Balls) eat the nutrients (Yellow Pellets) which are made by the Plant Cells(Green Squares). I can see what you mean by cluttered but thats the aim of it, to become cluttered.Cool

Well, if that's what you're going for, good luck with your project. I've waited a long time for something like this to come along.

Have you thought of possibly putting viruses into the mix of things? Might add some extra spice to the simulation.
(06-01-2010, 11:16 AM)TheProtalGruru Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2010, 11:10 AM)Kurai Wrote: [ -> ]

Well, if that's what you're going for, good luck with your project. I've waited a long time for something like this to come along.

Have you thought of possibly putting viruses into the mix of things? Might add some extra spice to the simulation.

So far there are two forms of virus that pop up every now and then. There's a red one (which can be released with the "V" key) which infects the basic animal cell and a yellow one which infects the basic carnivore cell. I'm planning to make more viruses however which will infect all the cells.

How the viruses work: They form from waste (Brown Pellets) and drift around aimlessly until they latch onto a host cell. The host cell will become sluggish and once it eats its fill, instead of going through mitosis, it breaks down and releases more virus which in turn infect more cells.
It's hard to indify the image... But two things:
1. Try shading your sprites, a little.
2. On URL image, it's dosen't have ", just put without it!
(06-01-2010, 12:22 PM)gabrielwoj Wrote: [ -> ]It's hard to indify the image... But two things:
1. Try shading your sprites, a little.
2. On URL image, it's dosen't have ", just put without it!

1. I wanted to keep the style very basic with a limited amount of colour for each cell, I tried shading them before and it didn't look so great. If you could perhaps show me an example and I could maybe work off that.Smile Was thinking of using code to shade them in-game.

2. I'm sorry but I don't quite understand...Shy Will check out the first post's image and then edit this.

Thanks.Smile

Edit: Think I got it. Will post a smaller image tomorrow too.
These are some cell designs I made quite some time ago on paper, and I sprite them for thee.
How does it look ?
[Image: cells.png]
(06-01-2010, 01:15 PM)Lexou Wrote: [ -> ]These are some cell designs I made quite some time ago on paper, and I sprite them for thee.
How does it look ?

Very good! Thanks a lot! They're more than perfect. Big Grin More complex tha my basic shapes too. Smile
(06-01-2010, 01:26 PM)Kurai Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2010, 01:15 PM)Lexou Wrote: [ -> ]These are some cell designs I made quite some time ago on paper, and I sprite them for thee.
How does it look ?

Very good! Thanks a lot! They're more than perfect. Big Grin More complex tha my basic shapes too. Smile

It's great, I approve too!
Well, good luck on gaming project...
Also, this was to be like first level of Spore?
(06-01-2010, 01:29 PM)gabrielwoj Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2010, 01:26 PM)Kurai Wrote: [ -> ]
How does it look ?

It's great, I approve too!
Well, good luck on gaming project...
Also, this was to be like first level of Spore?

Actually it was to be something to show off back when I was in bio class studying mitosis. Dropped it for a couple of years and decided to pick it up again. The original had no other cells but the basic animal cells but I decided to add as many as possible.

New release, Vista and Windows7 compatible. Includes Lexou's red cell which is a slowish cell that feeds off the cell wall of plant cells. Working on adding the rest. Smile