The VG Resource

Full Version: Slissith's nooby sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there. The name's Slissith. I recently joined this forum having heard of it as a spriter place. I'm not really good at spriting, I do it as a hobby as it's really fun.

Here's a Dry Bones sprite I've working on recently.

[Image: DryBones.png] The thorax has been changed,but you can still see the old one.

The head is taken from a Google Images found sprite. It was however, reshaded entirely.

The shell and the thorax are mine completely (you can tell, can't you?)

The hands and feet were taken from the M and L sprite next to mine but they were reshaded entirely as well.

Well, rate/comment/love/hate(not recommended)/flame(not recommended either) Away!
Uhhh.
Only Insects have thoraxes, as far as I can recall. Just say 'chest' or 'abdomen'

Since you actually have a reference sprite here, it should be clearer what colours and shading patterns would be sensible. Look at the chest you've drawn, and the reference sprite. See how they differ?
(05-27-2010, 06:24 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Uhhh.
Only Insects have thoraxes, as far as I can recall. Just say 'chest' or 'abdomen'

Since you actually have a reference sprite here, it should be clearer what colours and shading patterns would be sensible. Look at the chest you've drawn, and the reference sprite. See how they differ?

Unless it is different in English, in here it makes sense to say thorax- the thorax is the "box" made of bones enclosuing the lungs and heart. Since Dry Bones is a skeleton, he doesn't have a chest, but a thorax.
Oh right? Fair enough, I stand corrected.
having such a reference, all i could suggest you at this point is to work more on the outline, so it would actually resemble the original character,

WITHOUT tracing it. just try to mimic it by eye.
@GrooveMan.exe

Alright, changed the thorax bones. Made them thicker and coloured them to match the reference.

@Francisco Cifuentes

What do you mean by working on the outline? You mean the shell? Or should the thorax's right outline move to the left at some point?

Without tracing, you mean without copying, right?

Well ok, I've found a brilliant reference image. So, I might make some tweaks in accordance to that image using the current colors.

Suggestions are welcome, by the way Smile
The palette is a little too dark.
(05-28-2010, 07:12 AM)Lexou Wrote: [ -> ]The palette is a little too dark.

In which parts exactly? Propably the head, right?

EDIT: Did a minor pallete switch and changed the skull a litle.

[Image: DryBones-1.png]
The head shouldn't be right on top of the shell, look at the MLTongueiT sprite you have there for example. The head is connected by an invisible neck, yours simply has the head placed straight on the top. Also the arms should be more on the sides and a little lower down. Still, it's a vast improvement over the other ones.
(05-28-2010, 10:53 AM)Neslug Wrote: [ -> ]The head shouldn't be right on top of the shell, look at the MLTongueiT sprite you have there for example. The head is connected by an invisible neck, yours simply has the head placed straight on the top. Also the arms should be more on the sides and a little lower down. Still, it's a vast improvement over the other ones.

Better?

[Image: DryBones-2.png]
No, read what he said. Look at the MLTongueiT sprite for an example.
(05-29-2010, 11:50 PM)Tea Wrote: [ -> ]No, read what he said. Look at the MLTongueiT sprite for an example.

Hmmmm... what about now?

I didn't move the head simply because in the animated idle, it will move up and down.

[Image: DryBones-3.png]
Still, it's placement makes him look really uptight.
Maybe lean it forward.
(05-30-2010, 07:26 AM)Lexou Wrote: [ -> ]Still, it's placement makes him look really uptight.
Maybe lean it forward.

The head, right? Ok then.
The legs also look stiff (try bending them a little) and like those are its feet, not shoes (the MLTongueiT sprite isn't a really great example for that though).
Pages: 1 2