The VG Resource

Full Version: [APP][FINISHED] - 3D Dot Canvas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have a great idea for a 3D Dot Game Heroes character, but don't have a PS3 immediately on hand? Want to be able to create a 3D Dot artwork with clunky keyboard-and-mouse controls, rather than the smooth PS3 controller?

We have the answer for all your PC 3D Dot Game Heroes character creation needs! (not really)

Presenting 3D Dot Canvas!

[Image: screen1t.th.png]
- Make 16x16x16 sprites!

[Image: screen0e.th.png]
- Save sprites! Load sprites!

[Image: screen2bz.th.png]
- Move the camera around with your MOUSE! Or your keyboard, if you so prefer.

Try it today!
Click on the Link to download:

[Image: linkzo.gif]

Notices:
- This product is a work-in-progress, and any C+C would be appreciated.
- This product is not compatible with 3D Dot Game Heroes. Yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, since I don't have a PS3, but I really wanted to be able to make and save 3D Dot characters, I made this little character editor. It lags a bit on my laptop, but it should run fairly smoothly on a computer 3 years or younger.

Also, I want to be able to make this editor compatible with the PS3 game, meaning characters created with this editor would be able to work in the game, and characters created in the game would work with this editor. However, I'm having trouble sorting out how the character data is set up in the files.

So, if you try it out, please provide some C+C; any comments to help improve this program would be greatly appreciated.
You've made my day.
Oh lord, this is fantastic. Excellent job, Sploder, my down time is going to be spent on this for days.
this already exists by the name Cube Kingdom. http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2009/06/f...ngdom.html

however, if you can manage to make it compatible with the PS3 game, you're welcome.
how do you make your sprites
can somebody give me a tutorial on basic cunstruction
Well, I usually start by making a 16x16 sprite of the front and side. You could also do ones for top, bottom, back, and/or the other side, if you feel it would help with planning the 3d shape (as is often done with regular 3d modeling).
[Image: tempp.png]

Then, I copy the side frame to the editor, pretty much all on one plane.
[Image: screen0f.th.png]

From there, I expand it so that the front matches my front frame, as well as extending and fixing some of the more 3d aspects of the sprite, such as curves and the like (this isn't so obvious on a simple thing like this bulldozer...).
[Image: screen1vd.th.png]

Bulldozer sprite

I guess a video would likely be more useful, but I'm not too well-versed in video-making. But anyway, that is essentially the idea.

TL;DR version:
1. Sprite some 16x16 frames of the sprite from different side (at least front and side).
2. Sprite one of those frames directly onto one plane in the editor.
3. Extend that sprite until it comes fairly close to the original frames, making adjustments to improve the sprite's 3d aspects.

---------------------------------
BTW, I guess if any of you guys make anything nice and feel like sharing them for whatever reason, you can upload the .3dd files somewhere and they can be easily opened by the editor. As for saving 2d images, I plan on making a way to make taking screenshots a little easier, so you don't have to worry about the cursor or grids getting in the way.
you know what would be cool
if this could translate 16x16 pictures into cubes

like make each pixel of the picture into a cube of the same color on the 3d plane
Make a button that disables / enables showing the grid. Tongue
actually what this needs is a way to control the cursor location on all three axises (axes?) separately.
It's sort of awkward having to rotate the camera to switch from the x axis to the z axis. There needs to be dedicated control keys for up/down, left/right, and in/out.
(05-28-2010, 11:40 AM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]actually what this needs is a way to control the cursor location on all three axises (axes?) separately.
It's sort of awkward having to rotate the camera to switch from the x axis to the z axis. There needs to be dedicated control keys for up/down, left/right, and in/out.

I actually used to have this in the very first version I made (though I found it a tad confusing). I'll add that back in.

Also, about your other idea (for loading 16x16 images), I think I can do that, but I'm going to work on adding some other cursor functions first (moving blocks and resizing the cursor).

@Rhymey, yeah, I planned on doing that.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
Absolutely fun program! I made something on it, this is my progress for my first 3d Dot creation:

(Images are shoved in spoilers)

Step 1: I grabbed my source image. I decided I would make a Cacodemon from Doom. I decided to use only this image for the source and use my memory to build anything that isn't just his face.

Step 2: I made two basic 2d images as reference to build off of.

Step 3: I filled out the 3d shape. It was a tad disorienting trying to make a spherical monster, but I think I got the basic shape of the Cacodemon down in the end.

Step 4: It felt bland, so I added a tiny bit of pixel shading and a couple more details. NOW he feels finished!

Click here to download my Cacodemon save (both detailed and bland versions!)

I can see myself spending a lot of time with this program. Great job!
a word of advice for people working on this:

just like spriting small characters, when modeling characters try to be as concise as posible when it comes to details. to many random spots everywhere and the readbility of your character will be reduced greatly.
I was recently able to attend a live demonstration of 3D Dot Game Heroes ... and color individual pixels in the cube-shaped canvas provided. Review on Cleveland HiBore XLi Irons
Another feature that would be helpful:

Front view and side view buttons, so that you don't have to keep manually rotating the cube to be able to see what you're doing.