The VG Resource

Full Version: Web Design - New RGZ (warning 56K users)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 2010m.png]

Redesigning RGZ and wanted opinions before I make a 100 billion icons, can't think of anywhere else really to get too many opinions from (minus friends and family) so posting it here.
i remember this website
looks good bra
Not sure if I like the colourscheme. The muted greyish blue in the sidebar and title bar look pretty weird with the more saturated background.

I'm also thinking giving the content a fixed width might be useful? You've got a lot of huge horizontal whitespace, while vertically things are pretty close together, which seems unbalanced to me. Look for example at the main page of this website; the gutters are similar sizes vertically and horizontally, which makes the whole page look more unified, imo.
A better example of what I'm talking about is the BBC website:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/
Sure, it's certainly not going to win any awards for innovation, but it's a practical and straightforward design.
The whole thing is extremely wide, as already stated. Also, some of those letters in the left-side bar look like they were from different font sets. Such as the A, D and W, which could use to be more mechanic-looking and symmetrical like the rest.

The background itself looks a little plain as well. Maybe try putting in some transparent silhouettes of old arcade game sprites? Not too many of course, that would make the background stand out in a negative way.
I thought this would be about a Re-GZ
Uses Gradius style text, might look into editing it myself if others complain. The content page changes width for different resolutions (as far as I know). As for the horizontal spaces, this should be fixed as more content is added. Sadly there is a small error in Chrome which I'm hoping to fix.
As for the background, don't really want anything in it - think it'll make it look a but too busy. Colour scheme is something I'll look into though, check out the 'test' NES section (http://www.retrogamezone.co.uk/final/index.htm) taking in mind only the 'Number' and 'A' section has anything in it, nothing links and there's some place holder icons.