The VG Resource

Full Version: Action Doom (The First One)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It kind of bugged me that I submitted Action Doom 2 and I hadn't ripped the first one. I went back and decided that I really should (also after a friend agreed I should do it, he should be joining with some incredibly awesome sprite rips of his own eventually). There was a bit of difficulty in this one because it actually used a lot of default Doom graphics instead of completely reinventing everything the way that Action Doom 2 did. As such, I didn't include anything that was sprites straight from normal, old Doom and only posted sprites that are new in Action Doom (even if that includes sprites that are merely EDITED Doom sprites). Anyway, I demand that you enjoy!

[Image: actiondoomalienicon.png] [Image: actiondoomboxslugicon.png] [Image: actiondoomfirstbossicon.png]
[Image: actiondoomgiantsquidico.png] [Image: actiondoomimpsandgooico.png] [Image: actiondoommotheralienic.png]
[Image: actiondoommutantbossico.png] [Image: actiondoomninjaicon.png] [Image: actiondoomtankicon.png]
[Image: actiondoomturreticon.png] [Image: actiondoomweaponsicon.png]

Also the zip when you click the title icon, as always:
[Image: actiondoomicon.png]

Alright, so, as always, let's talk about Action Doom. It started development as an fairly unambitious idea known as Metal Slug Doom, which turned all of the hitscan bullets into slow-moving projectiles (like Metal Slug). It was two years after it started development that the developers started making levels, and the mod started to evolve. It became the first Doom mod to feature things like a drivable boat and a racing minigame accessible through an arcade game. The game was also notable for its crazy-awesome advertisements which were spread along Doom forums before its release. Prime examples include:
[Image: actiontip1.png] [Image: actiontip2.png]
[Image: promo12.png]
In the end, Action Doom came out as one of the most revolutionary Doom mods of all time, though unfortunately it didn't have the type of ground-breaking effect that it was expected to have. Most of the Doom community went unfazed and most people stuck to making level packs rather than total conversions as ambitious as Action Doom, though they did accept it as a great mod.

...and would you look at that? I believe this is my 10th thread and batch of submissions. Celebration and awe and such. Here's to 10 more then, aye?

Dunkelschwamm out (I really need to stop saying that, it makes me sound incredibly stupid T_T )
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7666/...andgoo.png
http://www.spriters-resource.com/arcade/ms/sheet/11301
hah, they're using the same sfx

Quote:...and would you look at that? I believe this is my 10th thread and batch of submissions. Celebration and awe and such.
Cute
Good catch! Yeah, a bunch of the effects in the game were ripped straight out of Metal Slug to give it more of a Metal Slug feel. Also there were some ripped from Duke Nukem 3D (the fountain of green goo is taken off of an effect of water that shoots out of broken fire hydrants in Duke Nukem).