The VG Resource

Full Version: Spear of Destiny: The Lost Episodes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey look, I ripped some more sprites.

Enemies:

[Image: sodlostepisodesguardico.png] [Image: sodlostepisodesdogicon.png] [Image: sodlostepisodesssicon.png] [Image: sodlostepisodesofficeri.png] [Image: sodlostepisodesbaticon.png]
[Image: sodlostepisodesfinallev.png] [Image: sodlostepisodesbossesic.png]

Other stuff:

[Image: sodlostepisodesweaponsi.png] [Image: sodlostepisodesmiscicon.png]

And, of course, the zip:

[Image: sodlostepisodesicon.png]

So let's talk about The Lost Episodes. It was actually two expansion packs of sorts made for Spear of Destiny by FormGen Corporation back in '94 called Return to Danger and Ultimate Challenge. They had new graphics from the original Wolfenstein 3D games by id, though the new graphics were reused between the two expansions, confusing some people who try to distinguish them. The only graphics that are different between them are the enemies that appear exclusively in the final levels. In Return to Danger, the enemies appear as ghosts wearing SS caps, while in Ultimate Challenge they appear as a cloud of green biochemical organisms. They're known as the Lost Episodes because of how few people actually knew of their existence. It used to be a rare artifact of an original Wolfenstein 3D fan to be able to get their hands on either of the expansions, but now if you buy Spear of Destiny through Valve's Steam digital distribution platform, it comes with the Lost Episodes as well. As for FormGen? Well, it ended up getting bought out by GT Interactive in '96. GT was known for having their hands in the publishing of such gems as Blood, Quake, Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem 3Very Sad Atomic Edition, Unreal Tournament, and loads of other games. Only 3 years later GT went defunct after Infogrames Entertainment took control over it.

So, that's your history lesson for the moment. Enjoy the sprites.

Edit: I'm appending the two SoD rips I did to this thread as it doesn't really feel like I should start an entire new thread for just two sheets. Here they are:

[Image: spearofdestinytransicon.png] [Image: spearofdestinyubermutan.png]

And here's the zip: Zip file ahoy!

Dunkelschwamm out.
Never heard of it, but if I did I certainly would had ripped it too :p
Anyway, might I ask you something? When I ripped Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny I couldn't rip a couple of enemies, mind ripping them too? The Ubermutant and Trans Grosse are the only ones left.
Sure thing! Just out of curiosity, did not being able to rip them have anything to do with them having strange purple all over them?
Not only purple, but also grey
Alright I updated with the two sheets. I used to have that problem all the time. I was all sorts of confused when I'd look at my SoD sprites and see that they were covered in colors that didn't appear ingame. The problem is actually quite simple.

[Image: paletteexample.png]

That's the game palette from Spear of Destiny next to the game palette from Wolfenstein 3D. They look almost identical, but when you look very closely you can see some bright purples become dark greens and the such. Most programs that people use to edit Wolfenstein graphics only use the palette from Wolfenstein 3D, so images come up looking like they just fell in a pit of bright, pink mud. For Trans and the Ubermutant here I used a Wolfenstein mod editor called Chaos Edit to select the SoD palette before extracting the sprites so they'd come out with the correct color information. I hope that was helpful!
Alright! Got it! Thank you very much Genki ^_^ I was using FloEdit