The VG Resource

Full Version: Concept and sprite: Chlorophyll
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Howdy everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster here, and I'd like to say I'm both very impressed with the site itself and with much of the work I've seen here. I'm not super experienced with spriting yet but coming here has been a big inspiration, and i've taken a shot with some designs for a game idea I had, which i'm thinking of titeling "Chlorophyll" unless I can think of something better.

I don't have much in the way of story yet, but as far as mechanics go, your character is a little plantlike fella who gathers energy from sunlight. Somewhat similar to Boktai for the GBA some years ago, but without the need to go outside. You'd need to soak up rays from in-game light sources, primarily the sun but also certain objects and items, and possibly enemies. You have a "solar gauge" and need to use your power wisely.

You'll also have a few different attacks depending on how much energy you use at once. You could either switch between them, or maybe it would just depend on how long you charged up.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=r20u4x&s=5

Here's a partially completed sheet showing the main character standing idle, and in an attacking pose. Below him is the solar gauge, and below that two possible attacks. The first is a little light ball, pretty weak but you can use it when you have no other energy. It's sort of your cruddy "default" attack with short range, but its better than nothing. The second, the laser, would be more powerful and of course, have better range.

I should say that I have no real animation experience and that the game will probably have limited animation, though definitley more than you see here. these were primarily for practice, but I was hoping to get a bit of critique anyway.

Currently I'm using GraphicsGale, which is a very cool program but is driving me crazy on a couple fronts (Has anyone figured out how to use the Onion Skin? I can't get it to work and for me that was a big selling point)
So this is a game project, right? Lemme move this for you.
(04-21-2010, 04:11 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: [ -> ]So this is a game project, right? Lemme move this for you.

Hey, thanks. I wasn't sure where to put it since I didn't have much to show except the one little sheet. I figured it wasn't "complete" enough to post here yet, but thanks anyway. I'll keep that in mind next time