The VG Resource

Full Version: Custom Suigi!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
100% Custom Sprite of Suigi. That's Suigi, as in Suigintou from Rozen Maiden.

Quite pleased with the clothing, not so much with her skintone.

And no, I don't plan to animate her, I just felt like spriting something.

[Image: customsuigi.png]

Oh yes, one of those sprites has eyebrows, the other doesn't.
oh

I'm relieved

I thought it was another shitty Mario fan character...

the sprite is kinda decent; you need to make the outlines smoother, use anti-aliasing and pay attention to the anatomy

the torso looks too thin because her head is big, and her left arm looks disconnected from the body. Draw a naked figure first, then add the clothes.
(04-11-2010, 08:11 AM)*Gorsal* Wrote: [ -> ]the sprite is kinda decent; you need to make the outlines smoother, use anti-aliasing and pay attention to the anatomy

the torso looks too thin because her head is big, and her left arm looks disconnected from the body. Draw a naked figure first, then add the clothes.

Thanks for the crits. I'll fix these things later, in a state of CBA at the moment. Some of them I realised while drawing it, like the head being too big, but couldn't be bothered to fix it, others I hadn't noticed, like the arm, so thanks for that.

Also, I only made this because I was looking at the rules of submission to TSR, and noticed that one of them said: "No fan characters, that means no Suigi... etc."
Unlike most people, my first thought when I hear "Suigi" is Suigintou, being that I have had several discussions on Rozen Maiden, and use Suigi as the short version of her name. I felt it would be quite fun to sprite her and name the thread "Custom Suigi" to see how many people click on it expecting an awful fan character.

Oh, and just so you know, this character's anatomy is slightly odd anyway. This is because she is actually an unfinished doll, with a missing lower torso, as you can see in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS2RuKM_co4
Suigi?

[Image: suigi.png]
(04-11-2010, 12:18 PM)Lemon Wrote: [ -> ]Suigi?

[Image: suigi.png]
This is exactly what went through my head
holy shit i though it was a retarded sonic fusion with luigi. good thing it wasn't.Embarassed

what needs more work right now is the face. from what i've learned, its extremely important to NOT use black outlines when drawing face features for two reasons: one, black literally eats colors around it, rendering small details cluttered and guly, it just draws too much attention away from anything else.(however if the skin tone is somehow more tanned/dark, it shouldn't be a problem)

second, not every single shape has to be outlined. BE WARNED this has nothing to do with selout. unlike a regular drawing, the space you have to work is extremely limited, and not only regarding the size of canvas, but also
[Image: 142djjb.gif]
because a single pixel makes a whole lot of space, space that you can easily save by the natural contrast between two shades, or by at least a less agresive hue of color between two shades. eyes are a particular bitch issue to deal, but its just a matter of trial and error.
[Image: 1zp02mb.png]
and lastly, remember, shading in anime is 90% of the time practical, but not functional. it certainly doesnt follow a defined light source, but instead just helps giving the proper volume and shape to objects.

ah yeah, you're using a retardely hig amount of colors and none of them do anything good for it. get some info about hue shifting, and use said knowledge to choose wisely your shades instead of just spitting unnecesary amounts of gradients.
the clothing also looks a tad pillowshaded, and you could do well with darker colors for the shading. I had to squint to see the shading on her clothes.
I really dig the shape of the dress and legs. Though, I feel the whole thing needs a lot of contrast in the shades and hues as well as less colors. Metaru said pretty much everything I was gonna say.
Worked on the face and shading, using Francisco's as a reference, moved her arms in, did some stuff to her hair, added more AA, changed the palette on her clothing.

Haven't yet decreased the colours, but I'll probably do that later.

EDIT: Couple more fixes and a colour counter:

what the fuck is wrong with that face
Wait what?

I'm totally at a loss here.
Anyway, I decreased the colour count and added more shading to the face, because it seemed to me it looked a little flat. It now uses 21 colours, though I'm not sure I like it like that, so I've updated the shading on the one with more colours as well. And speaking of that, it actually had 25 colours, not 26. My bad.

you made her face too skinny

Francisco has nailed it, check the face's outline on his edit
Removed the lowest line of pixels on the face, which actually made the lineart the same as Francisco's, but the hair strand on the far left is slightly longer in mine, covering up an extra 2 pixels.

It's bottom left.
her eyes are pointing in two different directions.
Pages: 1 2