The VG Resource

Full Version: Marathon Trilogy sprites (Crazy Ivan at it again)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Right, here goes. We'll do them chronologically.
Almost every character exists in a Minor and Major version, where the only difference is behavior and color. Some of them, like the fighter and BoBs come in as many as four varieties.

Game: Marathon.

[Image: m1fighter.png]
Pfhor Fighter.
Basic enemy. Comes in four colors. Two of the have the ability to launch projectiles at you, whereas the other must close in for the kill.
[Image: m1trooper.png]
Pfhor Trooper.
Trouble.
[Image: m1enforcer.png]
Pfhor Enforcer.
Said to only fire on other Pfhor (to keep them compliant), yet how come every time I see them I end up with a mouthful of exploding pebbles?
[Image: m1hunter.png]
Pfhor Hunter.
I'm pretty certain I can figure out where the inspiration for this dude come from.
[Image: m1juggernaut.png]
Pfhor Juggernaut.
"If I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone pay."
[Image: m1cyborg.png]
Pfhor Cyborg.
He just sits there and takes it. I suppose he's busy, since he singlehandedly controls the minds of thousands of Compilers.
[Image: m1wasp.png]
Wasp.
They hang around Pfhor for some reason. Pets or pests?
[Image: m1hulk.png]
Hulk.
If you can dish it, he can take it.
[Image: m1looker.png]
Looker.
Floats silently along the floor and hopes for you to step on 'im. Then it's KABLOOIE!
[Image: m1compiler.png]
S'pht Compiler.
Oh, and you DON'T think flashers are scary?
[Image: m1bob.png]
B.o.B.
He's on your side. Not that he does anything to help you. Comes in four fruity flavors, and one extra green version. That's the assimilated ones; the dreaded Explode-a-BoBs, who will run up to you and detonate. Their blood is yellow, like their Pfhor builders'.
[Image: m1madd.png]
M.A.D.D.
"Marathon Automated Defense Drone." Watch out, though, some are them actually ARE mad, and will fire at you. Otherwise, they do a pretty good job killing badguys.

Marathon 2 : Durandal

[Image: m2fighter.png]
Pfhor Fighter.
Notice the relocation of the eye.
[Image: m2trooper.png]
Pfhor Trooper.
Someone's been hitting the StairMaster...
[Image: m2enforcer.png]
Pfhor Enforcer.
"Much has changed" just doesn't cover it. Is that even the same species as the others?
[Image: m2juggernaut.png]
Pfhor Juggernaut.
Actually HUGE! Strangely enough, the sprites are not.
[Image: m2compiler.png]
S'pht Compiler.
Also come in invisible versions, and versions with guided projectiles. Bad combo.
[Image: m2defender.png]
S'pht'kr Defender.
The angry lost clan of the S'pht. One stray bullet and you're no longer friends.
[Image: m2hunter.png]
Pfhor Hunter.
Sure, the graphics are better, but I prefer the old design.
[Image: m2cyborg.png]
Pfhor Cyborg.
Not related to the Pfhor Cyborg of Marathon 1.
[Image: m2drone.png]
Pfhor Drone.
Nuff said.
[Image: m2flicktafixed.png]
F'lickta.
Wildlife. Comes in water, sewage and lava version. The Latter flings fireballs. The sewage version fling brown rock. Oh, God, at least I hope they're rocks.
[Image: m2tick.png]
Tick.
Like the dog that just won't stop licking you. Except this one sucks life or oxygen out of you.
[Image: m2bob.png]
B.o.B.
Well, well, well. look who decided to help out for once!

Marathon Infinity

Uses the same sprites as Marathon 2 : Durandal, but adds one more character.
[Image: m3vacbobfix.png]
VacBOB.
Vacuum enabled and fusion-powered. Take that Pfhor empire!

That's all, I guess. All the character sprites. I didn't rip the Marine, though. That is, the player. Marathon was the first FPS game where the player sprite changed appearance depending on what weapon was equipped, and therefore there are a huge number of sprites for the players.
Whoa, the MAC game? Never played it, but I read about it. Nice one
Not sure, but 2 enemies reminds me of X-COM: UFO Defense ( Pfhor and S'pht Compilers)
"X-COM: UFO Defense"? Never played it, but I read about it. Genki ^_^
Honestly, it seems like a very complex and immersive game...
Yeah, it's complex, immersion game and unless you read what to do, you'll hardly guess how you get to the final stage of the game. Oh, and the AI cheats. A lot. Even on easy mode
Oh, and it's also known as UFO - Enemy Unknown
I've seen sprites from it. I suppose it was here. Wish someone would rip the rest of them. It's so tantalizing when someone rips only part of a game, you know? That's why I try to get everything done at the same time. I don't know if I'll be ripping anything else, now, though. Don't have the technology for it. I'm on a Mac as you might have guessed, and can't use TileMolester or similar tools.

I could rip the other games that use the Marathon engine. Prime Target, Damage Inc. and ZPC, but I doubt anyone knows them.
Don't worry about people knowing them or no, just rip what you feel like Genki ^_^ I myself ripped some fairly unknown games like Sweet Home, Rise of the Triad and Whirlo

I did a quick research on some Mac programs, I hope it might help:
http://www.romhacking.net/utils/106/ -> Tile Eater, a tile editor for the classic Mac OS
http://www.romhacking.net/utils/460/ -> NES CHR Editor, this one is for Mac OS X and allows to rip from NES
http://www.romhacking.net/utils/109/ -> Tile Molester itself is a JAVA program, which means it's multi-plataform. Maybe you can try
http://www.romhacking.net/utils/515/ -> Tile Molester Alternative, same as above
Again, these are awesome, but can you make me a section icon? Tongue
(04-10-2010, 03:29 PM)Ultimecia Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.romhacking.net/utils/109/ -> Tile Molester itself is a JAVA program, which means it's multi-plataform.

Well will you look at that! Thanks, Ultimecia! If I can figure this program out, I'll be one happy camper. Not sure how much ripping I'll do, for a while, though. I kinda messed myself up with the last two sessions. My eyes, my back and my shoulder is/are killing me.

@Tonberry2K: If you show me how.
All you have to do is get me a good screenshot of the gameplay. I can do the rest.
(04-11-2010, 10:42 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]All you have to do is get me a good screenshot of the gameplay. I can do the rest.

Do I have to take it myself, or can I just nick it from the internet? You see, it's a bit cumbersome to actually play the game nowadays, what with the new processors and operating systems and whatnot. It's not impossible, though. Just wondering.
You can grab it from the net as long as it's high quality.
(04-11-2010, 06:46 PM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]You can grab it from the net as long as it's high quality.

How about these? Straight from the horse's mouth.
[Image: mara3.gif]
Marathon.
[Image: mtwo1.jpg]
Marathon 2 : Durandal.

[Image: inf06.jpg]
Marathon Infinity.
Thanks!
Sorry about popping out of the blue, but I'm helping Ton with the icons and the Pfhor Cyborg is down, and it's the only one left from M2 to do. Would you mind uploading it again?
I think I might have the sheet saved, so I can do it. Thanks a lot, Ulty!
Pages: 1 2