The VG Resource

Full Version: Dark Forces enemy sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is my first submission. I've been wanting to contribute for a while now, to add to the community that has given me much joy. I hope it's all as it should be.
Here we go.

Characters can most commonly only attack towards the player, which is such a shame, because it would be hard to use these sprites for anything because of it. There was only one instance of infighting ever in the game.
Typically, they have two death sequences, one melee and one blasted. It mostly means that the first, or first few, frames have alternative versions.

[Image: dfstormfin.png]
Imperial Stormtrooper.
I think these are from a movie, or something.
[Image: dfcommando.png]
Imperial Commando.
Known in the game as "Imperial Commando," but I think they are actually called "Death Star Troopers." It's not a bad euphemism, though, as they are supposed to be superior to Stormtroopers.
In the game, they can deflect blaster shots with their wrists. Imagine the timing!
[Image: dfofficer.png]
Imperial Officer.
Color's off, though. I mean, in game. I actually thought, despite having seen the movies dozens of times, that they HAD brown uniforms for a long time. I always liked their death sequence in game. When you look at it frame by frame... it looks a bit... odd.
[Image: dfprobe.png]
Imperial Probe Droid.
Refuses to turn around.
[Image: dfinterrogation.png]
Imperial Interrogationdroid.
The only character which is not mirrored.
[Image: dfremote.png]
Remote.
These guys are so in your face. Literally. That's why the sprites are comparatively high resolution.
[Image: dfphase1.png]
Phase 1 Darktrooper.
Yeah, so this guy is a Terminator-looking robot with a shield and a sword that can deflect lasers? That's odd enough as it is, but...
[Image: dfphase3.png]
Phase 3 Darktrooper.
... this guy is just a power armor! Makes you wonder what...
[Image: dfphase2.png]
Phase 2 Darktrooper.
... The Phase 2's are supposed to be. This guy, in the data file, is missing one walk frame and one idle frame. Or, I shouldn't say "missing," rather, it's ONE of the other frames but I can't figure out which.
[Image: dfgran.png]
"Ree-Yees..."
... which is a name. Actually, unless he's been cloned like crazy, these are Grans.
[Image: dfgamorrean.png]
Gamorrean Guard.
That's a Vibro-axe, if you didn't know. Not sure how they work, but they sound painful... and obscene.
[Image: dfbossk.png]
"Bossk."
Yeah, he's not A Bossk, he's THE Bossk. I can't remember what his race is called. Also poorly colored. He looks like a rebel pilot, which he's not supposed to. I've seen people use this to make rebel pilot sprites.
[Image: dfkelldragon.png]
Kell dragon.
Invented for the game, I suspect. Perhaps clues could be found in the fact that the creature has a glass jaw, lacks anus and genitals, and the claws change color upon death?
[Image: dfsewerbug.png]
Dianoga (sewerbug).
You're laughing now, but these buggers are scary. Also the only instance of infighting mentioned earlier. (Not between them, but with the droids patrolling the sewers. Two characters that cannot turn around, fighting...)
I can't really put all the sequences together. I included some of the numbers for the "pop out of water and look around"-sequence. The other frames are from the idle poses.
[Image: dfboba.png]
"Boba Fett."
Yup. Mostly, when a game has a big name boss, they devote some attention to its development. Mostly. Could probably be recolored as Jango if you wanted to.

I think that's all of them.
Hope I posted this in the right place... I'm a bit disorderly.

Enjoy!
CRAZY IVAN
WHOA!
I...I... I LOVE THIS GAME!
THIS IS PURE AWESOMENESS! THANK YOU!
[Image: Love.png]

*ahem*

Dark Forces is a game by LucasArts and is part of the Star Wars Universe. So yeah, the stormtroopers and Boba Fett you can see in the old trilogy. The first mission is to steal the blueprints of the first Death Star (Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope). The first Death Star measured 120 km in diameter. It was populated by 27,048 officers; 774,576 troops, pilots, and crew; close to 400,000 support crew; and over 25,000 stormtroopers.
This game was released roughly as the same time as Doom, and had the yet-unseen fully 3D objects and was probably the second game to be able to look up, down, crouch and jump (the first one was The Rise of the Triad). Oh, and it's one of my favorite games Heart
Yes, the names you put on them are correct. Imperial Commandos aren't Death Star Troopers, they are superior to the Stormtroopers. It's like calling a sergeant or a colonel a regular soldier.
You mean there actually IS something known as "Imperial Commandoes?" Really?
I looked it up on what I assume is the most official source.
Here's a nerdy, personal link for you, Ultimecia.
Imperial Navy

BTW, Bossk is a Trandoshan, but I do believe that the manual stated he was a "Tardoshean." I no longer have it, and can't confirm.

Yeah, Dark Forces was pretty great. It was a bit later in time than Doom, but it sported some new features. "Whatever," I thought. "It's STAR WARS!"

BTW, if anyone out there could tell me where the falling scream comes from (if not Dark Forces), that would be awesome, because I'm pretty sure I've seen it used in other contexts.

Oh, BTW again, I was unsure these rips would live up to TSR standards, so I'm glad that you think so highly of my humble effort. It took most of the day.
A Star Wars fan pro-tip: Wookieepedia ;p
At this article they even show were the commandos appeared in all games.
When I first played it, I thought it was more fun than Doom, and I loved the new features. My dad, in other hand....

That screaming? It's the Wilhelm scream, quite famous through the media. I ripped the Dark Forces sounds and voices a while ago
- SFX
- Voices

For a long time I was trying to rip these sprites, but I never found a good tool. So, yeah, I loved it Genki ^_^ I'm so happy finding a fellow Dark Forces fan around
According to your link, Imperial Commandoes (as a name and concept) seem to be limited to games. The movie counterparts do not bear that name.

I'm pretty sure it's NOT a Wilhelm scream. They were only a few of them and I do believe I've heard examples of them all. Plus, none of them are that long... However... It could conceivably be a Wilhelm scream digitally elongated...

These are all the enemies from the game, so that no one will feel I missed ripping their favorite enemy. I was only going to do a choice few, but then before I knew it I had done half of them already, and then the droids had so few frames, and at some point it seemed idiotic to rip all enemies but, like, three or less. I found a neat way to do it, but it only works with Dark Forces, so I'm not sure what I'll rip in the future.
I have plans to rip one trilogy that I believe deserve recognition...

EDIT: Oh, and I dowloaded the sounds and voices a while back. I don't know if it was your rips or someone else, but I have them lying around. I love hoarding game memorabilia.
Yeah. Wookieepedia is a good source for this. Other is Star Wars Rebellion. The game is awful, but it's in-game encyclopedia is pretty impressive.

The first time they started to use the Wilhelm scream as an inside joke was SW Episode IV so I don't think it's that far from it. Or maybe they just recorded for this game. I recall it was quite similar, but not really it. Oh well

Can you rip the items, walls/floors textures and those things too? And which games you have in mind?

I don't think I uploaded it at anyplace yet but there you go anyway. I also like getting weird game memorabilia. I ripped some stuff from Yoda Stories for example XP And Duke Nukem 3D sounds too
I think the file name is "FALL," if that helps. It could be a Wilhelm scream slowed down, actually... I could waste an hour trying to prove it by getting the Wilhelm screams and slowing them down myself. It's the kind of time consuming, and ultimately pretty unimportant, projects I like doing.

I can rip the items, but I don't think I can rip the textures. I'll explore my options there. I only have one app and must limit myself to its capabilities.
EDIT: I can view, but not extract, textures. However, the game uses several different color tables, so I would have to do a screen capture of every texture, then restart with a different color table, remember which of the textures I had captured, then cut and paste from the screen dumps into a new picture which would have to be humongous! It's not impossible, but it's an insane amount of work. The textures are pretty great, though, many of them. But there are a gazilion of them, too. Way more than, say, Doom has.

I'd rather leave it as a surprise for now. Not that I think many people will recognize them, which is a good reason to rip them.

Then it wasn't your sound rips I downloaded, because I did so a couple of months ago.

Do TSR have, or plan on having, a section for other materials, such as sound effects, maybe even music? (Though music would probably be a bit ungainly)
Well, you're welcome to do it if you want. I don't think it's important or worthwhile, but again...What's really worthwhile on this life? ...Geez *turns off the philosophy mode*

Well, I ripped Wolfenstein's tiles but I had the right tools to do so. It was sort of time-consuming but it wasn't hard and not that insane amount of work. I didn't tried Doom's textures but I agree with you that Dark Forces is way bigger than that.

Oooh, now I'm curious.

Much probably. I ripped it some long time ago but only a few people had this link. Now whoever wants to download it be my guest

*doing the Jedi trick* There's nothing to see here...Move along, move along...
Ok, we might have talked about sound effects, but certainly not music because it would be too troublesome (aka copyright)
I only managed to find the three most common Wilhelm screams, and it was neither of them... One candidate for the source of the scream is the movie "Monster from the Black Lagoon," though I don't have it around. It's just a hunch.

Doom has some awesome textures. I have screendumps of, I think, all of them, but they are in an awkward format and have to be isolated from the surrounding windows. Dark Forces textures are easily startled, but they are larger and in greater number.

I'll see if I can't get started today. Eating breakfast. Would it be a problem if the sprites were in no particular order? Because these rips I'm going to do will come out the same order they are in the data file. One character per sheet, of course, but the frames might be a bit jumbled.

It is a place for sprites, so I'm not expecting anything further than that. I was just curious.
wow, nice sprites dude
I owned this game! The cutscenes never worked right, and I was too young to read lots of it or play first person shooters very well, so often I was cheating. xD Wish I knew where the disc was, maybe I could unearth some way to play it.
Very cool. Can you make a section icon for me? Big Grin
(04-10-2010, 08:59 PM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]Very cool. Can you make a section icon for me? Big Grin

I wish I could. I can't use the Icon Maker, because I'm on a Mac.

@TomGuycott: "LAPOSTAL"
Same as the other topic, can you get me a screenshot?
(04-11-2010, 06:47 PM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]Same as the other topic, can you get me a screenshot?

How about this? Nicked as well; I have even more trouble playing Dark Forces than Marathon. In fact, it's proven more or less impossible.

[Image: dfslidea16.png]
Dark Forces.
Pages: 1 2