The VG Resource

Full Version: The Last Wizard and the Doomsday Rings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there! Here's a bit of information about my solo game project. Currently, I'm not looking for any assistance, but that may change later in development, when I start needing beta testers, animators, etc.

No this game doesn't use sprites. Graphics are vector. It works better for the zooming camera I need, etc.

The Last Wizard and the Doomsday Rings is a Flash RPG, one of the few console-length RPG yet seen in the Flash format, albeit SHORT console length.
The game is being coded (In AS 2.0), drawn and animated by me (though maybe not solely, as I may need some help later in the projec), with a fair bit of music composed by me for it, though the majority of the music has been found around the Newgrounds Audio Portal.

The game follows the adventures of Willem Mageson, who finds himself thrown into the heart of a plot to take over the world by an evil sorceror Ikta. From his small hometown in the west, Willem must find and claim the 5 Doomsday Rings, and then deal with Ikta once and for all.

So far, a lot of the game has been planned, including several dungeons, but not yet put into the game. The engine is still only half complete, and as such, no public demo is available. However, I can provide screenshots at the bottom of this post. Some of the graphics have already been drawn, including almost 100 different weapons for use throughout the game. As well as the main plot, there are numerous side quests planned, including such things as collecting "Lost Souls" around the map, and returning them in exchange for useful rewards.

That's pretty much all there is so far, I think. Enjoy the screenys, and I will bring out a public demo in a while. But it will be a while, since there is a lot to do before it's ready to showcase.

Oh yes, the screenshots aren't neccessarily exactly what the final game, or even the demo will look like.
And another thing: This is an original game, not a fangame, though you may expect to see nods towards series' you know, and perhaps even one or two characters may make an appearance, depending on the permissions I can get.

Screenshot selection 1 (Around the town):
[Image: menuiq.png][Image: inna.png]
[Image: warpstone.png][Image: memoryprism.png]
[Image: shopf.png][Image: battlec.png]
[Image: cagedlantern.png][Image: dungeon1.png]

Screenshot selection 2 (Updated character design/town WIP):
[Image: newwillem.png]
[Image: sterlberdtown.png]

Screenshot selection 3 (Dungeon 1):
[Image: dungeon1b.png][Image: dungeon1c.png]
[Image: dungeon1e.png][Image: dungeon1d.png]
[Image: dungeon1f.png][Image: dungeon1g.png]
[Image: dungeon1h.png][Image: dungeon1i.png]
Wow, looks amazing so far, especially for being a one-man game.

I've never been real big on flash games (i dont really like browser games unless fullscreen because of the cluttered amateurish-looking sites that host them(except Nitrome and the like)), but this is impressive.

Actually, it makes me want to install my copy of Flash again.
(04-06-2010, 01:16 PM)SengirDev Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, looks amazing so far, especially for being a one-man game.

I've never been real big on flash games (i dont really like browser games unless fullscreen because of the cluttered amateurish-looking sites that host them(except Nitrome and the like)), but this is impressive.

Actually, it makes me want to install my copy of Flash again.

Thanks! There are a few lag issues, but so far they seem to somehow solve themselves the more I plough into the game, so I'm just going ahead regardless. Besides, setting the quality to low fixes them, being that it's just render lag.
I'm sorry

I can't stand vector graphics like that so I can't really give you an unbiased opinion on the graphics

but as far as the game itself, it looks like it's progressing nicely
(04-06-2010, 10:00 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry

I can't stand vector graphics like that so I can't really give you an unbiased opinion on the graphics

but as far as the game itself, it looks like it's progressing nicely

Well, sprite graphics are impractical for a game of this size, particularly as I intend to draw most of it myself, and 3D graphics are out of the question, as I can't model to save my life.

Haven't been working on this game for a while, my computer broke down and I had to rebuild it. I managed to keep all my data though, and I will continue with it when I've replaced the majority of my programs.
(04-12-2010, 12:06 PM)Hoeloe Wrote: [ -> ]Well, sprite graphics are impractical for a game of this size
Sprite graphics are never impractical.

*smokes a digital cigar*
(04-12-2010, 03:39 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-12-2010, 12:06 PM)Hoeloe Wrote: [ -> ]Well, sprite graphics are impractical for a game of this size
Sprite graphics are never impractical.

*smokes a digital cigar*

Try spriting 120 odd different weapons, in various rotations and sizes to allow them to move fluidly (which will add up to about 30 frames per weapon) and then tell me it's still practical.

;D
I would have to see the game in motion before I can answer that one.
(04-27-2010, 01:37 AM)Alpha Six Wrote: [ -> ]I would have to see the game in motion before I can answer that one.

Well, I'd best get on with the first dungeon so I can release a demo then!