The VG Resource

Full Version: What makes a 'good' game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
In your opinion, what makes you define a game as 'good'? Is it the graphics? A good storyline? long play life? Customisability?

I want to know what you think.
Tricky question.
The easiest way to reply is to tell you how to do the worst game ever: try to please everyone.

First you need to consider which type of game you're going to make. Then your audience. Then the mechanics, so on. I'm not going to say that the same gameplay I have on a Final Fantasy is the type of gameplay I want to see in a Devil May Cry, or at a FPS.
But some things are sort of universal, like good characters, a non-annoying music and a good gameplay for whatever you try to do.
That question is so horribly subjective; you're never going to get a straight answer. Aside from what kind of content people would prefer; there's the variable definition of "good".

"What makes a fun game" would be a narrower; easier to answer question; but then that's still incredibly open. If this question was in any way easy to answer; then all games would be good; hurr.
To put it simply, I'd say originality.

I'd much rather play something new and original and innovative (yet still fun) rather than blockbuster FPS #489273485
(04-05-2010, 08:10 AM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]To put it simply, I'd say originality.

I'd much rather play something new and original and innovative (yet still fun) rather than blockbuster FPS #489273485

This is why Nintendo is still on top. Miyamoto is king of originality with titles like Super Mario Bros (He invented the genre), Pikmin, and Chibi-Robo.
for me, gameplay comes first, followed closely by originality and characters.

I love a game that gives me a good adrenaline rush, and even moreso if I care about the plot. if I find something to be awesome, I'll be playing that game all day.

originality helps a game make a lasting impression. some games could have mediocre gameplay, but if the story and execution strike me enough, I'll still be remembering the game for years to come.
Villains. If you have a good plot then yeah I'll play it but I'll play it even move if the villain has an amazing character and character development.
(04-05-2010, 08:37 AM)SengirDev Wrote: [ -> ]This is why Nintendo is still on top. Miyamoto is king of originality with titles like Super Mario Bros (He invented the genre), Pikmin, and Chibi-Robo.

20 years later we're still collecting coins and jumping around. i'd say the difference is not being zomg original(pikmin's concept is basically lemings.).

in the last years a good game could be considered as a game that can integrate both gameplay, artwork, and music into one, powerful and solid concept that is focused to a specific audience that knows what it wants, and that can exploit itself even beyond its original boundaries.
For me well good controls, a good storyline too get you interested in it, good actors that make you awe in excitement, oh and the graphics as well.
I personally think that game life is most important. I hate completing the same game several times or whatever
(04-05-2010, 01:20 PM)Francisco Cifuentes Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-05-2010, 08:37 AM)SengirDev Wrote: [ -> ]This is why Nintendo is still on top. Miyamoto is king of originality with titles like Super Mario Bros (He invented the genre), Pikmin, and Chibi-Robo.

20 years later we're still collecting coins and jumping around. i'd say the difference is not being zomg original(pikmin's concept is basically lemings.).

in the last years a good game could be considered as a game that can integrate both gameplay, artwork, and music into one, powerful and solid concept that is focused to a specific audience that knows what it wants, and that can exploit itself even beyond its original boundaries.

and 25 years later we're 2d in a 3d world, traveling through time, being swallowed by Bowser, kart racing, playing minigames with our friends, playing sports, etc.
mechanics come first for me, everything else changes with me. i DONT like gameplay innovations, just game mechanic innovations. this is why i now hate nintendo.
Before you can define what a "good game" is, you have to define the genre that it's in, and then take into account how the developer approaches said genre.
(04-05-2010, 03:55 PM)icarly viewer Wrote: [ -> ]mechanics come first for me, everything else changes with me. i DONT like gameplay innovations, just game mechanic innovations. this is why i now hate nintendo.

examples of nintendo hate please
i'd like to hear more about this
fuck you vipershark completely derailing this thread into your stupid endless circlejerking.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5