The VG Resource

Full Version: Everyone keeps telling me to buy a DS flashcard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
but they keep contradicting each other fffffffffffff

what's a good flashcard for the classic ds
They all have different properties. All of them will run old ganmes fine, but newer games have better emulation protection; so they run variably. In the long run, all flascarts will eventually run any game; either via updates of the firmware themselves; or patching of the roms.

R4 and M3 Simply are essentially the same firmware; although R4 is no longer officially updated. There's a fan homebrew version of this called YSMenu. None of them work on the DSi. I had an R4; but gave up on it when it couldn't run M&L3 or KH358/2.

CycloDS is the flasy one with lots of functions. It boasts the ability to do save states, and to access options even while playing games. It's newest incarnation might run on the DSi, but don't quote me on that.

AceKard is the emulation extrodinare one. It runs most games with minimal to no patching (althogh some piracy lockouts do need to be navigated still). The newest model - the AceKard 2i is the one I use. It can run on the DSi; natch. However; because this firmware is so self reliant. If a game comes out that it can't run; it's usually the last to get a patch for it.
CycloDS and Acekard are the only ones with your time. R4s still out on the market are risky, there's a lot of fakes going around since they stopped selling them directly.
I'd suggest an Acekard, personally. CycloDS are too expensive. The cheapest I could find them was 45$, which is waaaaay ridiculous because I got a micro SD and an acekard 2 for 18$.
My R4 can run KH358/2 and I only used the official firmware. There are roms fixed to run with those. Other than that, only SMT: Strange Journey that corrupts the save, so I'm waiting for the fixed version.

I have the phatt model, and before I used to have a very bad flashcard called "Ninja DS". Not reliable and it broke on use. So far I don't had any problem with my R4, although it might be better to check CycloDS and Acekard. They might be a little expensive right now because of DSi, I think, but you pay for it once and you're not going to have to worry about the money for the games for a long time (unless you like the game and want it) and run the homebrew too (like the Doom and Hexen conversions)
I don't want a Dsi one, I want one for regular Ds :s

so I assume Acekard 2 is the best?
If you have the money:

Slot 1: ClycloDS evolution
Slot 2: EZ flash 3 in1

If you want something not quite as good but for cheaper:

Slot 1: Acekard 2i
Slot 2: EZ flash 3 in 1

i have the evolution and ezflash 3in1 and it really is perfect. i cant see a single flaw.
(04-02-2010, 11:45 AM)Pugsta Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want a Dsi one, I want one for regular Ds :s

so I assume Acekard 2 is the best?

Sorry to double post but..

CycloDS is better than Acekard 2. But not THAT much better.
But it's quite a lot more expensive.

Personally i'd rather pay for the more expensive one if it's better. It's not like you're ever going to have to buy it again.

Plus Cyclo's official firmware is updated very regularly.

When the HG/SS rom was released. Acekard and cyclo were the only brands of cards that could run the game 100% perfect with no freezing. This kind of anti piracy is being used in quite a few games now so if you want to be able to play immediately after release. Go for one of these.
(04-02-2010, 11:36 AM)Ultimecia Wrote: [ -> ]My R4 can run KH358/2 and I only used the official firmware. There are roms fixed to run with those. Other than that, only SMT: Strange Journey that corrupts the save, so I'm waiting for the fixed version.

I have the phatt model, and before I used to have a very bad flashcard called "Ninja DS". Not reliable and it broke on use. So far I don't had any problem with my R4, although it might be better to check CycloDS and Acekard. They might be a little expensive right now because of DSi, I think, but you pay for it once and you're not going to have to worry about the money for the games for a long time (unless you like the game and want it) and run the homebrew too (like the Doom and Hexen conversions)

feels good playing strange journey on my fancy acekard 2
and saving
i have an r4 and i recommend it. i guess i don't do a lot of actual gaming with it? i got it mainly for lsdj and the snes emulator. i can run most games, though
I wanted an r4 for the longest time.
Don't bother.

I got an Acekard 2i. It was 10 bucks and works flawlessly. Find a good Slot-2 card that can play GBA games (someone recommend one of these to me) to go with it, and you're set.
Acekard 2.1 with AKAIO firmware (currently at 1.6 rc2) is the best budget flash card IMO. Normatt and his team update AKAIO's loaders regularly. If a game doesn't work properly on an Acekard, it will work in a newer, more compatible loader within 3-4 days. It has fully customizable skins, wireless updating, up-datable cheats, high homebrew compatibility, and amazing ndsrom compatibility. I'm not alone; it won GBAtemp's "best DS flashcard of 2009" poll, with 40% more votes than the runner up (CycloDS Evo). Best of all, it only costs 15-20 dollars.

I've owned one since August 2009 and it hasn't broken itself yet.
also yes, I forgot to mention that if you get an acekard, make sure to get the AKAIO firmware for it.
the stock firmware runs a lot of games but isn't compatible with everything, while AKAIO has zero problems that I've seen thus far and is essentially flawless

also the Acekard is 10 bucks on dealextreme compared to around 30 and upwards for other cards, so there is literally no reason not to get one