The VG Resource

Full Version: Alien 3 Genesis rips question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, I promised Propaganda that I would rip Ellen Ripley's sprites from the Genesis version of Alien 3, but I am having trouble finding a decent background to use for ripping Ripley's crawling sprites (when she's in a vent.) The emulator I am using is GENS Plus!, which has a layer system. Problem is, when I delete the background layers, it leaves a black background, and Ripley has black in her palette. Any suggestions?
I have hacked a Gens Savestate to turn the Background Color Pink. I have tested this with GensGS and it worked. The used Rom is "Alien 3 (UE) (REV00) [!]". Check out the Savestate in the Attachment.
(03-23-2010, 03:45 PM)Maxim Wrote: [ -> ]I have hacked a Gens Savestate to turn the Background Color Pink. I have tested this with GensGS and it worked. The used Rom is "Alien 3 (UE) (REV00) [!]". Check out the Savestate in the Attachment.

Okay, but... I can't find the ROM in question...

Edit: Never mind, I got it working. How did you hack the background color? Because I want the sprites to be 100% accurate (Plus the sheet I was working on won't open for some reason), but the hack only works for that one area. If you could tell me how you hacked the background, I'll do it, and rip the others.
Ok, i try to explain my Method, but i have to mention, that this hardly works for every Genesis Game: First, you need a Hex Editor ( i use Hex Editor MX) and a tool called "GSavestate" which allows you to open Gens Savestates (btw its very useful for Background/Layer ripping).
Open GSavestate, load your Savestate and click on the VDP-Register. More Registers will appear, click on "Color RAM". You will see a Color-Chart and below, there are the Hex-Values for the Colors. The Background Color is found in the Chart at 0,0 - this is the Color you want to change. The Hex Value is $0000, but you can't search for that in a Hex Editor, because there are too many Zeros in the Savestate.
Instead, look at the Hex-Values for the Colors next to Black (in GSavestate). In my Savestate, its $0CCC. So i searched that in the Hex-Editor and got a Result, that has four Zeros before it. I changed them to "0E0E" (Pink) and gone is the black Background. Now i know, this sounds very complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it's quite easy. If you don't understand this at all, maybe i could make an illustrated Tutorial...
(03-23-2010, 06:31 PM)Maxim Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, i try to explain my Method, but i have to mention, that this hardly works for every Genesis Game: First, you need a Hex Editor ( i use Hex Editor MX) and a tool called "GSavestate" which allows you to open Gens Savestates (btw its very useful for Background/Layer ripping).
Open GSavestate, load your Savestate and click on the VDP-Register. More Registers will appear, click on "Color RAM". You will see a Color-Chart and below, there are the Hex-Values for the Colors. The Background Color is found in the Chart at 0,0 - this is the Color you want to change. The Hex Value is $0000, but you can't search for that in a Hex Editor, because there are too many Zeros in the Savestate.
Instead, look at the Hex-Values for the Colors next to Black (in GSavestate). In my Savestate, its $0CCC. So i searched that in the Hex-Editor and got a Result, that has four Zeros before it. I changed them to "0E0E" (Pink) and gone is the black Background. Now i know, this sounds very complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it's quite easy. If you don't understand this at all, maybe i could make an illustrated Tutorial...

It keeps saying "Wrong File Type!" Why is that? The savestate's suffix is the same as the one specified in the program, but it won't open it.
You are getting this Message, because Savestates from Gens Plus! are not supported. As far as i know, this Emulator is outdated and not developed any more. I suggest, you get a newer Emulator like Gens/GS. In any case, this is the one i am using and it works fine.
Okay, I think you should make an illustrated tutorial; I'm having trouble understanding the directions.
(03-23-2010, 09:08 PM)WingWangWao Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, I think you should make an illustrated tutorial; I'm having trouble understanding the directions.

I have made a Tutorial with Pictures. It should make things more clear.
Thanks pal Big Grin Your tutorial made the instructions clear as a crystal, and I am off to ripping Ripley and Alien sprites for Propaganda.

For a mod: There is no further need for this thread, as my question has been answered. You can close this if you wish.