The VG Resource

Full Version: Some questions on gaming preferences
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In PC games, do prefer full screen games over windowed games?

1) In an adventure heavy game, do you like large, explorable, detailed environments or more compact environments that are more platformer and 'avoid the pit' oriented?

2) How do you feel about collectible items such as coins/rupees etc. ?

3) In general, what aspects of adventure games do you like most?

4) How important is music to your experience?

5) How important is story to your experience?

Please answer (preferably in detail and why, more than just Yes or No), it'll help me a lot Big Grin
Okay I will answer the questions

Doesn't matter

Large explorable areas because it makes it feel like more of an adventure.

They are fine as long as they are used for something meaningful.

The world that it takes place in is by far the most important part for me. It can make the difference between a good game and a great game.

Music is important in every game.

Same goes for story. It needs a plot I can get into.

I hope this helps.
I prefer windowed, though you should leave an option to switch between them. That being said, if you do include the option, the game should ALWAYS start windowed so that it doesn't fuck with people's screen resolutions.

Large explorable areas because it makes it feel like more of an adventure.

They are fine as long as they are used for something meaningful.

The world that it takes place in is by far the most important part for me. It can make the difference between a good game and a great game. and the gameplay. There has to be good combat and platforming. And good level design. And good everything.

Music sets the tone for everything, and is almost more immersive to the game experience than the graphics. I usually remember a game by its music more than its graphics.

Same goes for story. It needs a plot I can get into.
Thanks guys!

Can I get some more answers? It'd really help me a ton Big Grin
Prefer full screen if it's 3D. Windowed if 2D.

1) Large and detailed

2) i like collectibles if they aren't all over (Y'know, like if you get them from killing monsters and from chopping down plants or whatever zelda style. i like that) I just don't like it when the land looks littered with money.
And i like the money to actually be useful for something. Unlike in zelda.

3) Varied enviroments. eg: snow, desert, deep forest, beaches, mountains.
I also like varied races and characters. Not tree people, that's been done a million times. Something new. The towns shouldn't all be the same either.

4) Not too important as long as it doesn't become annoying and repetitive.
Ambient noise can be important.

5) Very important (Except in casual games like puzzlers or fighting games)
In adventure games its nice to have something to play for. I just hate stories where you are playing to save an individual. Revenge stories are cool, so are the whole 'save everybody!' stories like in MM. If you are having to save people make sure you know the characters you are saving, and that they are deep or whatever. Nobody likes to save a 3D polygonal model with no personality.
I don't mind if the game is windowed or full screen.

1) In an adventure heavy game, do you like large, explorable, detailed environments or more compact environments that are more platformer and 'avoid the pit' oriented?

I like a combination of both. Large environments with areas that can be more compact.

If it's a type of currency, fine, but don't litter the game with them.

Normally the combat system and story.

If the music is awful, I'll probably dislike the game, but if it's not, then it's good.

Story is very important to my single player experience, as it makes me want to play on and know more about the game.
MP wise, though, I could care less about the back stories to the level.
Depends on the game if it's a MMO I need window features. If it's anything else I shouldn't be doing anything else.

1) Large explorable areas with avoid pits like Prince of Persia.

2) It has to be justified. Is the item necessary?

3) What I like is if this game's dialogue and cut scenes were taken away would I still play it? If the answer is yes then that means it's got serious replay value. That to me is key.

4) It can be pretty important sometimes it could be just someone's play list and it's like alright yes...this works. Usually though I like themes of music and themes of backdrop to coincide.

5) Not necessity BUT if it improves the overall enjoyment I all for it.
full screen

platformer, but I do like explorable worlds. kinda like Super Mario 64-esque.

a few are fine, but if there're a zillion different things to get, no thanks.

combat and exploration...I like button mashing and interesting environments.

I wouldn't say it's EXTREMELY important, but music can definitely enhance a game and make it all the more memorable.

the same as the above. I don't mind a cookie cutter story if the gameplay is great, but a great story will make a game with great gameplay all the better.
Usually I'm more into expansive environments that I can wander freely in, rather than platforming. I find platforming tends to be too linear or restrictive.
It depends though! If the game is more story-driven then I'm okay with the gaming being a little more linear. In more of a sandbox game, open ended areas are the only logical thing to use.

Depends. I basically agree with Woppet; it has to have a reason and not just be littered all over the place.
Also, vaguely related: I. Hate. Scavenger. Hunts. Brutal Legend had the legends, the music, the vistas and the dragon statues, and ffffFFFFFFFFFFF it got annoying. Especially the dragon statues since there's 120 of the buggers. Not cool.

Exploring and finding stuff that you haven't necessarily been lead to. Secrets, basically, or missions/quests that don't come to you or aren't from someone obvious.
Also, immersion. Even a fairly generic, realistic town can be made interesting if it feels like a real town and has decent attention to detail.

Very! Atmospheric music needs to set the mood for where I am. If I'm in a spooky, glittering forest, I do not want the music to be the same as the wide open plains. And if I'm in a little village I don't want the music to be the same as in a bustling city.
Atmospheric sound is important too! If I'm in the little village, I expect to hear some wildlife and not a lot of sound from people. In a bustling city I expect to hear traffic, people talking, maybe music or people selling stuff- just... sounds that make it sound alive.

Depends! There's nothing wrong with having an open-ended "do what thou wilt" kind of game. But if there's a story then it needs to be engaging and actually involve characters I can believe in and give a crap about. And a good story needs a decent backdrop- a lot of environment design seems to stop at the physical. I want to know how the people in the town act as a group - are they peaceful, progressive, melancholy? It annoys me that people in a lot of adventure games are just Regular Dudes in Fantastic Places.
Actually, that applies to even open ended games. Everything about the setting needs to be developed.

Basically, my big thing: IMMERSION. The place should feel alive. GTA4 is one of the best games for this, I think.
And I've only had that for two days, hurr.
windowed, but with the choice for full screen

more compact with only a number of secret routes, especially in 2D you dont want to be lost

as long as theres not too much of them and as long as theyre useful

special powers i.e zelda like things hookshot the leaf thing those things make my day

depends. if you want people to feel like theyre part of the world then yes but if you want a simple game which is a lot of fun then it should be just catchy

pretty much the answer to 4

hi moz
(03-22-2010, 10:24 AM)Epistaxis Wrote: [ -> ]1) In an adventure heavy game, do you like large, explorable, detailed environments or more compact environments that are more platformer and 'avoid the pit' oriented?
Usually I'm more into expansive environments that I can wander freely in, rather than platforming. I find platforming tends to be too linear or restrictive.
It depends though! If the game is more story-driven then I'm okay with the gaming being a little more linear. In more of a sandbox game, open ended areas are the only logical thing to use.

Depends. I basically agree with Woppet; it has to have a reason and not just be littered all over the place.
Also, vaguely related: I. Hate. Scavenger. Hunts. Brutal Legend had the legends, the music, the vistas and the dragon statues, and ffffFFFFFFFFFFF it got annoying. Especially the dragon statues since there's 120 of the buggers. Not cool.

Exploring and finding stuff that you haven't necessarily been lead to. Secrets, basically, or missions/quests that don't come to you or aren't from someone obvious.
Also, immersion. Even a fairly generic, realistic town can be made interesting if it feels like a real town and has decent attention to detail.

Very! Atmospheric music needs to set the mood for where I am. If I'm in a spooky, glittering forest, I do not want the music to be the same as the wide open plains. And if I'm in a little village I don't want the music to be the same as in a bustling city.
Atmospheric sound is important too! If I'm in the little village, I expect to hear some wildlife and not a lot of sound from people. In a bustling city I expect to hear traffic, people talking, maybe music or people selling stuff- just... sounds that make it sound alive.

Depends! There's nothing wrong with having an open-ended "do what thou wilt" kind of game. But if there's a story then it needs to be engaging and actually involve characters I can believe in and give a crap about. And a good story needs a decent backdrop- a lot of environment design seems to stop at the physical. I want to know how the people in the town act as a group - are they peaceful, progressive, melancholy? It annoys me that people in a lot of adventure games are just Regular Dudes in Fantastic Places.
Actually, that applies to even open ended games. Everything about the setting needs to be developed.

Basically, my big thing: IMMERSION. The place should feel alive. GTA4 is one of the best games for this, I think.
And I've only had that for two days, hurr.

Because I can't thank.
I can't stand it when PC games have to be full screen. It's windowed or nothing.

1) The linearity of a game doesn't really matter for me, but putting things in unecessarily obscure or hard to reach places isn't so much fun, as annoying.

2) Going shopping with them? Sure! For lives/bonuses? That's cool. For sake of having a 100% Completion? No, fuck off.

3) Overcoming a combat situation with a setup I choose. Having multiple ways to solve a puzzle is nice too; but of course that's very difficult to impliment. In terms of settings; having a believeable (and likeable) community of NPCs really helps with the whole immersion dealie.

4) Important insofar as I will hunt down the OST for a game that has funky music. Ones that trancend genre expectations moreso.

5) Important insofar that the dialogue has to be snappy. At this present stage in time, I don't belive good games are conducive with novel or movie-like storytelling; but it's the games that have well-written dialogue and identifiable characters that are praised for their writing.
windowed is preferred so i can keep an eye on msn but im ok with full screen

1) compact environments that are more platformer and 'avoid the pit' oriented?

2) fun as long as its not a hassle after a while

3)variation in routes, weapons, enemies and traps

4) not too important but it can be huge in a story based game

5) very important for me but im gay for rpgs so yeah
It depends. I do it sometimes on an initial playthrough for the immersion factor, but after that I like to have it in windowed mode so I can check up on other things while playing.

In adventure heavy games I like the world to feel very large and open. Its always a fun thing to be able to explore. In addition, there should be extra rewards for going out of your way to explore things. It annoys the hell out of me to be exploring a rather interesting area from top to bottom only to find absolutely nothing there. You don't need something around every corner, but don't leave wasted opportunities either.

I usually like them as long as they serve some type of purpose no matter how minuscule like an item shop or even just a way to unlock another skin for your character. The only thing I ever really dislike about them is in 3d games when large, set amounts of them are hidden. The flags in the first Assassin's Creed for example.

I'd say I enjoy the exploration the most as well as not being stuck on a linear path. I really like having the option to do have more than one way to get through a mission too and sidequests are always fun as well. I've played fun linear games before (the Sonic Adventure series comes to mind), but I have to say I prefer more open games even if they aren't necessarily freeroam.

Its not the most important thing, but can make or break a game depending on its execution. I have to say I certainly prefer when games do have a lot of nice music, but I can live without it.

The story isn't the most important thing in the game as long as the game is good. Many games have managed to be very good without a story. Stories are definitely nice to have, but the gameplay should NEVER take backseat to them. Its also best that if there is a story that it isn't completely terrible. I much prefer a short, simple story to a lengthy and poorly done story.
I have no real preference to full screen games over windowed games, although full-screen is much easier to see for the most part.

1) Adventure games should have massive exploration areas, but it shouldn't be repetitive and it shouldn't always be necessary. I like it when games allow the open-world aspect, but it isn't an extremely integral part of it.

2) The more items there are to collect, the more likely it becomes to scope out goals and spend more time to earn the items you are after.

3) Adventure games are great for the replay value. There's always something missing that you will have to strive for that isn't part of the regular game, and it becomes worth it to play the game through multiple times.

4) Music sets the mood, and to me it's one of those things where I don't notice it's not there unless it's not there at all. Or if it's terrible. A good piece of music, however, really sets the mood of the level you're in.

5) Story is a must, and I'm tired of playing games that don't have a story at all. Sure, it sometimes works without a story, but I definitely don't want a game that has a bad storyline. Plus, a game as a whole becomes more memorable if it has an excellent storyline behind it.
Pages: 1 2