The VG Resource

Full Version: Midi's OC Sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: mtsWIP.png]
Here's some sprites of Midi I did in Tales of the World / Phantom Brave style. More to come later with this. Obviously I'm not gonna submit this because I don't think TSR takes OC sprites, but I wanted to show it.

Do not use without credit and permission!

UPDATE 1

[Image: midiOutlineTest.png]

OK, here's some different methods I tried. The middle is the original. Above is outlined to break the fur blending between his arms and tail. Below the tail is given a darker color to increase contrast. Which looks better? I also smoothed the pants a bit in the new images.

[Image: midiDisgaeaToMLSS.png]

Here's just a little thing I wanted to try to see how Midi would look in MLSS style. It shows a transition of changes from Disgaea style to MLSS and has Mario next to him for size referrence.

UPDATE 2

[Image: midiMLSSavi.gif][Image: midiFallTest.gif]

Here's a couple animation tests of the M&L style. I'm quitting the ToW/Disgaea style because I don't think it really fits Midi's character anyway. He's supposed to be cute and stuff, and that one just doesn't feel right to me, so I'm sticking with the cel-shaded look.

[Image: midiMLSSwip1.png]

And here's a more worked-up sheet. I know the animation for the death sequence isn't that great. It's just a rough draft. I'll smooth it out and then add some diagonal poses too.

UPDATE 3

[Image: midiMLSSwip2.png]

Yeah, here's a new death animation and a knocked down animation, and a few other things.
the tail is a similar color to his hands so it kind of blends in some animations

you've mirrored/copied some of the limbs in some animations, and it doesn't look that good.

also his pants are too 'gritty', clean it up
Some parts are missing the green hat
The pants are supposed to be wrinkly, and the reason for the mirroring and missing hat are that the hat is only on the right side of his head, and I made the sprite asymmetrical so the hat doesn't flip to the other side of his head when facing in the opposite direction.
yes but this is a small sprite

wrinles in such a small sprite don't work that well, just tone it down and you should be ok
Yeah, like in the jumping areas, it looks like he just ripped them
The thing is, Midi's pants are very oversized, and that's why the wrinkles are so visible. The original ones he got from his brother were too big for him, but after he burned them when he discovered his bomb powers, he used a thread bomb to make new pants and kept them just the same because it was comfortable.
Well, at least try to make them match most of the colors that surrond the pants, and if the case is to make them look long, well, this might sound dumb but, try using a real reference, you know, how about you use pants thta are big, and see the real things that those wrinkles look like, that might help, I use real references all the time.
have you actually see this in motion(animated it) to see how it works? judging by your avatar its suffering from a severe case of smoothness. the kind of problem that happens when you dont actually check the flow of each frame.
Actually Metaru, from what I've seen of TotW idle stances, that's actually pretty appropriate. It seems choppy as an individual sprite, but I'm pretty sure that's just how the style works. I think you may be right on some of the other poses though.

And yeah, especially on such a small sprite, tone down the wrinkles. They're not pronounced enough that they should be so dark on the sprite. Alcala is totally and completely right about using a real reference. Also, wearing REALLY baggy pants is definitely not ideal for combat.
The other issue I have here is that the tail doesn't look right. It seems blocky, the shading isn't all that smooth, and it doesn't even read as a tail sometimes. A lot of the time it looks like it's coming from his back.It also blends really badly into the arms.

Pretty good though, and pretty consistent throughout the sheet. You have the hat on the left side of the head also in one of the lower rows, probably a simple thing to fix.
Somethings in the animation (avatar) dont really match fro mtheir previous frame, wich makes it harder to see how the entire sprite sheet would look like
yes but i'm also asuming this is for the platformer he's showing in the game development forum.
Wow, you're OC is so unique!
Yeah, so he just basically used the same type of colors, and maybe a bit of the ToTW style, but not entirely.
OK, added some new sprites. I put up a small sheet to show some methods I tried to break the arm/tail blending, and a little sample of what Midi would look like in MLSS style. Whatcha think?
Pages: 1 2