The VG Resource

Full Version: Review: Star Ocean: The Last Hope International
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: starocean.JPG]

Star Ocean: The Last Hope" is the latest chapter of one of the franchises more traditional RPG from Square-Enix in Japan under the brand is so great in the east that Microsoft fought for the exclusivity (even if temporary) title in an attempt to make the Xbox 360 more popular in land factory.

After almost a year, the game migrate to the Playstation 3 in a version that brings a few changes. Although this is a typical Japanese RPG without a lot of daring, which may discourage those who have tired of the formulas contained. The fans, however, will find many qualities and surprises in the ambitious narrative.

the beginning of everything

[Image: star-ocean-the-last-hope-international-2...5_640w.jpg]

The story of "Star Ocean: The Last Hope" is called the "prequel", ie what is happening even before the very first Star Ocean, "released in 1996 for the Japanese Super NES. Here we witness the unfolding of events that support some basic ideas of the series, such as space travel, and also witnessed the common features of games in the franchise, as the creation of items and real-time battles - elements also seen in the saga "Tales" at Namco, not by chance was created from a split in the original team.

The route passes rapidly through events that lead to the 3rd World War, forcing humanity to seek shelter in space, in the year 2087. Rest then, standing in the adventure heroes, Edge and Reimi, people coming in head first official mission to prospect for habitable planets. Like any good RPG style, players are friendly and naive to have a hard time and gradually become deeper and magnetic - even though the design to commit excesses view them as plush anime figures, the annoying dub English version of the Xbox 360 can now be replaced by the original Japanese, and more appropriate.

Of course, play important roles, tragedies and upheavals await the player throughout the adventure, while maintaining attention. The beginning, as other examples of the genre, is not the most exciting and need some patience to get into the rhythm of events. Within hours, however, it is possible to let it absorb the grandeur of the usual facts, even with some exaggerations and improbabilities.

In Real time

[Image: star-ocean-the-last-hope-international-2...5_640w.jpg]

As I said, "Star Ocean: The Last Hope" has real-time combat, like the series "Tales". Here you can see the enemies on the map and avoid the annoying random clashes. You control one character while the computer takes care of others and their attention is divided by many variables, such as normal hits, elusive, large combos and special. There are also some unique features such as the blindside attack - counterattack stylish with the right to slow - and a kind of feedback that provides special bonuses after each fight - if the player manages to fill its various requirements, such as using always the same stroke, for example.

Of course I could not miss an experience system, which ensures the evolution of their group and individual characters. It is possible to develop new techniques, increase your attributes by a system of fighting styles called BEAT, and also create items, weapons and accessories.

[Image: star-ocean-the-last-hope-international-2...0_640w.jpg]

This last feature is very strong in number and asks players to collect the various materials to meet the revenue, which benefit from here called Recipe Creation Conference - where the characters meet to discuss such formulas, with results varying according to characteristics.
Like any game Square-Enix, Star Ocean: The Last Hope "always tries to fill the eyes of the player with long video sequences, events great and vibrant visuals. The Blu-ray support, since there is no need to stop to swap disk.

The whimsical production, which features detailed graphics and colorful, but that does not put anything new to the table. It seems that lacked inspiration, especially in the design too much, a little childish that even the most tense moments of the game and calls for common archetypes in the genre - one player less visually attentive might confuse heroes with those of any other competitor launched in recent years.

Overral, this game will pleases fans of rpg and general gamers.

would you get this game?
(03-03-2010, 07:03 AM)drakion Wrote: [ -> ]in an attempt to make the Xbox 360 more popular in land factory.

what?

and then you end the review by negating the point of a review "would you get this game?"

you're supposed to decide for us
I care about your opinions.

Please review madden next i need to know if i would get this game.
(03-03-2010, 07:12 AM)Rags Wrote: [ -> ]I care about your opinions.

Please review madden next i need to know if i would get this game.

alright i will post soon
I got this game off of Sony to review.
I've not done it yet because I walked out of the ship on the first point of being able to do a mission and scout the area, and am now pretty much totally stuck because there's no help for you to know where and what to do...

And the story progression is intensely slow, with cutscenes lasting 20 minutes when they could last 4 minutes without all of the looking into space crap which isn't actually that fantastically interesting.
Plus, the fact they didn't bother to re-sync the lips is a big disappointment.
(03-03-2010, 07:43 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]Plus, the fact they didn't bother to re-sync the lips is a big disappointment.

it was because of this that i didn't gave a better score,its a serious problem that NEED to be fixed
(03-03-2010, 08:15 AM)drakion Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-03-2010, 07:43 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]Plus, the fact they didn't bother to re-sync the lips is a big disappointment.

it was because of this that i didn't gave a better score,its a serious problem that NEED to be fixed

If you are actually able to play this game, I doubt they plan to fix it. I have a feeling that kind of thing they would do BEFORE they release a game.