The VG Resource

Full Version: Super Mario Land 2: Remake (Huge Update)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12508
^
^
^
^
^
Click

save discussion for there, don't want to bump this thread at all just cleaning up an old post.
Hope you don't get completely shot down here for re-using sprites. (You could've stayed at MFGG, you were getting alot of help there...)

But then again, they'd probably be glad to help. I'll try to post the changes I made to Mario later. (I'm currently viewing this through my WII.)
(03-07-2010, 07:58 AM)Iceman404 Wrote: [ -> ]Hope you don't get completely shot down here for re-using sprites
It's like you THINK you know when people get mad for reusing sprites
when in reality you're completely backasswards about it

>remake
>revamped sprites
feels good man

there's no problems with reusing/remaking sprites if you're updating the game they're from
now, posting edited sprites in SD and claiming they're 100% original is where we have a problem

e: it's not even just on this topic either, you're so backwards with your thoughts on p.much everything on this forum that its just funny to watch
I know your bringing back a well known game for the game boy, but you should do your own sprites for it.
Those last three posts, what just happened?

Anyways, it's starting to look like an actual Mario game, something I wasn't sure could be done with SML games... keep it up, please.
Those trees need a lot of work, but this is a brilliant idea. SML2 is one of my favorite Mario games.
What tools did you use?
Hey.

I think re-using the sprites is an awesome idea, the recolour looks almost nothing like the original imo, using any other sprite would be the worst possible thing I could ever do I already thought about it. Sad

Also yeah, the tree is horrible believe me theirs being about 60 remakes and still have no perfect tree, its harder to remake then it looks.

By the way I'm looking for maximum criticism here, their needs to be a fine line between mimicing/remaking I'd love some feedback on how I should go about doing this, I want this to be well done so people will play this and it will feel at least somewhat official and a proper remake, and uh not like what " sonic rebirth " did to sonic 1 ( lol )

Obviously the engine is in a fucked up alpha stage as it was rushed in like an hour or so, just wanted to throw up a sandbox like engine to try out all the sprites ect, but I'm considering perma turning down his speed just slightly, I wanted to outmatch his speed from the gameboy version but mabye I went too far, but then again I kinda like it.. camera makes it feel like its slippery tho when its not really.
I think the worst part about the tree is the lack of contrast on the green part. (Are those leaves?)

If you notice, everything in the foreground (and even the tree trunk) has an outline that is much darker than the color inside of it. With the greenery of the tree, the outline is darker, but it's harder to make out and blends in with the rest of the color, making it look out of style.
(This is Game Development, not Sprite Discussion)

In the second screenshot Mario's feet are obscured by the block, whereas in the real game it isn't
technically, we're critting an aspect of the game that somewhat detracts from the overall experience

but yes, you're correct
this is actually really cool.

great job!!!
Hmm, interesting, I like the concept of everything, mixed with new colors and a HUD
Not bad
Wow I wasn't expecting some top people here to come say they really like the concept! you have absolutely no idea what kind of effect it has on me to do this right.

as for what people have said so far

Quote:Hmm, interesting, I like the concept of everything, mixed with new colors and a HUD
Not bad

Yeah, it's all about keeping that simpleness with some nice touches !

Quote:this is actually really cool.
great job!!!

i love you

Quote:Hope you don't get completely shot down here for re-using sprites. (You could've stayed at MFGG, you were getting alot of help there...)

But then again, they'd probably be glad to help. I'll try to post the changes I made to Mario later. (I'm currently viewing this through my WII.)

A good majority of people would say that revamping the sprites would be the direct approach, but I'm kind of interested to see how far you'd want that sprite changed, so I'd love a concept of his standing animation if you did work on it Big Grin mabye you had a good idea in mind who knows?

Quote:I know your bringing back a well known game for the game boy, but you should do your own sprites for it.

the first thing that ever poped in my mind was redoing the mario sprites, and theirs just so many different ones I could use but recolouring the sprites does give it that nostalgic hit imo, but I far from disagree with you of course, I'll consider it i guess.

Quote:Anyways, it's starting to look like an actual Mario game, something I wasn't sure could be done with SML games... keep it up, please.

I won't let you down, at the very least a full concept of the game will be done if I remotely give up ( with a fully complete [intro?], title screen, world map [witch will look sexy]. and first level at least.

Quote:In the second screenshot Mario's feet are obscured by the block, whereas in the real game it isn't

I can't believe I missed that.

Haven't had time to work on this the last week but I shall soon.
Make the trees more detailed because some stuff is intricate than others.
Pages: 1 2