The VG Resource

Full Version: AN EXPERIMENT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: patternexp.png]
Yeah, here it is, it's just a start, I'm thinking of distorting patterns, layering them, finding new ones. Just posting to get some feedback, thanks in advance!
Looks really cool, like one of those Flipbook Hatena drawings
This is a pretty good job so far.

do keep up with the work, I am actually interested in seeing how this will turn out.
you should think about turning this into something cool like a pokemon trainer or something
This is looking cool, the only problem is that the patterns you're using are very similar, tonally. If you squint your eyes a bit, they look near enough the same. Vary them more, basically.

I'm not sure how you're actually putting this together so I'm not sure what to tell you to do. You could try laying down solid blocks of grey and getting a good tonal range, and then applying patterns that "match" each shade of grey.

Hopefully you understand what I'm saying because I'm worried I'm talking bollocks. Very Sad
Id say maybe trying using different colors but just the primaries. (Red, blue, yellow), and maybe using the, in the patterns to make those and hte secondary colors. (Orange, Green, purple, etc)

I think that you could make pretty cool pictures with this.
(03-03-2010, 09:22 AM)nicktheslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Id say maybe trying using different colors but just the primaries. (Red, blue, yellow), and maybe using the, in the patterns to make those and hte secondary colors. (Orange, Green, purple, etc)

I think that you could make pretty cool pictures with this.

see exactly what i was talking about
Also, are you planning on doing this just for pixelated pixel art?

I would try making this same pic, but with smooth, thick outlines. I think it would have the same look as in cartoons, where the texture stays put on the screen, even though the character is moving. Try watching the cartoon Chowder, (on Cartoon Network), or look up the old Gerald McBoingBoing cartoons, (they used this style too, i believe)
for once nick and i agree that you should completely discard what you are doing and instead mimic what one can see on cartoon network.
oh yes, I love static patterns on a moving character. I've done a few pictures in the style but never sprite art.

the patterns remind me of ye olde Mac computers...those were the days. I like how you've matched the pattern with what surface it's on (like the plaid-ish one for the shirt).
(03-03-2010, 06:20 AM)Epistaxis Wrote: [ -> ]This is looking cool, the only problem is that the patterns you're using are very similar, tonally. If you squint your eyes a bit, they look near enough the same. Vary them more, basically.

I'm not sure how you're actually putting this together so I'm not sure what to tell you to do. You could try laying down solid blocks of grey and getting a good tonal range, and then applying patterns that "match" each shade of grey.

Hopefully you understand what I'm saying because I'm worried I'm talking bollocks. Very Sad
Yes, I do see what you mean and I was aware of it (but just in a hurry to post my work!!), and it is an issue in readability to a certain extent: but I'm wondering if pattern isn't more important than tonal variances in this case. Maybe the variety of the piece relies more on the different patterns than the different tones; I'll give it a shot, this is an experiment after all. I think I can sort this out with new patterns, maybe upscaling some patterns (like the "jean" pattern)? What I did was draw some quick line art, upscale the piece fourfold, and create some patterns and applying them to various areas to the piece. Does that answer your question, or are you looking more for the result I want to get to? What do you think about letting the patterns bleed out of their outlines, like in watercolour pieces or old ads or comics?
I'm also wondering if introducing RGB could make it look better.
Oh nick, I actually started this with little textured sketches, this is basically a pixellated transition.
Feel free to post pattern pics, it might be included in my work (read as I'm too lazy to look for some)!
Thanks for the feedback, I'll post very soon!
I wouldn't suggest having the patterns bleed out of the outlines unless you change it up so it's not all black and white. Otherwise it'd probably read poorly.

But yeah, scaling existing patterns up or down could alter the tone a lot and make it pop more. Keep going! This could turn AWESOME.
Thanks, here's a quick table of my textures, I'll make some more:
[Image: pattern16.png]
Also how about smoothening the outline? Or does the upscaled pixel give it a mise en abîme feel that I should keep?
I'll try and do some research (doodling or looking around) on more patterns like the one on the nose.
why dont you try using non-pattern textures?
Do you mean like patchwork?
I've cleaned up the lineart so I can try again, just thinking about the patterns. (I haven't got much time this weekend, so don't expect anything in the next two days)
Pages: 1 2