The VG Resource

Full Version: GeGeGe no Kitarou: Kiki Ippatsu Youkai Rettou (the GBA game)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ninja icon cuz I'm willing to go at it alone!

Actually I don't think anyone's really interested in this one because the graphics are atrocious. Sure, when I first played it and started ripping I thought it had very nice graphics. However, once I actually started paying attention to the sprites, I noticed two things: 1) They're not organized efficiently (many times a single pixel increases the tile size); 2) Very few frames of animation are used with most enemies (some have just three, sometimes two, or even only one frame for all actions).

Regardless, I am a GeGeGe no Kitarou fan and intend to rip all the graphics from this fun game (yeah, I actually think it is fun). If you are a Kitarou fan and want to help, or have already started yourself, get in touch with me, as I'm already quite far along. Being unemployed (although not according to DSHS.....) and not all that eager to go looking for a better job, I've had plenty of time in the last few days to work on this ripping project.

Here is a list of what I have done so far, to be uploaded not necessarily in its entirety, but still in a huge bundle when I finally upload something.
Note: Bolded items are complete to my knowledge. Italicized items are on hiatus until I finish playing the game (only in Kantou right now) but may be complete already. Regular items are certainly WIP.

Chugoku Region boss and enemies
Shikoku Region boss and enemies
Kyushu-Okinawa Region boss and enemies
Hokkaido Region bosses (all 4) and enemies
Tohoku Region boss and enemies
Kantou Region boss and enemies
Kinki Region bosses and enemies
Chubu Region (?) enemies (Nurarihyon's stage)
Nurarihyon
Jakotsu Onna (talk about lazy sprite working, neither she nor Nurari had death animations)
Kitarou (very tedious WIP)
Nezumi Otoko
Medama Oyaji
Baby Kitarou
Neko Musume
Ittan Momen
Sunakake Baba
Nurikabe
Konaki Jijii
Game Intro and Splash screens
Cutscene Backgrounds
Stage Introductions (I decided to keep this separate)
NPC Portraits
Sealed Yokai (the guys trapped in rocks)
All Items (includes the sparkly pots)
Japan Map[b] (region highlights are included with enemies, though)
Miscellaneous FX (explosions, terrain FX, etc. to avoid repeats)
Status Menu (trying to find "Sleep" status ailment still)

Yet To Be Started:
Stage Maps (with individual layers and animations separated)
anything else i can't think of right now

(I keep enemies in italics until i've played through a stage 3 times and can be certain I got everything. Akashita, the Tohoku boss for example, was filed as complete, but then i found two frames I had missed the first three times around.)

Major Update Notice 2/26/2010
Japan map is now finished.
Nezumi Otoko is finished.
Kantou and Kinki regions completed.
Nurarihyon is currently in progress but his stage enemies are done.
All sealed youkai accounted for.
Most items found, I think.
Chapter Intros are nearly complete.
NPC Portraits close to completion.
Status menu is nearly complete (one ailment I haven't found yet).
Item Shop ripped (easy) but haven't decided which file to include it in.

All-in-all, I'll have close to 40 individual sprite sheets for upload hopefully by this Monday. Thank my useless employer for all this time I could spend staring at pixels.

Minor Update 2/27/2010
Finished ripping Nurarihyon and Jakotsu Baba. These two were a pain to rip, although not nearly as much trouble as Kitaro's Youkai Reactor attack or the shattering item pots. Still, I had to use various methods to extract sprites. A little luck helped, too -- I had made four AVI recordings of the battle, and in the fourth one I got lucky and snagged a ton of easy sprite rips that I was having trouble capturing in the OAM and tile viewers. It took me at least five hours to rip this one battle alone. Jakotsu Baba was pissing me off. Everytime I'd get Nurari in the screen, she'd hit me and knock me out of view! At least she was easy to rip.
Found another item, so yeah. Dunno if there are others, though I'm sure there are. I only have 100% of the map on one stage, so I don't know what all I'm missing. If anyone has a guide for getting 100% on every stage, please let me know.
I should have Jigoku's enemies and bosses ripped by tonight, which means I can spend Sunday doing other nothings or cleaning up my sprite sheets (which I've been doing every day for the last three days to make them a little more compact yet neatly organized).
I got lucky. Found some codes online so I could get all the item sprites (and their proper colors) I needed. Neglect the post above now. I've submitted 44 sheets which included all of the above and then some, such as the Youkai Encyclopedia.

I also separated the cutscenes into two files -- one for scenic backdrops and one for scenes that include characters from the game. I figured maybe someone might only want the normal backdrops for a non-GeGeGe game, so it would be nice of me to take out the scenes they wouldn't want in such a case. So, instead of a 2meg file, I upped two 1meg files. Cute

All that's left as far as I can tell is to rip the stages themselves now, and that should pretty much be the whole game (I left out some Japanese stuff because I doubt anyone wants them and I'm sure a lot of what I ripped already will never be used or considered by anyone ever).

But for now, it's off to bed.