The VG Resource

Full Version: So I played the Heavy Rain demo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got into a brawl in a hooker's apartment, and my palms were sweating, my breathing was heavy, and my heart was pounding its way up into my throat, and if there weren't people sleeping nearby, I would have yelped in joy when I won.

Next up, I put on my future shades and followed a killer's tracks, collecting evidence that the police missed, but my own little FBI agent I was puppeteering (who looks a little more like Keanu Reeves than I'm really comforable with) had some jitters, so I made him grab some coffee, as opposed to the little blue phial he probably wanted more (zydrate comes in a little glass phial, a little glass phial, a little glass phial...). He didn't get jittery any more after that.

Yep, there's quick-time events here, but I don't mind them as much as I thought I would. The camera angles are a bit wonky at times, during my FBI investigation I didn't actually notice the killer's trail until I was on my way to leave the area. Walking is also a little bizarre, as you hold down R2 and use the left thumbstick to orient yourself. The orientation is relative to the camera, though (move the thumbstick left, you'll walk left, move it forward, you'll walk forward), so it took me a while to stop trying to use Resident Evil-style tank movement.

In short, I'm in. Seems like a genuinely interesting break from the usual stuff I play, and the story, if it doesn't go all Indigo Prophecy and turn retarded and bullshit supernatural in the second half, will probably be pretty damn good.
hum interesting, i might check it out
I have been excited for Heavy Rain for a while!

I really liked Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit and this is something of a spiritual sequel, so yeah. Excite.

I really liked where Fahrenheit was going at first, but yeah, the ending was A Dick Move. An element of the supernatural is fine but it swung way, way too far and ended up getting increasingly dorky as the game went on.

Some of the controls in Heavy Rain are a bit awkward (the holding buttons thing got annoying, like when you had to climb that slope at the crime scene? Grah) but I think I'll get used to them. I really like how the instructions for the quick time events actually appear as part of the scene rather than floating about at the bottom or just dominating the middle of the screen like in a lot of games~

I'm sure there'll be a slew of HRR I DON'T WANT TO WATCH A GAME comments but that's because people is dicks.
I really wanted to like Indigo Prophecy, but the controls were too awkward for me. Coupled with the Resi-style camera, I ended up running around in unintentional circles, and opening and shutting doors and cabinets over and over. =|
I'm not so thrilled about Heavy Rain. The controls feel wonky, especially the motion control parts, and the acting is sub-par.