The VG Resource

Full Version: Vipershark's Simple Shmup Engine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Vipershark's Simple Shmup Engine

Name of Engine - Vipershark's Simple Shmup Engine (or VSSE for short. Smile)

Made In - Game Maker 7 Pro (but intended for Lite users.)

Contributors - Me. Smile

Date of Completion - The engine isn't complete, but version 1.0's release date is Feburary 11th, 2010.

Description - This is a little project I've been working on. I'm creating a really simple vertical shmup engine, using mostly D&D and GM-Lite features. It's mostly intended for beginners to use.

Features:
As of v 1.0:
--Player movement. (Simple left-to-right)
--Player attacks. (Shoot using the space bar. There is an incomplete auto-fire feature that is activated using the Z key. After a certain amount of time, auto-fire will turn off. Soon after, it turns back on by itself. I intend to have this fixed by next release. There is also a "Tri-Fire" attack which is activated by the X key, and while it works, it requires a few tweaks to get it how I want so it isn't yet complete. I expect to have this fixed by next release.)
--Player health. (I currently have it set so each enemy attack does 10 damage to show that the health bar works. I plan to reduce the amount of damage per attack in the future.)
--Player death and respawning. (When player health runs out, you die and respawn. There is currently no lives system set up, and dying has no real effect on the game so far.)
--Enemies. (There is only one enemy type so far, and it's a simple back-and-forth "Space Invaders" type enemy. I plan to have at least one more enemy type created by the next major release.)
--Enemy movement.
--Enemy attacks. (Currently, enemies are have semi-random firing behavior. This isn't totally complete though, so i'll need to work on it.)
--Enemy death.
--Some sounds.

What I plan to have in by next (major) release:
--Current bugs and programming errors fixed. (At some point in the development process I plan to go back and completely overhaul the engine, and fix any errors that I may have made. This engine may not be next release, but it's definitely coming.)
--At least one more enemy type.
--Working power-up system. (Justifies the auto-fire and Tri-Fire attacks. Smile)
--Possible shop system, similar to the Phoenix games for the TI-83. I'm unsure if I'll actually include this, but it's a possibility.
--One more attack type.
--May change screen resolution and make the game window wider.

Screenshots:
[Image: screenshot1.png]
The title screen.
[Image: screenshot2-1.png]
Gameplay.
(Note that at the moment, all graphics are temporary placeholders and are only in effect to show that the engine is working.)

File Size - 1.62 MB

Included - The two screenshots posted above, as well as the source gmk and compiled exe file.

Any Known Bugs? - The only bug that I'm currently aware of is that for some reason, certain enemies stop shooting at you after you die. This appears to happen randomly, and I'll have to look into it. Other than that, there are no real bugs per se, but there are some incomplete features that I'm completely aware of, such as the auto-fire turning back on after a certain amount of time. While it's not supposed to happen, I don't count it as a bug since the feature isn't completed yet.

Download Vipershark'sSimpleShmupEnginev 1.0.zip
(Scanned with Avast! Antivirus and virus free.)
VIPER THIS IS THE GAME OF THE YEAR!!!! ITS LIKE THE FLASH MX 2004 DEMO ENGINE
(02-11-2010, 08:39 PM)sleepy Wrote: [ -> ]VIPER THIS IS THE GAME OF THE YEAR!!!! ITS LIKE THE FLASH MX 2004 DEMO ENGINE
it's a beta SHMUP engine, nothing wrong with that. its intention is to be used as a stepping stone for other people, not to be its own standalone game.