The VG Resource

Full Version: WIP tileset for a fangame.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
A friend and I are making a Mario fangame. He is the programer (though we are going to use Hello engine, but we have planed to add and modiify a lot of thing) and I'm the spriter. right now, I'm still making the tilesets. I think they came out very good, but some C+C is always welcome!
[Image: tile.png]
As you can see, they are based on the NSMBWii ones. The multicolored question and brick blocks are for a game idea. As we are going to use all eight Bowser's childrens, with they appearing as bosses in the eight first world's castles (actually we want eleven worlds, three of them being secrets), in each one castle, the blocks will have a different color regarding the Koopaling (pink for Wendy, red for Jr., etc.).
not planing to sound like a dick, but, isnt that an already over used idea?
(02-08-2010, 03:26 PM)Francisco Cifuentes Wrote: [ -> ]not planing to sound like a dick, but, isnt that an already over used idea?

You mean the colored blocks? I never saw it in any game.
the whole "eigth worlds with eight koopalings" etc gameplay...
My biggest gripe would probably be the pipes. The shading and palette doesn't really match their metallic nature; it should stand out more, be shinier, more saturated - maybe a bit more hue-shift. I'd also recommend making the head stand out more in comparison to the shaft - the shaft is a bit thick, after all.

I like the cave tiles. everything else is pretty okay.

actually, in general a bit more saturation and contrast and hue-shift might help to flesh out the mood.
(02-08-2010, 04:12 PM)Gizmonicgamer Wrote: [ -> ]My biggest gripe would probably be the pipes. The shading and palette doesn't really match their metallic nature; it should stand out more, be shinier, more saturated - maybe a bit more hue-shift. I'd also recommend making the head stand out more in comparison to the shaft - the shaft is a bit thick, after all.

I like the cave tiles. everything else is pretty okay.

actually, in general a bit more saturation and contrast and hue-shift might help to flesh out the mood.

Thanks, I will try something with the pipes later, but more hints or an example should be awesome. And about saturation, I don't like to saturate these too much, is part of the style.

Oh, and Francisco, is Mario game, so... Koopalings rock!
ah, yeah, sure; sorry for the wait, I missed this thread

[Image: newpipe.png]
something like this maybe? a little rough, but it still gets the point across
(02-11-2010, 04:31 AM)Gizmonicgamer Wrote: [ -> ]ah, yeah, sure; sorry for the wait, I missed this thread

[Image: newpipe.png]
something like this maybe? a little rough, but it still gets the point across

Mmm... I get what you're sayin, but I still think my pipes looks good. I've seen others pipes with this shading style. Actually, the SMW ones.
the issue is that your pipes look soft and mushy as opposed to metallic, there's nothing there to really make them stand-out (and seeing as pipes are a staple (something you can usually interact with) making them 'stand-out' is generally a good idea).

most of the pipes definitely do need to be contrasted more, though (and this could help with the above); the green, yellow and red ones namely. and they could all benefit from some hue-shift. (like how in my pipe, it goes from blue to green to yellow)

tl;dr: there's a reason the pipes in are shaded like that in nearly all the mario games
Ok, I will try something and post it later.
And the green, red and yellow ones palletes are from the original textures of the NSMBWii ones, so I think their saturation is right.
(02-08-2010, 03:26 PM)Francisco Cifuentes Wrote: [ -> ]not planing to sound like a dick, but, isnt that an already over used idea?

...and the reason its overused is because it still lasts over time. If its not broke, dont fix it. Im looking forward to this game and I like the tileset that you made, dont change it, it has its own style, familiar but different.

The only thing im not so sure about is that your using the Hello engine. My only concern is that you dont change the engine enough and it seems too generic. But it looks like you plan on changing it a bunch so ill trust your judgement. Cant wait to see how it turns out, good luck.
(02-11-2010, 05:00 PM)A_Penn Wrote: [ -> ]

...and the reason its overused is because it still lasts over time. If its not broke, dont fix it. Im looking forward to this game and I like the tileset that you made, dont change it, it has its own style, familiar but different.

The only thing im not so sure about is that your using the Hello engine. My only concern is that you dont change the engine enough and it seems too generic. But it looks like you plan on changing it a bunch so ill trust your judgement. Cant wait to see how it turns out, good luck.

Don't worry about that, we are going to use Hello's engine as base because my friend is new at programming, to make things easier to him. However, I have planned to change a lots of things, like adding new moves (ground pound and wall jump mainly), adding new power-ups (like the propeller mushroom or the penguin suit), adit some of the current power-ups (ice flower and blue shell, mainly because they don' act like in the games) and new enemies and bosses.

Also, some edits on the pipes:
[Image: pipe.png]
The shade now make it looks a lot better, and I made the lightest shade a little more lighter, to create more contrast (mainly on the yellow one).
Update!
Yeah, a long time since the last one.
Looks great! The cave tiles look the best out of all of them.
Give the pirahna plants more detail. They should be mottled, speckled or spotted. They're too bland, in my opinion. But the rest of the tiles look good for a Mario game. Mario's been getting mushier and mushier lately, anyway.
Pages: 1 2 3