The VG Resource

Full Version: Ok, Official area for my stuff.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: mc9o28.png]
Finally going outside of my comfort zone and trying new things, hope you all like, and I'd be glad to have C+C!
by the way the zipper on his shirt is going, it looks like he's in a weird twisted S pose. His arms on the second image look kinda like he's girly, and his elbows are hyper extended.
He also looks like he's "sagging", the crotch is way too low or something, his legs just looks weird or too short for his body.
edit: wait hold on, his arms and legs are way too short for his body; that's basically the problem.
the legs don't make sense with the body.
alright? I can fix it I guess.
also Cyhuntastic, your arms are really only supposed to go down to your thigh, otherwhised they are freakishly long. but I guess the leg problem will be fixed. thanks for the input guys!
I don't know about you, but when standing straight my arms reach to within an inch and a half of my knees. From forearm to elbow should reach to the hips.
Also, his arms are strangely thin, his hat is remarkably large, and I recommend you do a bit of research on how fabric folds. Yours doesn't fold BAD, but it doesn't look very REAL. The way you have it shaded also makes the leg outlines look pretty jaggy.
You outlined SOMETHING in purple across the chest, but the purple doesn't read well against the gray. You'll either need new purples, new grays, or a really dark purple outline. I would advise you trash the purple on the chest altogether, but hey, your design.
After hypershading all of the clothes, the hat is disturbingly plain. And if MY hat extended that far over my head, it would most certainly have folds too.
Did you know you could consolidate your colors a bit? That gray-ish color on the pants can replace the dark gray on the jacket with no consequence. You can buy another, darker purple if you're counting colors.
Black outlines everywhere but the hat? Consistency, man. Either colored outlines all over, or black outlines all over.
The bottom outline of the hat brim is definitely misshapen.
If you want a diagonal sword, don't make a vertical one and rotate. You can see some of the errors in the sword's shading now, and at the end there's a bulge that shouldn't be there.
Why is there a blue dot on his chin?

It's not a bad sprite, it's actually pretty passable, but it has some errors still.
The pants are wrong in terms of shading and shape. You can suggest the knee with a highlight, and leave the rest a shade lower, don't try and complicate things at such a low resolution. The feet look a bit short and I'm not happy with the shading on his beanie, it conveys its volume quite badly. Stick a consistent lightsource, some places it's pillowed, and in others it's from the side: make your mind up. Hope to see progress soon!
ok, my biggest problem is shading, I'll fix it soon! how would you suggest I add more volume to my beanie?

EDIT: Alright, I tried reshading, fixed the zipper( I think), and tried remaking the legs. also, whoever asked what the blue dot was, thats supposed to be a Piercing, sorry I didn't answer back. Also, I didn't rotate the sword, remade it from scratch, took a little bit, but I'll give it another shot tomorrow, I'm tired and I have a Ap Psych Quiz tomorrow...ugh.
[Image: 2zdx2bq.png]
Huh. Sorry about the rotating thing, but the bulge at the end is very reminiscent of a rotation, and with the vertical one there too, I made an assumption. I can understand it if its a piercing, but it definitely doesn't come off very easily. It blends with the skin tone a bit, and because it isn't a standard piercing location it comes off as a mistake. Maybe it could contrast a little better if you used the darker blue from the pants.
The pants are infinitely better though, zipper is right on now. On the pants, you can use the knee highlight color on a couple of other spots on the pants as well, as it looks a little extreme to confine it ONLY to the knees. Hat is getting there, but I'm not the right person for this. I recommend you actually get a hold of one of those hats, or at least ask someone who wears one. Still, black outline it.
Shoes look better.
Something about the vest shading is still making it look a little messy. Remember that you don't have to go into shadow as you approach the zipper or the purple thing, as it's not enough to cast a shadow.
You should probably put a bit more shading on the main part of the face.

Well, good luck with this, and your exam tomorrow too!
[Image: rocksoed.png]
Trying to fix anatomy, messing with shading on beanie. Don't forget the light source and remember: you can partially see the human form through clothes, so as long as there isn't a credible structure underneath, there won't be credible clothes. Hope the test went well (you should've slept instead of spriting).
Oh thank you, this will help alot! And I did get plenty of sleep, test went well C: Well I'll gget working on this.
[Image: mc9o28.png]
Update*
Fixed the arms up and attempted a new sword, hope ya'll like WouoW <-- Happy dreads
Sword looks good, no bulge now. I think he could have a couple more pixels on his arm length, but that's a judgement call I think. He COULD use a neck though, it disappeared.

Also, look at Chris2Balls' beanie for a pretty good example of beanie volume.
I think the shading could be a bit darker, especially on the hat and pants. it kinda mushes in with the main color right now and I have to squint to see the shading.
I'll agree on the hat, but I'll disagree on the pants. It'll be a quick fix.
I agree with you there. However, if you want the pants to pop a little more without being too dark, instead of making the darks darker, make the lights lighter.
Pages: 1 2