The VG Resource

Full Version: ssb items
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
i am making ssb item sprites just for fun,if i need to edit the sprites please tell me

[Image: eap20p.png]

this is part one,since there are many more i will make part two and maybe a three if theres still more

note:this is my first attempt at spriting and i'm also new to the forums
Where to start, where to start?

Okay, first off, it's Jpg'd so it won't help anyone.

Secondly, the shape on almost everything needs work. A lot of the things you made hardly look like what you labeled them as.
Shyguy Grey Wrote:Where to start, where to start?

Okay, first off, it's Jpg'd so it won't help anyone.

Secondly, the shape on almost everything needs work. A lot of the things you made hardly look like what you labeled them as.

i can fix the jpg thing(its bitmap file,i just need it as a png for better viewing)
Well, if this is your first attempt at spriting, you deserve some leeway. Here are some beginner's tips:

-Don't use the default MS Paint colors.
-Don't use the Circle Tool to create circles. They just don't come out right; it's easier and more effective to create them manually.
-Use references. This goes for most types of visual art anyway, unless you're purposely trying to avoid using them.
-There's a lot of empty space on that sprite sheet. When assembling sheets, try to have as little empty space on them as possible, compacting the sprites into an overall smaller space.
-When saving your sprites, do not use the file type .jpg or .jpeg. This will make the sprites blurry. Save as .png or .bmp in most cases.

All that said, there are many problems with these sprites. The starman, mushrooms, the opening sprites of the pokeball, the heart container, some of the melee weapons, the koopa shells, and the barrel are all misshappen. The barrel doesn't really look like anything but a brown shape. (This is where using references comes in.) Also, there is absolutely no shading on the sheet.

Those are the most immediate things I notice, but these sprites definitely need to be worked on, or redone completely. You have a long way to go. That's okay, though. No artist gets good without practice.
thanks for giving me some tips dude,i'm editing the sprites right now,i hope they will look better!

one more quistion: does anyone have a picture of the barrel item holder,i'd like to try and make it better by making it look likes its original self
[Image: barrel.jpg]

Hopefully this'll help.
Sol Wrote:[Image: barrel.jpg]

Hopefully this'll help.

thanks a bunch

EDIT:i want to know witch batting item i should work on,i think i need to work on the star rod only,but please give me feedback if i should edit others
That koopa shell animation looks horrid

But as Sol said, you are a beginner.

Try picking out custom palettes and play around with your lineart a bit. Don't leave jaggies or unwanted pixels- try to smooth everything out.

Then go on to shading. Use your custom colors to shade everything picked out from a lightsource- left or right- and shade accordingly. Try to add some contrast and depth into your sprites.

Keep trying! This is what practice is for!
UPDATE:

[Image: 2qicrvb.png]

i hope its better...

edited:
pokeball
koopashell
starman
both mushrooms
metal box
remade:
barrel
star rod

preview of ssb items part 2
[Image: 2lk8v2r.png]
i might need to edit the bomb-omb's explosion
barrel is too tall and not fat enough.
TPoe Wrote:barrel is too tall and not fat enough.

actually thats what i was thinking XD

UPDATE:
is this better?
[Image: 20a8eih.png]

EDIT:i made this custom pallate colors thing just for fun also
[Image: 2ng8z6r.png]
Definately better, but not very amazing. The crate is too large and is flat, give it angles and stuff to make it like a cube. Make the top of the bat as thin as the rest of it, the newer version of the Beam Sword is more pinkish, the Pokéball could use some shading and a better glowing effect, and the Heart Container is...bad. Here, this is how Heart Contianers look:

[Image: Heartcontainer.png]

Otherwise, most things just need shading and an outline.
thnx for your help and the picture

UPDATE:

[Image: e7l0rs.png]
i think the crate,metal box,heart container,and beam sword(both new and old) are superb Tongue
I think it needs to be reiterated: Everything needs shading.
definitely getting better. Now you should know some shading and proportions.

The major problem in your sheet is the pillowshading. See the way you've shaded the objects; they don't have a fixed lightsource (it looks like it's glowing, which isn't alright). You need to learn more about shading; there's some tutorials in the net (and even in spriters-resource.com). Read them and check some official sprites. Sorry if I can't explain it right, the shading technique is a bit tricky, but once you get it, it becomes all easier.

Now the proportions... See your koopa shell sprite. It does rotate, but it somehow gets smaller when facing towards the camera... You need to keep the height constant; It's the same object, isn't it? Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3