The VG Resource

Full Version: Jove draws the things
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello all you lovely people! I am me.

I have a lot of OCs.
[Image: lineupo.png]
this is the lineup so far (bigger version here). I have three characters left to do but my tablet is halfway broke right now so I can't finish them Cry
[Image: christmasm.png]
and since it's so close to Christmas, have a Christmasy pic. the story takes place in the future after a robot apocalypse so I don't even know if they'd have Christmas BUT okay.
In the future - everyone has crazy cyber eyes.

The style and designs are neat; but it does seem that too many characters have weird or robotic eyes. Although that might be justified in-universe, so IDK.
Designs are simple and straight forward, I like that. I agree with Groove abot the robot eyes, but maybe that's how the villians look in your univerese? Which is cool in its own sense. Keep at it!
Cool stuff

I like the swiss army knife guy from your avatar
I think you've got a bit of style-over-substance going on here.

The main problem I'm seeing (apart from some dodgy anatomy) is a lack of weight. They look flat; it kinda seems like the character's limbs only move up and down rather than forwards and backwards in most of the poses. FORESHORTEN SOME SHIT and go for some more dynamic posing.

I'll note that you're making some effort to change the posture depending on the character - this is definitely a step in the right direction, but push yourself more and draw some more active and interesting poses.

(I am a tremendous hypocrite for saying this)

LASTLY.
In the second drawing you've shaded them as though they're an etching or carving rather than 3D figures. Try and think of them as whole forms, and light them accordingly. It might help if you think of them as geometric shapes like a bunch of cylinders and spheres, and try and work out how the light affects these simpler forms before building up to the real body.

Basically: do some lifedrawing and some planar studies. They are boring. But they are very important.

In fact, I give you two challenges:

Draw someone from a different angle. They can still be standing, but move away from the 3/4 view
Draw someone running. Or playing a sport. Make sure to pay attention to the line of action and the positioning of the hips and shoulders.
thanks guys, means a lot.

in-universe, much of the main characters are cyborgs; I see it as a videogame in my head, with both the main heroes and villains being cyborged up. and I do have a bias toward weird eyes, I must admit. there're a lot of minor characters that're completely normal, don't worry. I'm just too lazy to draw them because there's literally a ton.

@ Epistaxis: thanks a bunch! I've never really been critted so in-depthly before. these main refs are supposed to be simple, since they're references...I don't like doing references that are too "action-y" but I am guilty of playing it safe a lot of times.

I like to change my technique with every CG picture I do, but I know what you're saying. my tablet can't do pen pressure right now so I had to go a little too stylistic with that one.

and yeah I really do abuse 3/4ths too much. I do have a pic of one of the characters running but it isn't scanned, but I'll totally take everything of what you said to heart.
sorry for the double post, but I drew some runnin':
[Image: runna.jpg]
could someone redline his front hand or something? I kept changing that and it drove me bonkers and I just gave up Sad
[Image: runx.jpg]

The hand should be viewed on its sideways in this case, I believe. Still, this is a VERY rough sketch, so don't use it. Try to do your own, having my attempt as your ref.

...to tell you thetruth, I don't do this a lot. I should practice doing these kind of stuff, too.
thanks! yeah, I figured it should generally be at that angle, but I just couldn't get it. I have a working tablet now, so I might trace over it and make it shiny one of these days.