The VG Resource

Full Version: Outer Ruins ~requiem~ WIP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: Archsecretgarden4zzzzzzxxxxx.png]

final version (presumably)
[Image: Archsecretgarden6zzsss.png]
I like everything but the columns, maybe add a bit more contrast above the arches.
The arches don't seem that round. It looks a bit jaggy.
Reminds me of Circle of the Moon.

Cool.
I think the columns should be ridged vertically instead of horizontally...feel free to correct me, but I've never seen columns that have horizontal segments like that. otherwise it's pretty kickass.
thanks for the comments everyone; i'm going to work on refining the columns and the archways a little bit, rounding them a bit more and maybe adding a bit more reason to the pacing for the ridges on the columns.

Quote:I think the columns should be ridged vertically instead of horizontally...feel free to correct me, but I've never seen columns that have horizontal segments like that. otherwise it's pretty kickass.
Thanks. I do agree that they look a little odd, but I think that's more due to the placing than the fact that they are horizontal. I've tried to balance it a bit, but I felt that that made it lose character. I also didn't try very hard though, so we'll have to see.
although there have been some horizontally ridged columns in the past
anyway

Slightly updated version~
[Image: archsecretgarden4zzzzzz.png]
[Image: Archsecretgarden5zz.png]
update, decided against the ceiling/wall. finished the main foreground, just have to do the background and decide what im doing with the outline around the pillars.
I... like this.
the bricks in the floor seem too random but otherwise looks fantastic
Less shadow on the sides, but fuck, those bricks.

They just look so misplaced and like they don't belong at all. Make them larger or reshade them smoother into each other, they are way to separated and look like I don't know what but not how bricks should look.

Good work on everything else though.
[Image: Archsecretgarden5zzzzzx.png]

[Image: Archsecretgarden6zz.png]
I am not particularly sure I like how the BG is coming out~!
Pretty sure using slightly darker colours on the BG wall would help, but good use of red tones for the foreground and blue tones for the background. But yeah, the lack of light in the foreground really makes it seems like you need a darker BG. I also don't know what those doorways are leading too because it could be steps going up and out but at the same time the ground doesn't look like anything in particular, and is shaded too high to be a stone walkway.

Again, the bricks are not correct. Make them bigger and have less contrast, look at picture of old structures.
The bricks were designed in regards to the context of the character, and the scale of the image. They are small because generally speaking bricks usually are not massively large - even in "ancient" contexts, they are anywhere from the size of your hand to maybe 1/4th of your leg or so. Usually.
The differing contrasts and coloring is both a result of the lighting (which there is going to be a lighting effect like sun rays etc behind the pillars and in front of the background) and the bricks being made out of different materials (hence the black things are also, in most instances, bricks).

Yes, the placement is relatively "random" and there are bricks of differing sizes. Which can happen.
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/8372672...5899785A1C
http://images.travelpod.com/users/kitkat...-ruins.jpg
They also act primary as seperation between the floor and earth, and the earth is prone to disheveling things over time.

Quote:I also don't know what those doorways are leading too because it could be steps going up and out but at the same time the ground doesn't look like anything in particular, and is shaded too high to be a stone walkway.
It's basically an inset stone walkway/corridor; the steps allowing traffic between the walkway, "courtyard" and probably the other walkway as seen in the background.

I also forgot to mention that I'm planning on having some lighting effects applied in game, some sun-rays behind the pillars and maybe just a layer of basic light as well (that would diminish over time implying eyes getting used to it). That's partially why the two kind of clash slightly.

Not to try and ignore or push aside your critique, just trying to add some context I suppose to ensure the critique is entirely relevant which I am not 100% positive of at the moment.

Thanks for your critique and comments, regardless~!
Bricks are to be random, yes, but yours are TOO random with both too smooth of shaping, your examples show non-shiny bricks with similar colours put near each other to give a feeling of a design or don't differ that much.
Err, what? The only thing I could really get out of that was that the bricks are apparently "too random" (which was at least partially the point) and something about smooth and shiny.

also updated the image with a version that has a little more contrast
Pages: 1 2