The VG Resource

Full Version: the jungle is frozen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
the jungle is frozen

[Image: frozenjungle.png]

I made this for school it was due last week, just finished now uggh (also just started it an hour ago but still)

It's supposed to be a rough background for Disney's Tarzan, with our own twist. There was also supposed to be a focus on tones.

My premise is that he finds a time machine and launches himself into the future, but the jungle is frozen in an ice age or something I guess.
Wow.

The detail on that is astounding. Great job! :]
The left part looks better than the right, mainly because of the scribble-ness.
It's obvious you worked left to right. Tongue

Good job on what was polished.
I thought that the scribbled parts were kinda supposed to make it look like it was at a distance, whereas the well-detailed parts were supposed to be up close.

Then again, it's possible I just completely misunderstood what you said.
You need to vary tone some more, I think. At the moment it's looking too white.

I mean, duh, it's snowy, but check out when it actually snows; there's far more visible greys and even some blacks. It's kinda on the pale end of things atm and it makes it look kind of unfinished.

Nice atmospheric perspective with the tree though; definitely keep the further stuff paler.
I know what you mean. If I'd had a little more time, I might have tried to fine-tune it some more and really emphasize those tones, but I kind of rushed it. I have too short an attention span to focus on one drawing for too long.

Obviously not going to go back and fix it, since I'm sick of looking at it, and I've already handed it in, but I'll keep it in mind for next time.

Mind you, it was supposed to be rough, so actually the whole picture should have been kind of scribbly, I just felt like adding more detail in some parts, experimenting with the icicles and stuff.
WELL FINE.

(Just keep it in mind, though)

I quote someone far more knowledgable:
"You may find as you work up the contrast between sunlit, diffuse and dark areas of the image, a good tonal balance is difficult to achieve. As a guideline, try keeping the balance of roughly 60 percent of one, 25 percent of another, and 15 percent of another [...] you can mix and match these values as you wish."

Obviously don't stick to that religiously, but it works as a fairly good gauge, even if you're aiming to make something particularly dark or particularly bright.

I totally understand not wanting to rework it, though. Some people rework drawings and get awesome results, some people (yours truly!) can't often bring themselves to redo something that wasn't working how you wanted in the first place.
This is awesome. Only issue is how some of it is scribbly but you already said why Tongue