The VG Resource

Full Version: Sax is Backs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright everyone.

For those who know me, sup fellas.

For those who don't, this probably doesn't concern you but I'm willing to have everyone play along.

I'm making a game.

This is for school though.
I'm still undecided if I should use Game Maker or Flash to make the game.

Still yet to think of a plot, I was thinking I go to get some milk, but on my return I get lost or something happens and I end up going through these wacky levels trying to get back home.

Going to feature a tutorial, grass themed level, moon/space level, rave level, computer level and maybe another one or two.

It stars me as I defeat enemy and bosses to collect something. Still yet to decide if I'm going to have it collectan and just side scrollan/shootan.

Also going to be making my own music/score.

So, what is the purpose? The 'need' for this game was to reconnect with the good old Nintendo themed games that basically made me who I am today. And, to possibly make a return onto the scene and see how everyone is going.

So, that's why I'm here.
Now I ask, what should I do if I want to make a game. Side scrolling, enemies, bosses, maybe item collecting.

Game Maker, I don't know if I can be bothered making the sprites for the whole game. And sadly this has to be all my own work.
But i've used it in the past and under the hood side of things seems pretty straight out.

Flash though, I know I can use my graphics tablet and make everything look nice and cartoony. But programming wise, I'm a nub.

So if anyone with past experience can help, go ahead.

(ps if this seems way too formal to be here, see how it goes then i'll make one later in creativity or fan games or something)

Love, Sax.
hi saxy waxy
sup sax.
USE GAME MAKER.
NOT FLASH.
(12-13-2009, 01:56 AM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]USE GAME MAKER.
NOT FLASH.

but i dont wanna sprite ):
hi sax. how are you sax.
i can't believe i expected serious posts from here -.-u
SAX! sax sax saaaaaaaaaax
bumpan
sax is blax
Well, it all depends on how you want the game to look. If you want it to be more like an old NES game, then I'd recommend going with Game Maker. Maybe you could get a few people here to help you out with the sprites? (Unless that wouldn't be allowed since it's for school.)

If you're looking for a more cartoon-styled game, then Flash is definitely the way to go. Since you're not fluent with programming, you could look up some tutorials on Google, or something like that. Maybe see if someone around here who knows about Flash could give you some pointers.

I like the simplistic sound of the plot, though. It seems like it'd be pretty fun. Smile

I'm sorry if this isn't very helpful. I've only toyed around with Game Maker a few times, and I haven't used Flash all that often. I'm more experienced with RMXP than anything else.

Also, hi.
I've heard that making games with flash is much harder.
Use game maker.
Hi Sax. I bet you'll be disappearing again here soon, yeah?

Anyway, really, you should be able to use your Flash graphics in Game Maker, too, y'know.

I don't know much about Flash, but I'm sure Game Maker would work perfectly fine with what you need to do. I do know though, that in the long run, Flash is probably better, but Game Maker is probably easier to start going.
ty guys

im willing to learn actionscript 3.0

even if it means the game goes from a 5 level action side scroller to point and click adventure

plus i have to look at social and ethical issues with both programs i think, and its easier for people to play a flash file either hosted on a website or a .swf on their computer

if i do the whole .exe thing, people are like FUCK IS THAT SHIT SAFE

anyway, im on school holidays now

i will be sketching the entire game over the 6 weeks. regardless of gamemaker or flash or graphics

i guess you can check out the creativity, i might scan or tablet draw some pics for everyone to help along with
(12-14-2009, 12:30 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard that making games with flash is much harder.
Use game maker.

depends on what you make