The VG Resource

Full Version: SSBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yeah it's coming out in England on Friday, I entered a competition as well. Anyway I was wondering, with the characters fighting on Brawl, is it any different from what it was on Melee?
There are differences. Game & Watch got stronger. Jiggly got weaker. Fox got weaker, or so I've heard. Falco kicks his reflector. Mario's down special is no F.L.U.D.D. Wavedashing's out. There's probably some other stuff I forgot.
Unless you're a tournyfag, and played Melee every single day, you probably won't notice the difference.

It's an amazing game if you're in it for the nostalgia and fanservice. Heck, you'll play it almost every day if it's for that. If you want a quality fighting game, Smash Bros isn't it. I call it a party game. Wait for Street Fighter or Soul Calibur comming out later this year. If you're in it for quality online, get a 360. If you're in it for the SSE, apparently no one liked the SSE. If you're in it to see Wolf O'Donnel from Star Fox throw a Mr. Saturn from Earthbound at Diddy Kong from Donkey Kong Country, this is your game.

Smash Bros. Brawl is a game for Nintendo Dweebs. For everyone else, it will collect dust.
A couple things I noticed right when I put it in:
  • There are no shield strength variations.
  • The mid-air dodge changed quite a bit.
  • You can now randomly trip.

And I guess I'm a Nintendo Dweeb. Rolleyes
a bit slower, not as slow as SSB, but a lot slower then Melee, and at first that might mess up some of your first battles, but you catch on pretty fast.
Main differences I can think of

- No L-canceling
- Air dodges go with your momentum and cannot be moved manually, thus no wavedashing. on the small plus side, you can air-dodge repeatedly as opposed to only once
- Pretty much everyone who was top-high tier in Melee got nerfed, and a bunch of low tier Melee characters got beefed (Mr. G&W and Zelda are prime examples)
- People tend to take more damage before dieing now
- Overall pace of the game feels slower
- It is now much easier to grab a ledge, in that you grab on from much farther away. While this is pretty annoying for normal edge grabbing, tether recovering is much easier
- Tripping sometimes occurs when you go to dash
- I might be wrong, but it felt like the camera boundaries were a bit bigger this time around
- On that note, the camera didn't seem as active with zooming as is was in Melee
- You can no longer set items to "Very Low" or "Very High"
- No Red Shell, Flipper, Parasols, Cloaking Devices (invisible mode is availabe in Special Brawl however), or Barrel Cannons
- Screw Attack is now a badge, so you can pick up items and still use it, though it can't be thrown
- Bob-ombs now explode in your hands if held too long (like Link's bombs)
- Max of three Pokeballs can be in game at once time, as opposed to Melee's ammount, which I forget what that was but I know it was much more than three
- Motion-sensor bombs are now bright fusia and cannot be hidden very well
- No bonuses in Classic mode
- Classic is now riddled with gimmick matches (team, multi-man, giant, etc), and you don't encounter the Alloys (new FWF/FPT) in Classic
- No Race to the Finish
- Only five Target Tes stages, no longer character exclusive
- The victory screen is more like SSB64's

EDIT: A few more i remembered:
- Characters now have animations while charging Smashes, instead of being stuck on one frame
- Home-runs bats take forever to charge now
- Hammers seemed a bit stronger (I don't mean Golden Hammers either)
- You can hold A instead of repeatedly pressing it to do your multi-hit standard combo

I personally liked it a bit more than Melee, even though there were a LOT of things I wish didn't change.
Pretty much everything X Gamer said is right. Ark Kurvis is stupid. You don't have to be a Nintendo "dweeb" to enjoy Smash Bros. SSE is amazing. That is all.
Actually I agree with him.

I was the biggest Nintendo fan fucking ever before Brawl came out.

I still only played it for a week or two, and that was with parties with my friends like every chance we got.

I finished the Zoo in SSE and stopped. Boring.

Not a BAD game, but I'm still disapointed with it and Nintendo in general. That and the fact it's still not out here so I can't buy a copy that won't break every 2 days.
Confessor Wrote:Actually I agree with him.

I was the biggest Nintendo fan fucking ever before Brawl came out.

I still only played it for a week or two, and that was with parties with my friends like every chance we got.

I finished the Zoo in SSE and stopped. Boring.

Not a BAD game, but I'm still disapointed with it and Nintendo in general. That and the fact it's still not out here so I can't buy a copy that won't break every 2 days.

SSE is boring single player, but is fun two player.
I know plenty of people who aren't Nintendo nerds but still enjoy Brawl.
Yeah I replayed up until the Zoo again with two different people (one being as big a Nintendo fan as me, the other not so much) and both of them got bored too.
Confessor Wrote:Yeah I replayed up until the Zoo again with two different people (one being as big a Nintendo fan as me, the other not so much) and both of them got bored too.

oh lol.

Well it was fun for me.
Quote:- Pretty much everyone who was top-high tier in Melee got nerfed, and a bunch of low tier Melee characters got beefed (Mr. G&W and Zelda are prime examples)

G&W is great in this game and was also pretty good in Melee too~

Also Kirby seems a lot stronger.
Gizmonicgamer Wrote:
Quote:- Pretty much everyone who was top-high tier in Melee got nerfed, and a bunch of low tier Melee characters got beefed (Mr. G&W and Zelda are prime examples)

G&W is great in this game and was also pretty good in Melee too~

Also Kirby seems a lot stronger.

From my understanding

Kirby was overpowered in the original,
so they nerfed him in Melee, but they nerfed him too much,
so they powered him up in Brawl but not so much that he's overpowered.
Personally I was actually disappointed with the final roster. I wanted Krystal in it alot. Isaac got an Assist Trophy instead and he's useless. They took Roy out. Mewtwo got replaced too. I could care less about Pichu XD

All that aside, I totally adore the game. It's prolli 10x better than Melee (to me). SSE did get boring, but I'm bored alot so boredom got me through it. SSE's story was awesome though.

As for wavedashing, I never used it in Melee. I didn't even know what it was until I heard about it and looked it up. So I could careless that it got dumped.

I'm used to the game now, so if I play Melee ever again, I'll suck.

Classic mode is okay. I'd have to say that I didn't particularly care for it in Brawl, let alone Melee.

All-Star got boring as well. I think it's just dumb. (I still haven't beat All-Star with all Chara's yet XD)

Then we come to Vs. This is the heart and soul of the game. When you're fighting with people everything else about the game fades. This is the real Super Smash Brothers, and this is what everybody wanted.

When it comes down to it, I would definately recommend this game.

10/10
Hayzer the Tazer Wrote:Isaac got an Assist Trophy instead and he's useless.

Are you kidding ? I have got a lot of KO's with Isaac.
I agree that it's alot better than Melee
Pages: 1 2